Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM

47 posts, read 182,387 times

Advertisements

Hi, I got offered a job today, going in to sign the contract on Friday. It's office admin, very junior role, only one slight problem... the hours are 12-9pm.

Now that doesn't sound bad BUT it's a 180km round trip, which I'll be doing by public transport. The evening trains are spaced an hour apart, so unless I can leave by about 8:50pm, I will be waiting around till 10pm and arriving home at midnight.

I am glad to have found a job just as we're going into a recession, but for minimum wage, I'm not willing to spend 5hrs a day on public transport or waiting for it. So before I sign, I wanted to see if I could get them to be a little flexible and let me leave 10 mins earlier (of course, I would skip a break or a bit of lunch).

Anyone have any ideas how to enquire nicely about this? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
Well, put it to them like you just put it to us........and for minimum wage, if they say "No", you're not really out much. Not when you consider the 5 hours (OMG) of commute time.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,674 times
I think they will understand if you say you are prepared to compensate the 10-15mins of your lunch time.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
You may have problems with co-workers thinking you are getting favoritism, so be careful.

People get jealous in the workplace over the dumbest things.

Good luck working it out!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
I would talk to them about this before signing anything. They may want to find someone who can work the hours they need.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I had this situation with a job about 20 years ago. Unfortunately I was told I needed to be there to the end of the shift to cover the phones, and that was that. I just had to suck it up and wait for the next bus home. I eventually found a much better job with a competitor a few blocks away who was more than willing to accomodate all employees who used mass transit.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Well, put it to them like you just put it to us........and for minimum wage, if they say "No", you're not really out much. Not when you consider the 5 hours (OMG) of commute time.
I agree.
If they say "no" take it as a big whomping sign from the employment gods that this is not meant to be.

Including your commute time you are looking at 14 hour days.If you are making min wage (is that ~$7 per hour now?) and you are only paid for your 8hour shift....your actual pay will be ~4 per hour (PRE taxes).

Yikes.

The only way I would even consider a job like this would be if it was ground-floor in an industry I really really really wanted to work in and I was just trying to get my foot in the door.

Best wishes!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobellaxx View Post
Hi, I got offered a job today, going in to sign the contract on Friday. It's office admin, very junior role, only one slight problem... the hours are 12-9pm.

Now that doesn't sound bad BUT it's a 180km round trip, which I'll be doing by public transport. The evening trains are spaced an hour apart, so unless I can leave by about 8:50pm, I will be waiting around till 10pm and arriving home at midnight.

I am glad to have found a job just as we're going into a recession, but for minimum wage, I'm not willing to spend 5hrs a day on public transport or waiting for it. So before I sign, I wanted to see if I could get them to be a little flexible and let me leave 10 mins earlier (of course, I would skip a break or a bit of lunch).

Anyone have any ideas how to enquire nicely about this? Thanks for any suggestions.
If you could pull that off (the 14 hour days at min. wage), you would be my new hero. I would name you Stamina Man (or Woman).

Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM

47 posts, read 182,387 times
It would be stamina woman

If they say yes, I'll take the job. I live in a ****ty little town a fair way from a big city, so I have to take what I can get. It's only for a few months anyway. I can handle that. Makes the time go by faster and I need the money.

They will be hella long days though, up at 7 to study and go to the gym, leave for work at 10, get there at 12, work till 9 and then home by 11ish!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I would talk to them about this before signing anything. They may want to find someone who can work the hours they need.
I second this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment