Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times

Advertisements

Can I get some tips on either negotiating for or getting signing bonuses or contracts or guarantees in a written offer....and which is better.

I may be interviewing for an exec job with a major company which would meaning leaving my current job after 18 years....obviously I'd like a much guaranteed money as possible. (just in case we ever have to part ways)

I know it could go so many ways...

Do people at the exec level BS around (with "draw up a total compensation package and I'll have my advisors look it over and we'll get back to you") -- or cut right to the chase and say they'll "need a signing bonus of X, and a contractual guarantee of y."

This would be my first exec level compensation negotiation and I don't want to come off as naive -- and not even ASK for stuff that everyone else knows is standard. ( I already know the job comes with "equity."

Should I find an agent to quickly represent me... or just try to do my own negotiating. Is it expected at that level that you're not doing you own negotiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM

103 posts, read 295,617 times
At your level, the question comes down to "what is market". If possible, I would hire someone (although I'm not sure who, maybe a well established executive recruiter) to negotiate for you and inform you about what market is in that particular industry and/or geographic area.

Another option (assuming your peer/competitor companies are public companies and that your management role is a major/senior role) is to go to the SEC EDGAR website and pull exec compensation agreements. Public companies must make this info public. Then go through those and try and get an idea of what is market. This can be a considerable amount of legwork, more so if you are not familiar with EDGAR. There isn't a link for a category of compensation agreements, you will have to wade through all the filings until you find one. It could be dozens or hundreds of docs, but it can be done.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Define "exec" job. What is the titles and industry? What kind of total compensation are you looking for?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM

It's a top 100 company, in a major city at the VP level. There are about 6 VPs in various areas.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Fortune 100 company with only 6 VPs? There are startups with more VPs than that.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 AM

If anyone has any tales or stories of negotiating for signing bonuses/contracts/ contract guarantees I’d appreciate it.

Sorry jaypee…make that 40 EVPs or SVPs, across all divisions.

It’s a top 100 multi-national, multi industry company with each division having its own president, leadership and structures and a top corporate parent company. (like GE for example has companies under its corporate umbrella. It’s not GE, that was just an idea of what I’m talking about. I cannot ID the company)

This gig would be with the parent company at headquarters
I’ve found some salary help.

I have a job so I might as well ask for what I want

I’ve been where I am 18 years, to RELOCATE –AND leave that for a new environment you’re darn right I’m going to ask for a contractural guarantee. If I go and things don’t work out – you best believe I want some kind of minimum guarantee in terms of separation package.

(I found an explanation of stock options vs stock purchase plans (what’s the difference and which is better).

I was just looking for advice on the kinds of things execs get as part of their compensation that someone else wouldn’t know to even ask for.

Depending on the field I know execs MIGHT get a car, and basic stuff like company computer, PDA, free parking, assigned parking. But I’m thinking that’s peanuts compared to what could be asked for.

Can we make this a general conversation about executive compensation? It could be a learning experience for a lot of people.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 AM

419 posts, read 902,782 times
base salary
incentive pay, with a short-term focus, usually in the form of a bonus
incentive pay, with a long-term focus, usually in some combination of stock awards, option awards, non-equity incentive plan compensation
enhanced benefits package that usually includes a Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan (SERP)
extra benefits and perquisites, such as cars and club memberships
deferred compensation earnings
relocation expenses including buying your current
a say in your staff and managers working for you
supplemental life insurance- they may require this
executive health check ups- they may require this as well
use of travel assets

Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM

and of course the severance guarantees I mentioned (the term 'golden parachute' has such a negative connotation, now)
.....all contractually guaranteed -- of course.

Great thank you ...sooo much.
This helps a lot!

Last edited by rdflk; 07-22-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I get the feeling you are in for some disappointment.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM

I may not get any of these things at all and if not so be it.

I HAVE a union covered job that I can do blindfolded at a major company -- so I may end of saying no to a new job anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment