Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,231 times

Advertisements

I'm a remote employee in the United States. My company has a headquarters but about half of the employees are remote all around the world. Any of the non-US employees are hired as contractors. I am a normal full-time employee however since I live in the US. I work online (all communication takes place over e-mail and Skype).

Last year, I did a lot of personal international travel. Nothing changed with my U.S. residency during this time. I went to Peru for 1 month and then a few months later, I traveled through several European countries for 3 months. I entered both trips with just my US passport on what I assume is just a travel visa. My company was aware of these trips I took, but when I informed them that I still had my address in the US, they didn't seem to care.

I am now leaving the country again today to go back to Europe (I haven't been in over 6 months). My company is suddenly giving me grief over this. Apparently another of my coworkers was switched from full-time employment to contractor because he similarly decided to go travel Asia for a while, requested to be tax-exempt, and a bunch of lawyers were brought in. However, I'm merely traveling while continuing my residency in the US, not wanting to be US-tax exempt... just working as I normally do... should I be concerned? I'm not planning on any long-term stay there, somewhere between 1 and 3 months max... my company doesn't list any policy on any of this in their HR policy manual so I'm sort of confused on there suddenly being an expectation that I inform them that I am traveling.

What's the law on this kind of stuff (assuming I don't have any interest in going tax-exempt, am continuing to keep residency in the same country as the company is in, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM

107 posts, read 204,880 times
Sounds like one person screwed it up for the rest of the folks, No you should keep your tax information as is in the US unless you want to draw attention to yourself from your company (which quite frankly they don't want to be liable in paying taxes to these countries and involvement with their international regulations). Also why are you notifying your company when you are going aboard or any traveling at all even in the states? That is information they do not need to know either and you doing so just complicates matters even further. Just don't do it keep your month shut about these things .. LOL

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
Wow! I am jealous about you being able to keep a full-time job and still travel the world. Seems like the ideal job! Just curious, but what type of work do you do?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
There may be issues with their computer network when you access it abroad.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There may be issues with their computer network when you access it abroad.
My thoughts as well about accessing the employer's resources from elsewhere. The OP should probably let his manager know just to be the safe side.

I don't know about the tax situation, but I would think that you would pay as you normally would as you are a current citizen of the US. You would have to research local countries to find out if there is an issue or not. It sounds like you have a great setup.

I would try to get things clarified before making travel plans in the event the employer tells you NO at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment