Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,536 times

Advertisements

Hi all, by now it is very likely you heard something about Edward Snowden, who betrayed the confidence of the United States and its government by fleeing to Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China) and disseminating classified material relating to the NSA. The fact that he fled to Chinese territory instead of neutral nations with no extradiction treaties to the US makes him very suspicious as a possible Chinese spy, at least according to ex-CIA case officer Robert Baer.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to discuss whether Edward is a traitor and/or whistleblower. Instead, I want to focus on his employment.

He has worked for the Army, CIA, NSA, and Booz-Allen Hamilton. He accomplished these feats with only a GED. He has no remarkable points to his intellectual or professional career prior to becoming a member of the US intelligence community. He was also purportedly making ~$200K with Booz-Allen prior to going rogue.

I wonder how he was able to move around the USIC with such ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i think the simple answer is that he's in IT, and that's one of the few professional fields where you really only need to be good at your work to get ahead. you can get to any level in IT without even a high school degree, if you know what you're doing.

there are some issues in general with government contractors and quality control, but that kind of goes beyond the scope of this forum.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I would love to throw the reason to "IT"; but it does not pass the logic test.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That, and he had security clearance.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
His mom worked with the government so who knows if it is nepotism that because of who his mom was, he was able to work. I know this would happen particularly on a town government level.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quite shocking. One thing to have a HS Diploma but nothing at all?(media made it seem like he has no Hs or GED)

Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 AM

536 posts, read 830,098 times
Well he did study computers at a community college for 2 years (According to NBC), he received training in the Army, and I'm sure he received training at the CIA. I believe he was an "IT" worker for the CIA, but at Booz Allen he was very much an Intelligence Officer. Better known as a Spy. He admitted in his interviews that he has no special skills. I don't believe he possesses the skills to take part in building something like "PRISM", but he certainly used it to read your email.

To me he seems like one of those guys that is very intelligent, but can't focus on anything, can't complete anything, very restless, can't sit still, moves around a lot. He was only at Booz Allen for 3 months before he decided to do this.

Also from what I've heard he is broke. He has maxed out his credit cards after 3 weeks staying in a hotel and has no money.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
From what I've read, his background is programing/sys. administration. And his skills were obviously impressive enough that he has found additional opportunities despite the lack of a formal education.

I'd guess that he probably floated on contracts as they changed hands. This happens all the time. The incumbent contractor is replaced, but certain personnel are kept because the client likes them. And BAH happened to be the latest. Which is somewhat unfortunate for Booz to be tied to this as their only crime is really being Snowden's current employer.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
well, then this topic doesn't have anything to do with work and employment.

i do think the reason actually is "IT", but who knows.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
How does it not pass the logic test?

You have a guy who was in the army with security clearance and an IT background. That security clearance alone is going to get you further into a contractor 'career'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment