Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

It depends on the office. I had a job where my boss was childless, so was the second in command (in fact he was 55 and childless and never married)and so were most of my coworkers. My employer offered paid leave to anyone who needed it regardless of why and several coworkers took medical leave for non maternity reasons.

I have worked places where parents left earlier, got more benefits and yes I had issues with this. If a parent leaves early I should be able to as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM

316 posts, read 214,562 times
t's because we (as a society) value family above all else. More than taking time off to go to a ballgame with friends, getting out early to enjoy a walk in the woods while it's still light out, or just hanging out with your friends.

It's a pity in the 21st unmarried childless folk are perceived as lacking value or responsibility. Married w/o kids often fit into this category. Not everyone is cut out for marriage and kids. Childless give to society in way parents can't. Yes we need the future generation to be produced but life isn't one size fits all.

Many people seem to think that certain types of people "have it tougher" or are "discriminated against" in the workplace. Usually they think that people like themselves are discriminated against. It helps when people can have someone or something to blame for whatever issue they may be having in the workplace (or in any other aspect of life for that matter).

It depends on where you work. My childless/single brother has no trouble getting time off maybe because he's built up personal days. I also read about parents who think they are being treated unfairly in the work place. The thing is they chose to have their kids. If they can't juggle work and kids, one of them should stay home and stop accruing society of being anti-family. Business i business.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
In general, yes. MWKs (Married With Kids) people tend to stick together and they tend to talk about their kids a lot, then they think you're weird for being X age and not having kids. I've experienced this myself and it isn't nice. I'd imagine that it'd be even worse for unmarried, childless single women. The peer pressure would make me want to jump of a bridge, but thankfully I ceased caring about conformism long ago.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
In general, yes. MWKs (Married With Kids) people tend to stick together and they tend to talk about their kids a lot, then they think you're weird for being X age and not having kids. I've experienced this myself and it isn't nice. I'd imagine that it'd be even worse for unmarried, childless single women. The peer pressure would make me want to jump of a bridge, but thankfully I ceased caring about conformism long ago.
People can be judgemental for sure. Throw in being divorced, and welcome to my world.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM

38 posts, read 200,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Just curious as to what you guys thought about this:

Do you think single, childless people have it tougher in the workplace than those who have a family to look after?

For example, when there is a school holiday that is not a company holiday, I always see people taking the day off to be with their kid.

Or if their kid has a sports activity, play, ballet recital, anything like that, and they say, "Hey, I'm leaving early today to go to my kid's activity," It's viewed as, "Awww, what a good parent. Go for it."

I don't have kids or a wife so I never get to go to anything like that. I'm at work all day, every day, with no excuses. Don't get me wrong, I never complain about it or anything like that, and I do what work needs to be done.

I just think it's ironic that if I went to my supervisor and said, "Hey my friend's band is playing at this concert hall this afternoon, so I thought I would take off a bit early and go see it." He would be like, "What? No you're not."

Whereas if one of the moms or dads said, "Hey, my daughter has a concert recital at school this afternoon, so I'm going to duck out early to attend it." It would be just fine.
I totally agree with you. I don't have kids and I felt like this in my last job. All the women that had kids left early for school functions and sports on a weekly basis. Yet when those of us without kids wanted to do something, we got grief. Its ridiculous.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
If the people with kids are getting their work done, and using their vacation time or making up the time, then I see nothing wrong with it. If they are just getting free time off that others aren't getting, then it is not fair.

One thing to keep in mind that is that any workplace is going to, whether intentionally or not, favor certain categories of people over others, mostly based on the biases of the boss. It becomes a viscious cycle where, once word gets out that a particular employer favors certain type of people, that employer attracts that type of employee, at the expense of others. And that can make the members of the less advantaged group feel more and more isolated. For example, if an employer (such as the one the OP is talking about) becomes known for favoring parents, then parents will be attracted to that company, and non-parents will want to avoid it. That, in turn, can make the non-parents feel more and more isolated when their coworkers have a disproportionate number of parents, while most of the non-parents leave and find work elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I dont think my dog being sick would be met with the same sympathy or understanding.
I think you'd be surprised. If your dog was puking blood, I betcha' your boss would let you leave.

I used to be childless and often thought the same thing. I used to tease the parents I worked with "Man, I can wait to have a kid so I can stay home on snow days, and stay home when my kid is sick." Always joking, never serious. Because: it's so not a big deal. Why does this really bother you? You ARE single. Your schedule IS more flexible.
Raising kids is a lot of work. Cut parents some slack.
I am so sorry you don't have to leave your job early and make sure someone picks up your slack so you can go home and get puked on by your little kid. You poor guy. or waste all your vacation time on snifflers and snow days while your single friends jet off to Mexico every year.
You don't have kids. You can stay a few minutes late to help out. Don't be a jerk. Suck it up. Be a team player. It is appreciated by those that do have kids.
It's not all rainbows and daisies.
hehehehe

Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM

194 posts, read 635,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think you'd be surprised. If your dog was puking blood, I betcha' your boss would let you leave.

I used to be childless and often thought the same thing. I used to tease the parents I worked with "Man, I can wait to have a kid so I can stay home on snow days, and stay home when my kid is sick." Always joking, never serious. Because: it's so not a big deal. Why does this really bother you? You ARE single. Your schedule IS more flexible.
I am so sorry you don't have to leave your job early and make sure someone picks up your slack so you can go home and get puked on by your little kid. You poor guy. or waste all your vacation time on snifflers and snow days while your single friends jet off to Mexico every year.
You don't have kids. You can stay a few minutes late to help out. Don't be a jerk. Suck it up. Be a team player. It is appreciated by those that do have kids.
hehehehe
I do stay late, suck it up, and be a team player, because I AM in that situation. But it seems weird to me that you say, "You ARE single. Your schedule IS more flexible." and use that as a determining factor in who should be working extra and covering for other people and who shouldn't.

Where do we draw the line in personal life choices?

Should every employee have to fill out a form with how many friends they have, and those with fewer friends work longer because their schedule IS more flexible?

Should gay people a chance to go to their gay pride rallies while straight people have to stay and work, without having the same opportunity to go to an event they are passionate about?

I'm just saying that being married / having kids is a personal life choice, not a professional career choice. And personal life choices shouldn't reduce or expand someone's work responsibilities more than another person with a different personal life choice.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
There is definitely a double standard. Its more acceptable for those with kids and spouses to leave early or come in late due to their commitments. If you're single and childless people do think that your life should only revolve around work. Here's where you just don't share your personal life. Many times when I first start a job I've been asked my marital status and whether or not I have kids. I refuse to say. Because I've had coworkers use it against me by saying since I don't have kids I should be available for so and so...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

hehehehe
Not a guy, but thanks. Like I said in my other post, If I can go to grad school full time and work full time and still make it in on time and stay for my allotted hours, so can people with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment