Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 PM

341 posts, read 675,466 times

Advertisements

To high schoolers, what would be your talking points? I say high school because college kids are somewhat 'committed' to their futures (they've already completed a major) whereas high school kids have just begun. Have no debt, etc.

-Take a year off, travel the world. Get a better grasp of the world that you can later apply to
Your chosen major?

-Goto a trade school?

What would you say to them?

I choose this forum because this forum is focused on life's biggest goal- how to find ways to earn a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Simple: figure out a way to not be clueless. The ease of finding information about anything has exploded in just the four years that kids graduating have been in high school yet tens of millions of people vote for the wrong candidate for the wrong reasons, don't the first idea about how to get a real job, waste any money they do have with backwards spending habits / pathetic ignorance of how investing & savings work and don't have a clue about how to leverage real estate purchases to their advantage.

Figure out how to type www.city-data.com/forum into a Internet browser and that should a great first step to getting clue about all this and more.

Thank you and good luck!

Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,552,450 times
I'd touch on the subject that teachers are not the greatest source of career advice for obvious reasons. Unless you want to be a teacher of course.that includes teachers for IT certifications

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 PM

607 posts, read 1,394,478 times
--If you go to college, pick a USEFUL major.

--College debt SUCKS! Do whatever you can to minimize it or just avoid it altogether. Go to a community college, learn a trade instead of going to college, etc.

--Don't get married until at least 30.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM

547 posts, read 940,040 times
-Try to figure out what you want to do

-If you want to go to college, go to a community college and get your basics out of the way. I realize most people coming out of high school want to get to away from their parents and go off to college and what not, but going to a local community college and having a part time job for 15-20 hours a week, saving up, and living at home is a pretty good idea, assuming if your parents want you to do that and you have a good relationship with them.

-As for picking a useful major, even those people are having problems once they graduate college. If you know what you want to do and it requires a bachelors degree or more, then go to college.

-If you're going to college because everyone else is going/society has told everyone they need to go, then think long and hard if you really need to go. Society can go suck it.

-Trades are a good idea for those who don't know what they want to do or are not wanting to do college for 4+ years because of different reasons.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,645,710 times
The question is: “What is waiting for you?”

“For those who are lazy: nothing. For those looking for shortcuts: nothing,” “It’s every man for himself out there.”
For those who constantly say, “It’s not fair.”
“One of my bosses once told me, ‘Fair is a place where they judge pigs,’” he said. “Nobody cares about fairness. Everybody is out there trying to get theirs,” and you’ve got to compete against them, keeping morals and ethics always in mind,.

Nobody wants to hear excuses. Nobody wants to hear, “They’re keeping me down.”
“No, you’re keeping yourself down,” . Saying that is an excuse to accept mediocrity. You’re looking for people to blame instead of looking in the mirror.
Also, nobody wants to hear about your suffering.
With the budget deficit and with all the unemployment, we’re all suffering.

You are now officially trained, educated, armed and dangerous. Go forth now and steamroll over the competition.

Last edited by krieger00; 08-11-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Pick a useful major that you have abilities in. If you aren't good at science don't pick a science major. Same with if you aren't good at math, you wouldn't like do well in engineering or math. Know your strengths, know your limitations and play to the strengths in major picks.

I would say go look at the trades more than college. There is a need for the trades because we will see a shortage in 10-15 years due to the boomers in the trades.

I would also suggest to work part-time to build up experience. If you wont need it when you graduate (unlike now) that is a good problem to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment