Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,034,371 times

Advertisements

and I say this from the mgmt side of the table.

It would have been wiser for all members to accept a lower blended average rate.

So much for solidarity!

How Two-Tier Union Contracts Became Labor's Undoing | The Nation#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 10:22 PM

30,002 posts, read 25,137,819 times
Bwaha, and the obsession continues!

What's the matter, jealous cause the union boys have better cars and better looking wives...

Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 PM

No andywire, just out to expose the ugly truth. Why in the world would union membership not be dropping like a rock when the younger workers were sold down the river by them?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM

5,103 posts, read 7,293,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

It would have been wiser for all members to accept a lower blended average rate.

So much for solidarity!

*zzzzz*

Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM

30,002 posts, read 25,137,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
*zzzzz*
Agreed. The same tired diatribe...

Unions were forced into the two tier system. They faught, but realized it was futile.

Quote:
No andywire, just out to expose the ugly truth. Why in the world would union membership not be dropping like a rock when the younger workers were sold down the river by them?
They could have fought like the guys at American Axle tried. I would have fought management's attempt to marginalize my time to $11/hr too. They ought change the name of the company to Mexican Axle, cause that's where all the jobs are located now. My first job out of HS is now done in Poland. Guess what? Most of us are now making significantly more working at non union shops. Why am I going to accept management's push to make me work for $12/hr when I can work for +$24/hr elsewhere Fact is, you've made skilled trades such a miserable pursuit that no one wants to learn them anymore. Supply and demand. My banks account thanks you.

I also believe the UAW will be pushing for higher tier one wages in the coming years as the big three show continue churning consistent profits. They have also done a lot of work turning formerly non union jobs into higher paying union jobs. In another couple years, they will probably be opening up their skilled trades programs as well.

Bwaha, I had to laugh about something... My uncle was a metal model maker at GM for 30 years. He also worked in tool and die for a period of time. He was paid $30-something an hour. He accepted the buyout because some bean counter figured someone with that skill level would turn up for $18/hr. The job has changed hands 4 times since his retirement. Maybe the bean counters don't know everything

It's amazing how poorly run a company can be, yet all management has to do is cry about the union and they are given a clean slate, and probably tons of bonuses. If you ask me, the big three are successful DESPITE poor management skills and labor relations. Let me ask YOU something... If the labor costs of manufacturing a car only comprise 13% of the total cost now, why are cars made today MORE expensive? Why do we now suddenly require 7 year auto loans?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM

Right you are, andywire. The two tier contract agreements will be a disaster for management and will be temporary.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

It's amazing how poorly run a company can be, yet all management has to do is cry about the union and they are given a clean slate, and probably tons of bonuses.
D3 when only one tier = Bankruptcy Court

With Tier II = profitable in US big-time.

Tier II is fast becoming the new normal. That $73 rate with benes was nonsensical, and it is NEVER coming back. No matter how often the 6% of Americans left in these 18th century mindsetswhine.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
D3 when only one tier = Bankruptcy Court

With Tier II = profitable in US big-time.

Tier II is fast becoming the new normal. That $73 rate with benes was nonsensical, and it is NEVER coming back. No matter how often the 6% of Americans left in these 18th century mindsetswhine.

Cricket sound effect (2) - YouTube

Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,317,603 times
Quote:

So much for solidarity!

So, how would accepting lower wages for everyone been beneficial for any union faced with a company that wants to pay new hires significantly lower wages?

Lowering the wages of current members for members who aren't even in the union is nearly impossible.

Also, from the union's perspective the two wage system at least gives them a target for the new hires to get to.

I have a family member who was hired by Ford at the lower rate, but the new contract negotiated their incomes higher, while the older workers didn't get a raise at all. So all around it is a bad deal for union members and does hurt unions, but I think it is the best choice.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I also believe the UAW will be pushing for higher tier one wages in the coming years as the big three show continue churning consistent profits.
I also expect them to try and fail. By than, we'll have 2 or 3 new transplant facilities in the USA, and GM will need to keep labor costs under control just to avoid BK again.

Plus, with a hefty Tier II percentage of the workforce, they do not have the savings to weather being out of work. That's a huge incentive for management to love these contracts-not only saves money now, but avoids any push for wage increases beyond nominal COL later, as it takes big savings to weather a strike.And the strikers always run the risk of being hostessed, something unheard of 30 years ago when mgmt capitulated all the time. Now they manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment