Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,574,449 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'd agree they are ''making a case''.

Maybe you are a scapegoat for management, maybe it's your age in that you make more than a younger nurse and budget cuts are coming, maybe you are liked and some one is jealous, maybe a patient complained about you....

It could be any number of things. But I think your time is coming and I'd remind you to not resign on your own. Make them fire you so you might get unemployment if you need it to live.

I've found myself that when things get to this point in a workplace it's time to start sending out resumes and network to get out quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM

156 posts, read 447,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Yep, I'd agree they are ''making a case''.

Maybe you are a scapegoat for management, maybe it's your age in that you make more than a younger nurse and budget cuts are coming, maybe you are liked and some one is jealous, maybe a patient complained about you....

It could be any number of things. But I think your time is coming and I'd remind you to not resign on your own. Make them fire you so you might get unemployment if you need it to live.

I've found myself that when things get to this point in a workplace it's time to start sending out resumes and network to get out quickly.
I definitely agree with the last paragraph. Union or no union, it's no fun to work for a boss that doesn't like you. If you're asking HR (or a union rep) for backup, it better be for a fight worth fighting. (Although, even if I were illegally discriminated against, I'd rather find a new job and get money out of the people who fired me.)

That being said, I think it's more likely this nurse manager is getting pressure from a superior or there's something the OP isn't aware of, like an off color comment that rubbed the nurse manager the wrong way.

Are you a full-time, regular employee? If you are, you're eligible for internal transfer to another unit. Maybe, if the situation still looks bleak, you should check out the MICU/SICU/CVICU/ICN/PACU or wherever else is hiring. An RN with 2.5 years of ICU experience willing to work full-time has a pretty good market, particularly if you have a BSN, ACLS/PALS and/or CCRN. And, as bad as it is for the organization, lots of times managers like to shuffle "problem employees" (justified or not) to other units.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You are overreacting. see below. Actually it was my critical thinking which saved the pateint as the issue happened again the very next day.
I rarely overreact. What does documentation of patient care have to do with the quality of care given to the patient? Is it your contention that the two are mutually exclusive or do you really think what you're doing meets the standard of care for a critical care RN, regardless of whether a specific policy and procedure for documentation exists on your unit? Given your attitude I guess you are right to be concerned. Again, good luck to you.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Are you kidding me? Are we REALLY going to rehash, AGAIN, that ALL STATES EXCEPT MONTANA are "at-will" employment.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.
Troll.

If you have something to post, keep it on topic.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,218,620 times
FYI HR is not your friend. HR is there to protect senior management and the company from lawsuits.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,125,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
I definitely agree with the last paragraph. Union or no union, it's no fun to work for a boss that doesn't like you. If you're asking HR (or a union rep) for backup, it better be for a fight worth fighting. (Although, even if I were illegally discriminated against, I'd rather find a new job and get money out of the people who fired me.)

That being said, I think it's more likely this nurse manager is getting pressure from a superior or there's something the OP isn't aware of, like an off color comment that rubbed the nurse manager the wrong way.

Are you a full-time, regular employee? If you are, you're eligible for internal transfer to another unit. Maybe, if the situation still looks bleak, you should check out the MICU/SICU/CVICU/ICN/PACU or wherever else is hiring. An RN with 2.5 years of ICU experience willing to work full-time has a pretty good market, particularly if you have a BSN, ACLS/PALS and/or CCRN. And, as bad as it is for the organization, lots of times managers like to shuffle "problem employees" (justified or not) to other units.
I realize the situation is unclear buy in one post you think that this is "genuinely about the charting" and in the next you support this? I am not saying both could not be at play and I guess that I will find out.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
FYI HR is not your friend. HR is there to protect senior management and the company from lawsuits.
Absolutely correct. HR is NOT your friend. If indeed the OP is being railroaded, it is a virtual guarantee that HR is already aware of it. And since the OP has indicated that co-workers have been interviewed about his/her performance, that pretty much clinches that HR is aware of it.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM

156 posts, read 447,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I realize the situation is unclear buy in one post you think that this is "genuinely about the charting" and in the next you support this? I am not saying both could not be at play and I guess that I will find out.

Thanks for your input.
I guess that was pretty unclear. My opinion, based on the information, is that your nurse manager is getting harassed about her unit's charting. Once your behavior changes, she'll be relieved and show that.

However, if there is a vendetta against you, there's no sense in working for that boss. Just saying that if you do find this to be the case (although I don't think you will), it's better to transfer to another unit than try to fight the fight.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,795,571 times
I agree-HR is not your friend.

I agree with sware. Something happened up the chain and you got painted with the target.

Think hard about what might have happened. Any contact with someone above your boss after your review? New procedure for something? New equipment you are trying out? 20+ years as a nurse your gut must be telling you something.

How long have you been at that hospital?

Years ago all of a sudden my performance was scrutinized with amazing intensity. Small mistakes were blown out of proportion and management kept bringing them up over and over even though they were long over with. I talked things out and figured all was fine until a little birdie in management told me my performance is still under review. Apparently I was on double secret probation.

It took me two weeks but I finally figured it out when I learned a coworker was getting promoted. We have a promotional list and I was next up, no doubt about it. To top it off there wasn't an opening, apparently they were going to create one. The top boss wanted someone else and nit picked my performance (through lower level managers) so I would lose my eligibility for promotion. I made so much noise about this the scrutiny ended and I was promoted over the other person when a position became available.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,125,629 times
I took some steps today. The manager is new to me. For one year prior I was supervised by the Director her boss. I have been with the company 2 years. 1 year in a resource role and 1 year at this hospital. They split the supervisory duties to cut the Director some slack and I fell with the group with the manager. I have received very high ratings both years. 2 weeks after the latest review (and this manager) she called me in and gave me notes poorly constructed. I responded in writing. 2 weeks after that she hit me over documentation. The next day the Director sent out a global RN email citing this deficiency in all nurses that I was called in for.

Today I emailed the manager and said, Hey people are coming to me asking why they are being asked about me and you have not responded to my request to check my work to see if it's improving. She did respond and only said she would review it when she was able maybe today and randomly. She did not address the other issue. I had requested that they not pull me off the floor and that we set times to go over the issues she raised. She did not address that. My daughter told me if they do that as I am hourly she has to pay me and the budget is a huge issue right now.

So a few charting issues, interrograting other nurses about me. I sent an email to an EAP guy who knows these people very well. I have constructed a letter to HR pointing out that the manager is not following HR guidelines and further asking around which creates at atmosphere of mistrust. If the manager and HR don't follow their own policies I have a legal case. I also emailed the Director and said that I would attend a very important meeting for her. She wrote back very grateful.

I plan to make this difficult for the manager and since the Director supervised me for one year may ask to be put back into her supervision citing communication problems and mistrust.

Ongoing....I have some smart peeps in my corner and I am very grateful for all of your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment