Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,101,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
The view that technology is killing more jobs than it is replacing is finally hitting the mainstream. The AP has a story on it, and 60 Minutes recently (1 or 2 weeks ago) did a piece on it. If this keeps up, capitalism may prove to be obsolete.

The Associated Press: AP IMPACT: Recession, tech kill middle-class jobs
Okay.

So ban bulldozers, backhoes and dump trucks from construction sites and hire men with little shovels, picks and wheelbarrows.

Make the shovels out of recyclable plastic and build a shovel recycling plant on premises.

Better yet, give the workers spoons....that will create more jobs.

Get rid of computers and have accountants do all tax returns by hand. Many, many more accounting jobs would be needed.

Get rid of ATM's.

Get rid of EZ-Pass.

Get rid of mass transit in favor of Rickshaws.

Bring back the horse and buggy.

Ban automatic car washes.

Ban large scale farming equipment. Hire hundreds of people to do the farming by hand.

The incredibly ridiculous mind of the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,561,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
25% of the American workforce worked in manufacturing about 40 years ago. Today, that number is at 8%. We're producing more goods however. How can that be? Replace a human doing repetitive tasks with a computer or robot.
40 years ago, how many American workers worked in IT? How many American workers work in IT today?

Much of the workforce has migrated to IT work, or migrated into non-IT work(payroll, sales, HR, accounting) for IT companies that have their hand in the automation.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,175,644 times
Capitalism isn't what people think it is. Capitalism really is rich people using middle and lower class people to generate income through a business. A capitalist gets to use the market, use the banking/monetary system to their advantage at the cost of others. Capitalists get to go bankrupt over and over when their idea doesn't work with infinite chances to get it right and entice others into indentured servitude.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,236,795 times
It isn't 'killing jobs' it is changing the nature of jobs. Technological progress is essential to a capitalistic system. Productivity increases which is the only reason wages are able to increase with inflation as they have done over the last 70 years in this country.

We need to thank technology, not fight against it.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,401,204 times
Yet we're being told we have to import over 100k immigrants a year to do these disappearing middle class jobs.

My a-z-z.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,434,723 times
In healthcare it is one of the best things going. Take a lab at the hospital, our hospital anyway. Your in the hospital and a Doctor orders tests done on your blood lets say. The Doctor wants 5 tests done on the blood. In the past someone would draw your blood and deliver it to the lab where it would be taken to five differant diagnostic machines. As soon as one test is done the blood would be removed and delivered to the next machine. Information from each machine would be diagnosed and after all tests were completed information would be hand delivered to a Doctor to look at the results. A report would be put together and your Doctor would get that information.

Today someone still draws your blood and takes the sample to the lab where it is placed on a machine. A tech enters into a computer the kind of tests that are needed for the sample. The machine delivers the sample to each diagnostic device. Results are compiled and a report is sent to the Lab Doctor. Results are also sent to your Doctor, more than likely ending up on their phone or iPad in real time. You have eliminated anywhere from 3 to 7 people in the process. At the same time few people were taking the jobs anyway. What you had was employees getting lots of overtime to make the process happen.

In todays hospital information is king. Getting it fast is what is wanted. We used to have machines that would process your X Rays. Those are done on computer now. Charting used to be done by hand, it is done on computer now and all that information is available to all concerned parties in real time. You used to have to fill out tons of paperwork in the past most of it redundent. Not so today. So many things to mention that it would take pages of posts to mention it all.

Still people are working. They just do differant things. When jobs close down other jobs open up. The problem that I see is old school workers are not always prepaired to take on the new jobs.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,586,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

So ban bulldozers, backhoes and dump trucks from construction sites and hire men with little shovels, picks and wheelbarrows.

Make the shovels out of recyclable plastic and build a shovel recycling plant on premises.

Better yet, give the workers spoons....that will create more jobs.

Get rid of computers and have accountants do all tax returns by hand. Many, many more accounting jobs would be needed.

Get rid of ATM's.

Get rid of EZ-Pass.

Get rid of mass transit in favor of Rickshaws.

Bring back the horse and buggy.

Ban automatic car washes.

Ban large scale farming equipment. Hire hundreds of people to do the farming by hand.

The incredibly ridiculous mind of the left.
Uh huh. Dude, YOU will eventually be replaced by a computer, machine, etc. It's the wave (good-bye!) of the future. So you'd better learn to love it!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,586,011 times
"Brick and mortar" is being replaced by "on-line commerce" all over the grid...

Some of it's good, some of it's sad.

I just know I really loved hanging out at the bookstore or going to the video store or music store. I miss the social interactions.

Yet I love the convenience of ordering on-line and it's at my door within days.

It's a mixed bag...

But yes, unless you've been living under a rock, many jobs are being lost to technology and outsourcing.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM

3,958 posts, read 6,887,102 times
Just because technology advances doesn't mean we will all be out of jobs and living poor as unemployed people. There will always be jobs to be had. Whether you want to grow WITH technology or slowly be overtaken by it is up to you. Anybody currently residing in a first world countries have a one up against other underdeveloped countries. That is why its a waste when we see people who don't take advantage of our education system and availability of technology.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,775,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The problem that I see is old school workers are not always prepaired to take on the new jobs.
THAT is the real problem. Well, I wouldn't use the term "old school", but anyways...

I could eventually find myself and my occupation phased out through pervasive technology. It won't happen overnight though. My field will always be here, but the wide spread need of it will die down substantially, eventually. But at what point do I retrain? Now? Or in 20 years? Give up a nice paying job that I love for something else that might get phased out in 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment