Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 PM

33 posts, read 59,014 times

Advertisements

Call today from hiring manager and recruiter after interview. Want to know:

Why would I take a 15000 year pay cut? I was at my previous job for 15 years and was laid off.
Why did I take off for 4 months after laid off? I have had only 2 jobs in 25 years
Am I looking at this job because there are no other offers? Originally asked if I have been looking all this time with no luck. (I have had other offers, just not the right offers )

Mind you, I have been aggressively looking for about 4 months now, have many several interviews, some second or third, and have declined 3 offers for various reasons.

I have interviewed with 7 people on 3 different occasions at this company for a mid-level management job. All of the interviews were very successful and they really liked me (according to the recruiter, her own words).

Seems like the internal recruiter was trying to discourage me from wanting the position. I am still trying to figure out why the interrogation. It came across as extremely negative to me and very demeaning. And, the recruiter has made comments like this to me many times, despite the hiring managers wanting to bring me on board.

Once the conversation was over, they informed me that they would make their decision shortly and get back to me.

Any advice or experiences that can help me to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM

119 posts, read 410,495 times
1) Is this a career change? You could say that you're willing to take a 15k cut to move into a more promising field, or a field you feel connected to and more able to perform than say, a pencil-pusher type position. You could also say that you started at a similar/equivalent salary range on your first job and moved up to where you were (if that's the case), and that you're willing to work hard to do it again.
2) That question just strikes me as very odd. Just mention that you had been applying to other jobs, as you said you were.
3) Repeat to them what you said: You had been looking, but the offers you received were not the right ones, and you did not want to jump into something you would not make a long-term employment opportunity with. Reiterate that you would like to pursue this opportunity as you see it as a more permanent, mutually satisfactory relationship.

That internal recruiter is asking a lot of wrong questions and I can only wonder in the motive. A lot of them are afraid of the long-term unemployed, because they may not last or may not want to last in the workforce again, or are discouraged or unmotivated.

Is this internal recruiter like a headhunter or third party? If so, I'd go straight to the recruiters and managers, if you're not through a temp agency. They do sound like they're up to no good. Best of luck.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,595 posts, read 81,279,384 times
They are likely just trying to find out how desperate you are, and worry that you will bail out as soon as you find something better when you can.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
1) Is this a career change? You could say that you're willing to take a 15k cut to move into a more promising field, or a field you feel connected to and more able to perform than say, a pencil-pusher type position. You could also say that you started at a similar/equivalent salary range on your first job and moved up to where you were (if that's the case), and that you're willing to work hard to do it again.
2) That question just strikes me as very odd. Just mention that you had been applying to other jobs, as you said you were.
3) Repeat to them what you said: You had been looking, but the offers you received were not the right ones, and you did not want to jump into something you would not make a long-term employment opportunity with. Reiterate that you would like to pursue this opportunity as you see it as a more permanent, mutually satisfactory relationship.

That internal recruiter is asking a lot of wrong questions and I can only wonder in the motive. A lot of them are afraid of the long-term unemployed, because they may not last or may not want to last in the workforce again, or are discouraged or unmotivated.

Is this internal recruiter like a headhunter or third party? If so, I'd go straight to the recruiters and managers, if you're not through a temp agency. They do sound like they're up to no good. Best of luck.
Thanks for reply! The job is in my previous field. Actually same job, different company. Starting pay is aligned with similar jobs I have also interviewed for. And I am willing to work back up to that range and feel like I will very quickly as this is a very lucrative company.
3) exactly. And that is what I have said to them every time I have interviewed. Most of the people have just been honest that the job is not as defined as what I am used to but I am experienced in creating procedures and able to adapt to an environment with less structure. I went thru many changes at my previous employer and was very successful at adapting to the many changes and uncertainties.
Yes, this is an internal recruiter, employed with the company. I must add, I was referred to the position by an employee that worked with me at my previous employer. And I know several people that work there now. She has asked me about several people there now and mentions how well they are working out.

Her motivation? That is what is very puzzling to me. It seems that she is talking against me for some reason and I really believe she is not positively promoting me to all the other people. Seems like she is maintaining the control over who is hired, I interviewed with four hiring managers and the director and they all like me so that is even more confusing.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They are likely just trying to find out how desperate you are, and worry that you will bail out as soon as you find something better when you can.
I can certainly understand this but I reiterated to them today that I have had two jobs my whole life, 11 years and 15 years. I am obviously not a job hopper. I get somewhere and stay. Also I told them that their pay structure is aligned with the market place for a new hire in my field. I understand that I will not start out making what I made when I left previous employer.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,682,028 times
i think hemlock is right. what you say is totally logical but some hiring managers/hr people tend to rely on formulaic ways of evaluating people, and they'll try to bring up red flags even though you've already addressed them. maybe they think that you are just saying whatever you think they want to hear. it's not unreasonable to take a pay cut in this economy and a lot of people are out of work for WAY more than 4 months these days. it sounds like you've reassured them as best you can and there's nothing more you can really do except wait and see what they decide.

all the people who go on about it being the unemployed people's fault that they're out of work should take a look at this thread.... being considered overqualified and likely to bail when you are taking a job that is a lower level of responsibility and/or pay than your previous one is a very real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment