Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,331,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
"Confucius say "Young dog often the one who barks first"
Yeah I know I still have a lot to learn which is why I came here for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 AM

428 posts, read 418,179 times
From a person that had been in the same exact position, they didn't restructure poorly, they did exactly what they wanted to that they thought was right... Think of it from their perspective. They make business decisions based on the business, not on the people that work there (more often than not). With this said, they expect you to be in step with any changes. You were flattered by their compliments on your good work, so one would expect more responsibilities to be given- which, you were, regardless of how it changed your other duties that you were just getting used to becoming proficient in. It is annoying to have a restructure done like that when you're new to a company....... Your boss and the boss's boss and the CEO-- you need to trust their plans for the company that you are saying you really really love, and deal with this in the meantime. Try to take the four disgruntled months and today start with a new attitude of looking at these things as a challenge... If you overcome them, that will feel awesome. Look at your processes and try to improve your own efficient... And like someone else here said, let the boss (who does sound incompetent, or a better way to look at it is- maybe the boss is as overwhelmed as you in the new restructuring and also trying to get used to it, regardless of how he got the job and how much influence the CEO was in him getting it)... So maybe the boss is more similar to you than you think. One last precaution- do not begin looking at these people like they are incompetent when they are the decision makers, or you will feel more and more swamped and begin to slip on the job, which you do not want. Expecting an enormous jump in salary is unlikely, but after you put another six months in and you are proving yourself in the work, suggest a title change... Be willing to take that title change with very little, or even no, raise............ A better job title will help you more in the long run when you do decide to leave. Good luck, like I said, been there done that, so hang in there.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
From a person that had been in the same exact position, they didn't restructure poorly, they did exactly what they wanted to that they thought was right... Think of it from their perspective. They make business decisions based on the business, not on the people that work there (more often than not). With this said, they expect you to be in step with any changes. You were flattered by their compliments on your good work, so one would expect more responsibilities to be given- which, you were, regardless of how it changed your other duties that you were just getting used to becoming proficient in. It is annoying to have a restructure done like that when you're new to a company....... Your boss and the boss's boss and the CEO-- you need to trust their plans for the company that you are saying you really really love, and deal with this in the meantime. Try to take the four disgruntled months and today start with a new attitude of looking at these things as a challenge... If you overcome them, that will feel awesome. Look at your processes and try to improve your own efficient... And like someone else here said, let the boss (who does sound incompetent, or a better way to look at it is- maybe the boss is as overwhelmed as you in the new restructuring and also trying to get used to it, regardless of how he got the job and how much influence the CEO was in him getting it)... So maybe the boss is more similar to you than you think. One last precaution- do not begin looking at these people like they are incompetent when they are the decision makers, or you will feel more and more swamped and begin to slip on the job, which you do not want. Expecting an enormous jump in salary is unlikely, but after you put another six months in and you are proving yourself in the work, suggest a title change... Be willing to take that title change with very little, or even no, raise............ A better job title will help you more in the long run when you do decide to leave. Good luck, like I said, been there done that, so hang in there.
Wow thanks so much for this input. This was really helpful!

I think what has happened is that I have just been frustrated lately and under a lot of stress. There has been a lot of political drama and also I am carrying the load of two positions and also that "managing" my boss. I have been sick with a cold and yesterday my boss just p*****d me off, so I was more venting yesterday.

I am realizing that this is a much more delicate situation that I originally thought.

However, I have just been notified by someone that some execs are trying to get him out of here. So who knows. Maybe this situation will take care of itself.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM

519 posts, read 1,025,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Why are people saying that I am trying to throw my new boss under the bus? I am trying to avoid that if you would read.
I think you're missing the point. Only in your mind are you "avoiding throwing your boss under the bus". You couldn't do that if you wanted to. Its a little fantasy you've created for yourself where you get to determine what happens to your superior. I get the impression from this thread that you have an ego not entirely tied to reality.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I think you're missing the point. Only in your mind are you "avoiding throwing your boss under the bus". You couldn't do that if you wanted to. Its a little fantasy you've created for yourself where you get to determine what happens to your superior. I get the impression from this thread that you have an ego not entirely tied to reality.
I get that, but people are saying that I am trying to throw my boss under the bus. Look back at other posters. They are telling me I am unprofessional because I am trying to throw my boss under the bus. I was just reiterating that I am not, I was just merely stating that I am not trying to. I think you are missing my point entirely, which is: How do I get out of this situation? I am unhappy with my situation, and it's primarily due to my boss. Whether or not I could in "reality" throw him under the bus, that is not the point of my thread. It's merely seeking advice on different ways to help cope and deal with this situation. Me throwing my boss under the bus was brought up by someone else, not me and I could care less cause that is not what I am seeking advice on.

Besides he was already thrown under the bus yesterday by a director. Supposedly some execs are very unhappy and having meeting today about it. So how knows what will happen.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,295,672 times
Quote:
Or perhaps restructuring my position?

But honestly, I really really love this company and I really love my job. I don't want to leave. I am thinking of making a case and saying that what I do really does not align with my current boss. It aligns better with other departments/people. My old deparment basically oversaw two realms. It was split in two and I have been moved to the realm where it really only 15% of my work is related to it.

I really don't want to leave this place, I am learning so much, have an amazing reputation, and have worked too hard at the company. Not trying to gloat, but everyone is really impressed with me and see my potential which is why I think it's possible for me to make a case.

Thanks for the advice.
Since you are sort of the Golden child of the moment, perhaps take your ideas for improvements to the Bosses Boss, the CEO? You could reframe it so that you aren't really throwing your immediate boss under the bus, but you may well be able to convince the Head Boss of your ideas to better the company, and at the same time look even more Golden.
Other than that...you may really need someone on your side that recognizes how worthless your immediate boss is. Plus, keep that list you've written for us...if you get a bad eval you may want it.
Tough situation...Hope it works out for you.
EDIT: I saw your above post just as I finished mine. Hang in, seems like Karma may be taking care of this issue for you. Stay Golden

Last edited by JanND; 01-31-2013 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Since you are sort of the Golden child of the moment, perhaps take your ideas for improvements to the Bosses Boss, the CEO? You could reframe it so that you aren't really throwing your immediate boss under the bus, but you may well be able to convince the Head Boss of your ideas to better the company, and at the same time look even more Golden.
Other than that...you may really need someone on your side that recognizes how worthless your immediate boss is. Plus, keep that list you've written for us...if you get a bad eval you may want it.
Tough situation...Hope it works out for you.
EDIT: I saw your above post just as I finished mine. Hang in, seems like Karma may be taking care of this issue for you. Stay Golden
Exactly. I am thinking of just going to my boss' boss (who is #2 after the CEO) and explain to him that with my new duties I think my role has really changed and my skills and potential could be better matched if under a different title/department. TBH that is actually the truth too. The company is going through growing pains, so it's always restructuring and creating new positions and building new departments. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. My department started out with 5 people. Two go fired after a few months. Then my department was disbanded and they created two new ones out of it. The second then became merged with another one when it was supposed to be stand alone. So a case can be made because the structure is always changing.

Yes, yesterday an exec was pissed about the same situation that I was, and I have been told that exec is going to try to get my boss canned via I have heard the grapevine.

Thanks for the advice and support!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,447,253 times
Work hard. Be positive. Keep your head down. Corporate work can be like the OK Corral, and you don't know who has the biggest gun, or who can shoot straight.

Things may take time. Don't expect fast changes.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,131,125 times
Quote:
Why are people saying that I am trying to throw my new boss under the bus? I am trying to avoid that if you would read.
Get with the program.

Speaking with your boss' boss about your boss is throwing the boss under the bus. (poetic, eh? )

Even if it's just explaining that your duties don't align with your boss' duties. (It's condescending; execs don't like that)

I read what you posted.

And I comprehend it more than you may think.

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep your mouth shut. Listen much.

Do this and you will be rewarded, grasshopper.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,472,826 times
I know you are not wanting to complain about your boss, but just in case the thought overtakes, remember that it will get you nowhere, unless you also have a personal relationship that exists outside the organization with the CEO. Depending upon the organizational structure, there may be merit in listening to an opinion of someone on an equal footing, i.e., an executive (or better group of executives) brings the matter to the attention of the CEO who may realize that the new hire is not working out. Then, the CEO can then decide to have a chat with said hire, or allow a personnel decision to be made outside the scope of their friendship. However, since you are not a personal friend of the CEO and you are the subordinate (at least in terms of organizational structure) of the person in question, stay out of the situation.

Also, do not discuss the matter further with anyone who works at your company, or who knows people who work at your company. If there are people working on the situation, just listen if someone says something, but do not comment, save to say that you hadn't noticed whatever perceived deficiency. You absolutely do not want to get the reputation of gossiping behind the scenes, and though it could be an innocent venting discussion, be wary. Someone else, who works for another executive might innocently say "Oh, Chicagoist 123 mentioned that to me." when said exec mentions something to their team about a problem in your department. Or, even worse, you have a work friend who has the ear of an exec, possibly even the CEO, who thinks that they are intervening on your behalf by bringing your concerns to the decision maker. Your work friend is not trying to attack you, and may think that they are helping, but you are effectively branded as someone who talks, and for some, that may call into question breach of trust since it gives the appearance that you do not support your boss, so what happens when you no longer support them? That could close further opportunities in the company, or stall your career, so it's best to stay above the fray and get along with everyone, revealing nothing of your personal feelings about how the organization, or specific personnel within it, could be better managed.

I agree that the focus should be on your work, and how you can best stay within the company, including looking for any available opportunities for a lateral move into another department. One other issue with respect to your position is that it may have been realigned in that manner as it was the only way it could have been funded, given the elimination of the position above yours. You are not privy to any movement in that regard, so I would not second guess the situation. My instinct tells me that the execs/HR made a personnel decision in your case, i.e., wanted to keep you in the organization, hence the realignment that may not feel well suited to you, but one under which they could fund your position. If it came down to keeping you or keeping your boss in that department, say there was only one position -- well, you'd be the one scrambling to find something else in the organization or dusting off your resume.

I know someone who is a functional illiterate (well, close to it), who has a very good position because he is a relative of the CEO's wife (different last name than hers). And, to put it simply, it's easier to pay this guy, and have a staff to manage him than it is to listen to drama at home about how he is not helping the situation by keeping her relative employed. He's a nice guy, and gets along with people, but is similar to the boss that you described in your situation where he's a bit clueless, though in this case it's not because he is a new hire. Personal decisions influence personnel decisions, and you have a CEO who recommended the new hire, so tread very carefully.

Keep doing a good job, and work with your boss, staying out of the politics of the situation. Persevering under less than ideal conditions, following this transition, will tend to serve you better than would offering suggestions as to how to realign your position, without knowing the business decisions that went into place when the department was restructured. Also, your boss may hear of a promotion for you, before you do, and could easily put in a word if you are a good employee, since that would be a feather in his cap with respect to recognizing talent in the organization and promoting the goals of the company.

Navigating a situation like this is a minefield, and should not be undertaken lightly. You do not have knowledge of the restructuring, nor the exact terms of the relationship between the CEO and your boss. So, I would not react on imperfect information. Find a friend outside of work, or a family member, to whom you can vent, and to whom they can vent about their work issues, and commiserate together, but keep it out of the workplace. If you don't want to confide in a friend, write it out in a cathartic letter and then burn it in your fireplace, anything to get the feelings out of your system, so that you can deal with the situation that is a "right now" situation, likely not permanent as you may have a promotion forthcoming with the performance review.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment