Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

None of this is really relevant when you don't care what you do and would prefer to do "nothing". Surely there's something you do which excites you and which you might consider as a career field? To even contemplate several decades of doing something/anything just to keep a roof over your head sounds ghastly. Maybe you should set up an appointment with a good career counselor who might be able to wade through this lethargical mindset and provide you with some possible options and motivation. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would go back and finish your degree. Look for internships that may be of interest to you in your career field. This will give you networking opportunities, as well as a possible step into a career you enjoy. With only two years left, you may regret not finishing college.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotskillz View Post
I have almost 60 credits, not sure of the exact number. And I agree with you, it's not for me. Despite doing very well in school and everyone telling me I'm "wasting my potential", I truly hate school with a passion and I'm not looking to specialize in areas like medicine, comp. science, law, engineering, etc. But people keep telling me I won't make it far in life without a degree, I won't lie....it kinda scares me if I choose not to go back knowing employers will pick someone with a degree over me. So I'd go back if it would help me even if it's possible to get the kind of job I want without it.
Pardon me for being blunt and making a terrible pun, but you need to get some skillz. From what you've posted, you come across as someone who has just kind of floated through life without really applying yourself. If that take is accurate, then the reality will have to change. (And that wasn't meant as an insult- I was exactly like that too.)

Whether you acquire those skills as part of a 2-year or 4-year program, employers will hire you based on what they think you can do (and yes, most are more likely to give you a chance if you have a 4-year degree). But don't get caught up in thinking about what you want to do for the next 30 or 40 years. Settle on something that you think you would like. If it turns out that you don't like that thing, you'll at least be in a position to identify what you really WOULD like with the advantage of already having a job that can support you. Just pick SOMETHING. Get started.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
You are in real need of a book - "What Color is Your Parachute" There are various revisions to it that have happened over the years, and you would do well to get some of the older copies as well as the most recent. The whole thrust of it is to answer the types of questions you are asking here.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Hobart Institute of Welding.

Get your 6G AWS pipe certifications and you'll have all the work you can handle.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
You could earn 40K in many professions, but that takes some experience and time. Best to start working now, and taking classes part time on the side if you wish. College teaches you how to do things in academia world. A job will teach you how they do things in the real world. Employers want folks with practical skills which are sometimes taught in college, but heavily refined in the workplace.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 6,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
None of this is really relevant when you don't care what you do and would prefer to do "nothing". Surely there's something you do which excites you and which you might consider as a career field? To even contemplate several decades of doing something/anything just to keep a roof over your head sounds ghastly. Maybe you should set up an appointment with a good career counselor who might be able to wade through this lethargical mindset and provide you with some possible options and motivation. Good luck.
Nothing does. Sure I'm interested in things, but not enough to turn them into careers. I'm ok with this mindset. As long as I have enough time to pursue my hobbies, I'd be willing to work an average job, and if this mindset happens to change down the road, I can always work my way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would go back and finish your degree. Look for internships that may be of interest to you in your career field. This will give you networking opportunities, as well as a possible step into a career you enjoy. With only two years left, you may regret not finishing college.
I only have 2 years left if I get a useless liberal arts degree (but it's not like I'd be planning to write if I majored in English anyway). It would take me 4 years if I decide on a Business Administration degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Pardon me for being blunt and making a terrible pun, but you need to get some skillz. From what you've posted, you come across as someone who has just kind of floated through life without really applying yourself. If that take is accurate, then the reality will have to change. (And that wasn't meant as an insult- I was exactly like that too.)

Whether you acquire those skills as part of a 2-year or 4-year program, employers will hire you based on what they think you can do (and yes, most are more likely to give you a chance if you have a 4-year degree). But don't get caught up in thinking about what you want to do for the next 30 or 40 years. Settle on something that you think you would like. If it turns out that you don't like that thing, you'll at least be in a position to identify what you really WOULD like with the advantage of already having a job that can support you. Just pick SOMETHING. Get started.
I have a job. I'm also going to start volunteering next week at a hospital. When you said "without applying yourself", in what way do you mean? I have a 4.0 GPA if that counts. I agree about the "floating through life" part. But nothing interests me to THAT point, so I'm saying I'll be ok with an office job. I'd hate it because work is work (even if it involves something that I "like"), but I think it's more bearable than any other kind of job for me. At least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
You need to think about getting a degree that is relevant to the career field you're planning on going into. Getting a random degree isn't just a free pass to any job you happen across, especially when you don't have actual job experience in a field that you're trying to get employed in. Before you start planning majors, start planning what you actually want to do. In the mean time, you can get general ed stuff out of the way. Get with your advisor and schedule classes that will be needed for any major. During that time, start surveying the job market where you're at or where you're planning to live for a while and see what's paying. See what's stable. See what's available. And if you don't like any of those options, then you need to either think about moving somewhere else, or changing your goals.

You really need to be TRAINING for a career, not just getting a degree as some sort of badge of honor and expecting everyone to either give you a job or pay you more because you have a degree. And the thing about focused degrees are it's usually a requirement that you do an apprenticeship at an actual job as part of getting that degree, for which there are many programs. This gives you practical experience that you can put on your resume', and is better than just saying "I got this here degree... can I job?".

Start thinking in terms of what it is you actually want to do, and focus your educational efforts there. A BA isn't going to do you much good if you're planning on becoming a nurse, etc. These things aren't just pieces of paper. They're proof that you have had training to do a particular job. Keep that in mind.
Right....a business degree. Something that involves organization and paperwork. And I already know it's not a free pass, which is why I said it's something that merely helps. Everything else is experience and skills, a good resume, maybe some references....stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
P.S... If you're looking for something like 40k to start, you could be a freaking secretary for that. And I'm saying this from a Louisiana perspective. Set your goals higher, but make sure they're realistic for your area. You can earn a lot if you invest your time wisely into the kind of education you're seeking and what the market is for that skill in your area.
Sounds good to me. My question was should I get a BA for that? Or would it be a better choice to do it without college but with more experience. Either way, how do I get experience in that area if no one wants to hire someone without it? Also, a nearby community college offers a certificate or an associate's for administrative assistant, would that be a good idea? I just don't want to waste any more time than I already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
what are the degree choices for the 4 year degree?
The usual like accounting, finance (these would really bore me to death though), marketing, economics, information systems, international business, human resource management, and a general business administration degree which is what I think I'll go for, but I heard broad degrees like that are also useless. However, if it will help me be a secretary or anything like that, I'll do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Are you a good artist? You might be able to make a decent living an artist or musician but making it in those fields is about as likely as someone making it in professional sports.
I'm very talented in drawing. But you're right, there's really no way I could make it. Especially because I'd hate to do it for a living, so whatever miniscule chance there was to begin with is completely gone.

----------

That being said, I appreciate all the replies.

Last edited by aintgotskillz; 02-02-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
I'm looking for some advice.

To keep a very long story as short as I can, if you go back in time and ask the 10 year-old me what she wanted to be when she grew up, the answer would be "nothing". It's true even now.
That reminds me of the protagonist in "Office Space."

Quote:
I know that clerical jobs don't really require a bachelor's, but if it will make me a bit more employable, would it matter if it's, say, an English degree or not?
Nope. For clerical, office admin type jobs, it really doesn't matter whether you go to college or not. You can get your first job through a temp agency, learn the skills you'll need (excel, word, etc.), and from that point forward it's really a "skills-based" "experience-based" job.

Quote:
Lastly, I've looked at different job postings for a while now, and most, if not all, employers look for experience. How do you get office experience if no one wants to hire someone with no experience?
Start out as a temp.

Quote:
I'd think volunteering, an internship, or shadowing would work, but does that even count as work experience?
Nope. And you shouldn't do it anyway, because why work if you're not getting paid for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 6,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That reminds me of the protagonist in "Office Space."

Nope. For clerical, office admin type jobs, it really doesn't matter whether you go to college or not. You can get your first job through a temp agency, learn the skills you'll need (excel, word, etc.), and from that point forward it's really a "skills-based" "experience-based" job.

Start out as a temp.

Nope. And you shouldn't do it anyway, because why work if you're not getting paid for it.
I keep hearing about that movie, maybe I should watch it.

Thanks for the advice, but also, given that I'm most likely not going to do this type of job for the rest of my life (most people don't stick to one thing for that long anyway) and it's really just a starting point, would it be better if I got a degree anyway?

I'm really unsure at this point on the decisions I make that could affect me down the line. Hence the thread. I want to plan it right so I'll have more options.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
I'm looking for some advice.

To keep a very long story as short as I can, if you go back in time and ask the 10 year-old me what she wanted to be when she grew up, the answer would be "nothing". It's true even now. Simply put, I don't care as long as whatever job I get pays the bills. And I would prefer if it was an office job, like an administrative assistant that makes at least $15 an hour/30k a year (ideally, I'd make 40k).

Now onto my problem. I've already finished 2 and a half years of college but I dropped out for this semester (that's a different story). I might go back in the fall and I can think of three choices: 1) Get a liberal arts degree which will only take me 2 more years to finish. 2) Get a business degree which will take me 4 years (the business school has a different set of general ed requirements and I'll basically need to start from scratch) and 3) forget about college altogether. I could also get an associate degree but I wonder how useful that would be...

I know that clerical jobs don't really require a bachelor's, but if it will make me a bit more employable, would it matter if it's, say, an English degree or not? I don't want to do 4 more years if the major doesn't matter as long as it's a degree. Would deciding to not go to college be shooting myself in the foot even if I'm not looking to be rich and "successful"? I don't want to starve either, though.

Lastly, I've looked at different job postings for a while now, and most, if not all, employers look for experience. How do you get office experience if no one wants to hire someone with no experience? I'd think volunteering, an internship, or shadowing would work, but does that even count as work experience? I have a part time job at the moment, but I'm paid cash so I can't even put that on my resume.
Do what you're passionate about. Don't second guess. Life is way too long to do something you don't like for the majority of it. Take it from someone who has been there, done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment