Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 AM

273 posts, read 503,365 times

Advertisements

Good Morning CD,

I'm at my first year on my new job. So far, it's been a really good position; but it's very similar to my last role. The pay on my current job was a 41% increase than what I made previously. In my career I've held three jobs total, one for 4 years, one for 6 years and the job I just left for 7 years. All three of my previous jobs were career defining.

However, in my last role of 7 years I was underpaid by industry standards and was blinded by company "loyalty". I discovered how much I was underpaid when I accidently came across a new hires paystub, so while upset and distraught I found a great new job and I was satisfied with my 41% increase in pay. My current role is very easy going, full benefits; 401K match, dental, medical, bonuses, education reimbursement, etc. I work from home 60% of the time and occasionally I travel either locally or out-of-state for meetings or work - there are no requirements to go to the local office. The job is "ALL GOOD". In my current role I quickly established myself as high-level engineer.

I've been on my current gig for almost a year now and I've been browsing the job boards and there are two positions I've submitted to that I have phone interviews for this week. Based on the job descriptions and my qualifications I'm rather certain I'll land one of the two jobs or a least a job in these new salary ranges. Job A is local and would be a 24% increase in pay; Job B would require relocation to NYC and would be a 40% increase.

I have never been a job hopper, but I don't think my current position will offer me a 24-40% increase in my first year. I have no complaints with my current income, but more money is always ideal. I'm aware that either of these two perspective jobs may not be as easy going as what I have now, but the money is most appealing to me.

Anything wrong with leaving a great work environment strictly for another 40% increase in pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Don't worry about the 1 year job seeming like 'job hopping' on your resume. You have many long term jobs already. Besides, many folks in IT change jobs approx every 1.5 years. or so. I have reviewed many IT resumes and it's normal to see lots of job hopping as "the norm".

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
Job A is local and would be a 24% increase in pay; Job B would require relocation to NYC and would be a 40% increase.
Don't look at the absolute $$ raise; look at the overall package in terms of benefits, work-from-home, work environment, co-workers/boss, future growth potential, industry/corporation stability, etc.

Not sure where you are currently but moving to NYC would mean a lot more aggressive work environment, long hours, terrible commute, etc. Would that be worth 40% raise? You are the best judge!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM

850 posts, read 796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
Good Morning CD,

I'm at my first year on my new job. So far, it's been a really good position; but it's very similar to my last role. The pay on my current job was a 41% increase than what I made previously. In my career I've held three jobs total, one for 4 years, one for 6 years and the job I just left for 7 years. All three of my previous jobs were career defining.

However, in my last role of 7 years I was underpaid by industry standards and was blinded by company "loyalty". I discovered how much I was underpaid when I accidently came across a new hires paystub, so while upset and distraught I found a great new job and I was satisfied with my 41% increase in pay. My current role is very easy going, full benefits; 401K match, dental, medical, bonuses, education reimbursement, etc. I work from home 60% of the time and occasionally I travel either locally or out-of-state for meetings or work - there are no requirements to go to the local office. The job is "ALL GOOD". In my current role I quickly established myself as high-level engineer.

I've been on my current gig for almost a year now and I've been browsing the job boards and there are two positions I've submitted to that I have phone interviews for this week. Based on the job descriptions and my qualifications I'm rather certain I'll land one of the two jobs or a least a job in these new salary ranges. Job A is local and would be a 24% increase in pay; Job B would require relocation to NYC and would be a 40% increase.

I have never been a job hopper, but I don't think my current position will offer me a 24-40% increase in my first year. I have no complaints with my current income, but more money is always ideal. I'm aware that either of these two perspective jobs may not be as easy going as what I have now, but the money is most appealing to me.

Anything wrong with leaving a great work environment strictly for another 40% increase in pay?
You have to factor everything, if pay is good enough and you like your company and job why leave unless the next position offers better opportunity or you want to live in a large bustling city like NY. I work in IT and would love to work from home.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Since you like your current company, demonstrate it by giving them an opportunity to match the pay at the other company before you accept an offer.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Don't look at the absolute $$ raise; look at the overall package in terms of benefits, work-from-home, work environment, co-workers/boss, future growth potential, industry/corporation stability, etc.

Not sure where you are currently but moving to NYC would mean a lot more aggressive work environment, long hours, terrible commute, etc. Would that be worth 40% raise? You are the best judge!

I would suck up the commute and work conditions for a 40% increase. Once you pay your dues and establish your new MARKET WORTH, you can use that rate when negotiating your "dream job".

Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I would suck up the commute and work conditions for a 40% increase.
Easier said than done! Spending 60 minutes each way in a super crowded train is fun and adventerous the first few times; doing it 5 days a week on top of working 60 hours a week - not easy and not for everyone!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Easier said than done! Spending 60 minutes each way in a super crowded train is fun and adventerous the first few times; doing it 5 days a week on top of working 60 hours a week - not easy and not for everyone!

I drove 45 miles each way for over two years. I left for work by 7am to avoid traffic to make it bearable.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I drove 45 miles each way for over two years. I left for work by 7am to avoid traffic to make it bearable.
I have been doing it for over 7 years! And very frequently, weeks at a time, I have had to work 80+ hours a week. Thousands of people do it everyday but note that I said "it is not for everyone". There are people who wouldn't last a month without showing symptoms of high blood pressure, insomnia or depression!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
IMO, a job that allows work from home 100% is worth at least $15k-$20k/year lower for the work-from-home job versus same job where you go into the office every day with a commute of an hour or more each way.

There are costs for transportation that are real...cost of gas or train/bus fair, cost for tires/oil changes/your car wears out much sooner and you need to get a new one.

Plus your time saved on the commute plus your time saved getting ready for work each morning and money saved on lunches. Plus cost savings on work clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment