Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 20,985 times

Advertisements

I've been at my current employer for roughly eight and a half months. It's an entry-level position requiring a degree with a small company of around 50 employees. While the position wasn't exactly as described and I don't really enjoy it, my main concern is stability. There is constantly talk between management about downsizing the company, closing the company and starting over with just a few employees and keeping it small, getting rid of entry-level employees in the position I'm in and replacing them with experienced hires, etc. I've never really felt there was much job security here, even from day one.

I've recently started applying to other jobs as I'd rather move on as opposed to being replaced or laid off and have a resume gap. I fully expect to be asked in interviews why I'm seeking a new job after less than a year here. Would responding with my concerns about downsizing and the general lack of stability be a valid answer? I really don't feel that saying the job wasn't as described or that I don't enjoy the work would be a good response, but I wanted to get some thoughts on the matter. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,022,418 times
If this applies I'd say you are looking for something more in line with your skill set, something a bit more challenging, and yes, you could drop in that you were told the company is downsizing and because you are so new there is likely you will be let go because of a "last hired, first fired" policy.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,865,195 times
I wouldn't say anything about the company downsizing, its irrelevant and could potentially be confidential information. Not saying you would get in trouble for stating such but it really won't affect your chances of getting hired.

I suggest you tell potential employers that you just want something more in tune with your skill set. Make sure to tell them you enjoy your job for what it is.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,117,415 times
I agree with ChiGuy2.5. Saying anything that is the least bit negative about another company won't get you hired. The ABC Company (hiring company) will take into consideration that if you were to leave them, you could go to The XYZ Compnay (the next company) and say negative things about The ABC Company.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,170,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingGood View Post
Would responding with my concerns about downsizing and the general lack of stability be a valid answer? I really don't feel that saying the job wasn't as described or that I don't enjoy the work would be a good response, but I wanted to get some thoughts on the matter. Thanks!
Concerns about downsizing = good answer

Job wasn't as described/don't enjoy it = bad answer

Rule of thumb: When asked questions about a former or current employer that leaves room for you to paint it in a negative light, don't. Instead, paint it in a good light first, then say you're leaving for a reason that is reasonable and doesn't paint yourself in a bad light.

Example: Why did you leave X Company after only 10 months?

Answer: "X Company was a an excellent business and they treated me very well/I learned quite a bit/great place to work, but I'm looking for _________."

Looking can be anything from:

- Better opportunity
- Growth opportunity to further my career
- Looking for a more professional position
- Looking for a position that I can optimize my skillset
- Looking for an organization that I can contribute more to through creative ideas, contribute more than just the job description.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
Concern about downsizing/layoffs is a great reason to look elsewhere. Leave it as a quick one or two sentence response and then wait for the next question from the interviewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment