Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM

763 posts, read 507,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
U

There are more PhD's in French than there are full time jobs for them, especially since colleges have been cutting back on hiring in the humanities, especially foreign languages, for a long time. Universities almost always use their MA and PhD students to teach their low level language classes, and colleges use adjuncts. Full time positions in colleges and universities are not about teaching, they are about research. They hire people with PhDs and good research and publication records. Teaching is secondary.
I suppose you're right about the universities, but I can teach at a community college or be an adjunct professor at some university with not-so-good pay. But, as I said, I do have good prospects if go overseas to teach English (not Western Europe, though). I know people without advanced degrees who are making very decent living overseas in TEFL.

Yes, it's "PhD"! (Why on earth am I capitalizing all three letters?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,362,254 times
Do you know how tough ( or easy) it would be to get a teaching certification? My school district has a full time French teacher position advertised.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,162,294 times
French Translator Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

I don't know if that is any help.

To be a translator for the United Nations, you need command of at least two other official languages:

https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx...pe=LCEFD&FId=7

Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,431,960 times
I would teach English overseas if I were in your position. I believe teaching at a community college is good experience, but the pay is low as an adjunct instructor.

If you were to teach in public schools (K-12) your best bet is to go to a very rural area that still offers French. I think the job prospects to teach French in the US are very limited. Teaching Spanish in the US has typically a much stronger job market.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
I would teach English overseas if I were in your position. I believe teaching at a community college is good experience, but the pay is low as an adjunct instructor.

If you were to teach in public schools (K-12) your best bet is to go to a very rural area that still offers French. I think the job prospects to teach French in the US are very limited. Teaching Spanish in the US has typically a much stronger job market.
It does seem that French is becoming less and less common in high schools. German is pretty much out of the door, with rare exceptions.

In the US, there are a lot of jobs in customer service with Canadian French, but the pay is not very attractive, although you could live on it.

I know French > English translators who make good money, but they often have specialties they combine with (law, medicine, science, etc.)

I've already checked into teaching English overseas. I am astounded to see how much more attractive my resume appears to these employers as opposed to those in the US. There seems to be a slightly greater respect for learning for learning's sake in some other parts of the world

Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,162,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
It does seem that French is becoming less and less common in high schools. German is pretty much out of the door, with rare exceptions.

In the US, there are a lot of jobs in customer service with Canadian French, but the pay is not very attractive, although you could live on it.

I know French > English translators who make good money, but they often have specialties they combine with (law, medicine, science, etc.)

I've already checked into teaching English overseas. I am astounded to see how much more attractive my resume appears to these employers as opposed to those in the US. There seems to be a slightly greater respect for learning for learning's sake in some other parts of the world
That is so true. When I was in college I took courses that I was interested in - literature, journalism, world geography, history of film - in addition to the onerous general education requirements.

I delighted in studying these subjects, and no one could understand this. Learning for learning's sake is frowned upon. You're only supposed to study what is going to be on the test. Apparently many people think of college as a vocational school. When I said I was an English major, the response invariably was "so you're gonna teach?"

Of course, most Americans never read books, either. I grew up in a reading household, but then both of my parents were Europeans.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
That is so true. When I was in college I took courses that I was interested in - literature, journalism, world geography, history of film - in addition to the onerous general education requirements.

I delighted in studying these subjects, and no one could understand this. Learning for learning's sake is frowned upon. You're only supposed to study what is going to be on the test. Apparently many people think of college as a vocational school. When I said I was an English major, the response invariably was "so you're gonna teach?"

Of course, most Americans never read books, either. I grew up in a reading household, but then both of my parents were Europeans.

Yep!

When I lived in France, I couldn't believe how much more intellectual TV and movies were. And there is also a real philosophical spirit instilled in French people during their junior high school years. Does this mean then that all French are in general intellectuals? Absolutely not! I meant quite a few uneducated Frenchies who didn't know anything about anything. All that said, the culture at large fosters intellectualism much more than we do in North America, giving the overall impression of a more intellectual people. It's both annoyingly charming and quite admirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment