Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 AM

392 posts, read 705,029 times

Advertisements

Once you take that job, you are admitting to the company and to yourself that you are a doormat to be walked and trampled on.

DO NOT buy the propaganda spewed on here about "working your way up", "take a job, any job", and all the rhetoric the nobility tell the serfs to keep them working.

The only thing working for low pay says is that you are desperate. There's blood in the water.

Going on welfare, section 8, etc etc is a better option than being underpaid or under-employed.
Employer shills on this website or in the media or society at large will call you lazy, you don't want to work, etc etc. Ignore them and join the free sh*t army until you find a real job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
That's pretty good advice.

Here's more good advice:

Never pick the wrong lottery numbers.
Never catch a cold.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Once the welfare is maxed out and you have no income and live under the overpass in a cardboard tent, post again and tell us how you like it. Oh, I forgot, you won't have internet there.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,852,419 times
I'd never work for free.

20% less than market rate? Long enough until I can find something else, but it would be better than welfare so I would do it.

However, I would be sending out resumes EVERY night after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Once the welfare is maxed out and you have no income and live under the overpass in a cardboard tent, post again and tell us how you like it. Oh, I forgot, you won't have internet there.
Welfare isn't maxed out. Unemployment ends after a while, but welfare lasts forever. You hear about generations living on welfare because it never ends.

Section 8, SSDI, food stamps, etc. has no expiration date.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:18 PM

23,604 posts, read 24,145,795 times
I note your advice, but some would take a job (with a salary below what they were making) if it meant getting off unemployment (long term unemployment has a stigma attached to it) and "back on your feet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Once you take that job, you are admitting to the company and to yourself that you are a doormat to be walked and trampled on.

DO NOT buy the propaganda spewed on here about "working your way up", "take a job, any job", and all the rhetoric the nobility tell the serfs to keep them working.

The only thing working for low pay says is that you are desperate. There's blood in the water.

Going on welfare, section 8, etc etc is a better option than being underpaid or under-employed.
Employer shills on this website or in the media or society at large will call you lazy, you don't want to work, etc etc. Ignore them and join the free sh*t army until you find a real job.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I'd never work for free.

20% less than market rate? Long enough until I can find something else, but it would be better than welfare so I would do it.

However, I would be sending out resumes EVERY night after work.
Exactly!

I took a job paying crap, and it was part time- but I wasn't working and needed a job.

6 weeks later I found a better job, and just baseline hourly rate it was 50% more. 3 months later a positioned opened up and I got a 30% raise on baseline pay.

I'd rather be working than sitting at home doing nothing...

And even now I still look randomly in case there is something that pays more that I can do.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,437,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I'd never work for free.

Welfare isn't maxed out. Unemployment ends after a while, but welfare lasts forever. You hear about generations living on welfare because it never ends.

Section 8, SSDI, food stamps, etc. has no expiration date.
Few states are without time limits on welfare, since the mid 90s.

State Welfare Time-Limit Policies and Their Effects on Families | mdrc

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Only a fool would work for 20% less than the market rate. Who does that?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Agreed and many states also make you work or go to school in order to keep your benefits. Some people have managed to get around this by claiming to be depressed and qualifying for SSDI benefits.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,165,844 times
If market rate was $100k, I'd work for $80k until something better comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment