Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 AM

34 posts, read 60,897 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Nevada to Texas. What are some tips that will help me land a job beforehand? Are you less desirable to employers if you're in the process of moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Do you have a local address in Texas yet?

If not, see if you can use a realtive's or friend's.

Out of area cell phone shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,472 times
most recruiters will skip over your resume if you dont have a local phone number and address. you wont even get to the point to explain that youre in the process of moving. if you are looking for a company to relocate you leave your current contact info. if you dont need or want relocation assistance you should get local contact info

1. get a local number through google voice that transfers to your cell phone
2. get a cheap prepaid cell phone with a local number
3. change your current cell phone number to a local number to where you want to work
4. use a friend or relatives address if you dont already have a local address there
5. you can also get a local address from a mail service company or UPS stores typically give local physical addresses instead of a PO Box when you rent a box from them

other than the contact details all other job search strategies should be relatively consistent with what you use

Good luck

Last edited by caradvice; 03-03-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
It depends on the job. If you are looking for a waitressing job, it will be hard to get. There are many people looking for those jobs locally.

If you are in a hard to fill job like databases, programming, surgeon, VP, it will be easier.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It depends on the job. If you are looking for a waitressing job, it will be hard to get. There are many people looking for those jobs locally.

If you are in a hard to fill job like databases, programming, surgeon, VP, it will be easier.
I'd have to agree... I did a FL-WA move for my CNC job a couple years ago. The field is plentiful in this area and even today when I browse the local job listings I always see open positions.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM

22 posts, read 51,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
most recruiters will skip over your resume if you dont have a local phone number and address. you wont even get to the point to explain that youre in the process of moving. if you are looking for a company to relocate you leave your current contact info. if you dont need or want relocation assistance you should get local contact info

1. get a local number through google voice that transfers to your cell phone
2. get a cheap prepaid cell phone with a local number
3. change your current cell phone number to a local number to where you want to work
4. use a friend or relatives address if you dont already have a local address there
5. you can also get a local address from a mail service company or UPS stores typically give local physical addresses instead of a PO Box when you rent a box from them

other than the contact details all other job search strategies should be relatively consistent with what you use

Good luck
Why don't they even ask if you are willing to relocate?

What if you live about an hour drive away?
Since they probably would be wanting you to come see them for face to face interview, shouldn't you move anyway if you want to get a job at a certain city?

Since renting a room could could be expensive would staying at a homeless shelter while looking for job be a viable way?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:06 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkSmith View Post
Why don't they even ask if you are willing to relocate?

What if you live about an hour drive away?
Since they probably would be wanting you to come see them for face to face interview, shouldn't you move anyway if you want to get a job at a certain city?

Since renting a room could could be expensive would staying at a homeless shelter while looking for job be a viable way?
the problem is they wont look at your resume without local contact info so you wont get the chance to be asked if you are willing to relocate. typically most companies define local as within 50 miles. some people (HR and HM) will have a shorter mile radius for their preference. they limit the search to local candidates for a variety of reasons

1. they can.
2. if there is an abundance of qualified talent locally why increase the time, expenses, and risks of early departure by including out of area candidates
3. if you are not local it requires relocation. which can be really good or really bad. for example if relocating from say CA to MA not only is there a change in job its a change in location, culture, time difference, climate, possibly moving to an area with no friends or family, all of which require an assimilation period and can cause stress which can decrease the chances of being successful in the role and increase the chance of the person not liking the new area MA and moving back to CA
4. for those who are married even if the person hired loves the new city their spouse may not and he/ she may insist on the person moving back
5. # 3 & #4 wastes the company time and money so there is known fear that hiring non local candidates is risky in terms of attrition
6. for candidates who are slightly out of the radius theyre afraid that youll tire from an extended commute
7. companies dont want to pay relocation costs

while its true that many people can move and be successful in a new city many companies have been burned in the past or know others who have been burned in the past so they avoid non local candidates at all costs. there are exceptions. ive worked for a company that not only brought in many people from other states they brought in many expensive expats from other countries as well (large multinational that HQ in europe). also i know many people who have successfully gotten jobs out of state on their own.

the main issue is getting passed the HR screener. if all you have to do is list a local address and phone number on your resume (only in cases where one doesnt require relocation assistance) why not? youll get more response and actually have the opportunity to explain your case. you continue to live where you are and go to the target city when you have interviews.

if you need relocation assistance target companies that are known for considering those who are out of state. most companies who will consider out of state candidates will pay for you to come interview with them and then provide relocation assistance. so you pick your strategy - 1. try and get a company to consider you while living in a different area or 2. use local contact info to ensure that you wont be ignored simply b/c you live out of area and be willing to pay for your own relocation and travel expenses to/ from interviews

Good luck.

Last edited by caradvice; 03-05-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,862 times
"Clarify the type of job want. Are you interested in changing careers or just employers?" Babkirk asks. "Where do you want to live, including location and type of residence? What is your ideal time frame for moving?" Thanks for sharing this post....

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
the problem is they wont look at your resume without local contact info so you wont get the chance to be asked if you are willing to relocate. typically most companies define local as within 50 miles. some people (HR and HM) will have a shorter mile radius for their preference. they limit the search to local candidates for a variety of reasons

1. they can.
2. if there is an abundance of qualified talent locally why increase the time, expenses, and risks of early departure by including out of area candidates
3. if you are not local it requires relocation. which can be really good or really bad. for example if relocating from say CA to MA not only is there a change in job its a change in location, culture, time difference, climate, possibly moving to an area with no friends or family, all of which require an assimilation period and can cause stress which can decrease the chances of being successful in the role and increase the chance of the person not liking the new area MA and moving back to CA
4. for those who are married even if the person hired loves the new city their spouse may not and he/ she may insist on the person moving back
5. # 3 & #4 wastes the company time and money so there is known fear that hiring non local candidates is risky in terms of attrition
6. for candidates who are slightly out of the radius theyre afraid that youll tire from an extended commute
7. companies dont want to pay relocation costs

while its true that many people can move and be successful in a new city many companies have been burned in the past or know others who have been burned in the past so they avoid non local candidates at all costs. there are exceptions. ive worked for a company that not only brought in many people from other states they brought in many expensive expats from other countries as well (large multinational that HQ in europe). also i know many people who have successfully gotten jobs out of state on their own.

the main issue is getting passed the HR screener. if all you have to do is list a local address and phone number on your resume (only in cases where one doesnt require relocation assistance) why not? youll get more response and actually have the opportunity to explain your case. you continue to live where you are and go to the target city when you have interviews.

if you need relocation assistance target companies that are known for considering those who are out of state. most companies who will consider out of state candidates will pay for you to come interview with them and then provide relocation assistance. so you pick your strategy - 1. try and get a company to consider you while living in a different area or 2. use local contact info to ensure that you wont be ignored simply b/c you live out of area and be willing to pay for your own relocation and travel expenses to/ from interviews

Good luck.

It depends on the job though. If the industry is saturated with employees like lawyers, entry level positions, certain manufacturing positions(as Kees mentioned), HR is not interested. If somebody is planning on moving to an area with a higher demand for that industry or skill, HR will be offering promotions and falling over themselves to offer more money.

My company was sold in 2011 and laid off almost everybody. I received more calls, interviews, better job offers over 250 miles away than locally. The Dallas companies were offering huge raises to get me to move. I took an offer in Dallas, that was 50% higher than the Houston offers. I was actually going to request only a 10-15% raise. Two different HR departments told me "Well, you aren't going to move, unless we offer you a big raise. Would you take 50%?"

When I started the new job, I ran into people that already made the move. We aren't minimum wage entry level employees though. We are business professionals.

After the layoff, my ex-boss moved even further away by going 1,100 miles for a VP position without changing his address. They knew he was moving and needed more time.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 51,957 times
Quote:
When I started the new job, I ran into people that already made the move. We aren't minimum wage entry level employees though. We are business professionals.
What was/is your job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment