Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM

372 posts, read 599,528 times

Advertisements

Looks like the social work career is more popular than I realized!

Hmm, I really don't mind the low pay because I think it would be worth it. Making 80k-90k would be great, but I'd be happy without it.

The 'burnouts' you speak of, well I don't think I'd be one of them. Burnt-out social workers are the ones who went into the job with no clue and ended up getting a rude awakening. You need to be prepared for this kind of job, I know I am. Growing up near Detroit, I've seen plenty of people struggle & suffer. When I was little, I would often stay at my mom's house alot, which was IN the city of Detroit. I remember one of our neighbors was a drug addict, and her little daughter didn't even have a bed. Just a bare dirty mattress on the floor. The little girl became my friend. It hurt me to see that, but I am I strong person. I have been through some tough battles myself. Not anything like drugs or gangs, but I want to help people. I hope that girl is doing okay right now.

I think I have always had a passion for social work, just didn't discover that passion until now.
You all listed all kinds of bad things about social work, but still I'm drawn to it. If I were to get into a different career like accounting or marketing, or anything else pretty much, I would regret not becoming a social worker and potentially saving people's lives.

For the MSW though; Does location matter? I live in Michigan and could try to get into U of M for in-state tution but I want to move to a different state. Usually, you get your first job near the college you graduated from. If I go to U of M, I feel like I would get a job in Michigan and just end up staying here. Which I don't want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I'm an 18 year old female who will be starting college in December. Right now, my plan is to get a bachelor's degree in Social Work and then hopefully get into a master's program to complete a Master's in Social Work and finally become a licensed clinical social worker.

Since I want to get a bachelor's in social work, I can get into an advanced standing program and finish my MSW in one year as opposed to two years it would take for anyone who didn't major in social work during undergrad. It sounds good to me, the master's will take only a year so I would save some money and time.

From what I read there are many options in social work. Of course with a BSW you can work with the state/city as a social worker, or work at adoption agencies. Add a MSW to that and you can be a social worker for schools, hospitals, even like private practices/clinics if you are a licensed clinical social worker. It's very similar to being a psychologist, minus the PhD.

So CD, I chose to post this because I'd like some opinions on this please. What are some negatives about the social work career? Do you have any experiences with social work, or know anyone that is one? Is this a wise career choice? In other words, post any bad things you have heard about social work as a career. I want to know about the bad parts of the job too, not just the good, that might make me reconsider and change my mind. Any and all thoughts on this will be read.

The biggest negative I see is that you want to be talked out of being a Social Worker before you ever get the degree. You are NOT Social Worker material and if you do insist on getting a degree in Social Work you will burn out in less than 3 years if not sooner.

Please pursue something else and save yourself a lot of time, effort and money.

Also it is NOT even close to being a Psychologist, it is much more emotionally draining, stressful and demanding than a Psychologist.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The biggest negative I see is that you want to be talked out of being a Social Worker before you ever get the degree. You are NOT Social Worker material and if you do insist on getting a degree in Social Work you will burn out in less than 3 years if not sooner.

Please pursue something else and save yourself a lot of time, effort and money.

Also it is NOT even close to being a Psychologist, it is much more emotionally draining, stressful and demanding than a Psychologist.

I shouldn't have put the phrase 'talk me out of it'. Weak choice of words. I just meant tell me all the negatives, tell me all the horror stories, and many people did. Yet I still want to be a social worker, I can't be talked out of it. That must mean something.

Sorry, but don't say I'm not social worker material because you don't know me personally and even after knowing all the bad things about it, I still want to be one. Actually this encouraged me even more to become one.I want opinions and advice, not people who don't know me telling me what I should or shouldn't be.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have put the phrase 'talk me out of it'. Weak choice of words. I just meant tell me all the negatives, tell me all the horror stories, and many people did. Yet I still want to be a social worker, I can't be talked out of it. That must mean something.

Sorry, but don't say I'm not social worker material because you don't know me personally and even after knowing all the bad things about it, I still want to be one. Actually this encouraged me even more to become one.I want opinions and advice, not people who don't know me telling me what I should or shouldn't be.
I'm hearing the solid interest, even passion, in you for the social work field. One thought that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Time. You mentioned a BSW program that goes into a MSW and saving a year. Wait. Get experience. I went from an undergrad degree in psychology straight to grad school for my MSW. I remember debating at the time if I should go straight through or work first and I decided, on advice of others, to go straight through. While that assured me that I really got the degree, and truthfully did set the pattern of careers for the rest of my working life, I look back now and think I was not mature enough at 22 to truly get all that I could have out of that program. Maybe that was just me and not having the life experiences you have had. However in looking back, I think those in an MSW program who gain the most from it are those who have worked and have those life experiences already. You are just 18 and doing a great job of looking at careers. That's wonderful, but you don't have to have your whole life planned out just yet.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My sister is studying to be a psychologist and she says that it's more emotionally draining, stressful and demanding than being a social worker So I guess it just depends on your perspective. I do know that she will be in debt more than 200K when she gets her PsyD, and my parents paid for her undergraduate degree, so that debt is just for graduate school.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
I'm an 18 year old female who will be starting college in December. Right now, my plan is to get a bachelor's degree in Social Work and then hopefully get into a master's program to complete a Master's in Social Work and finally become a licensed clinical social worker.

Since I want to get a bachelor's in social work, I can get into an advanced standing program and finish my MSW in one year as opposed to two years it would take for anyone who didn't major in social work during undergrad. It sounds good to me, the master's will take only a year so I would save some money and time.

From what I read there are many options in social work. Of course with a BSW you can work with the state/city as a social worker, or work at adoption agencies. Add a MSW to that and you can be a social worker for schools, hospitals, even like private practices/clinics if you are a licensed clinical social worker. It's very similar to being a psychologist, minus the PhD.

So CD, I chose to post this because I'd like some opinions on this please. What are some negatives about the social work career? Do you have any experiences with social work, or know anyone that is one? Is this a wise career choice? In other words, post any bad things you have heard about social work as a career. I want to know about the bad parts of the job too, not just the good, that might make me reconsider and change my mind. Any and all thoughts on this will be read.
Terrible, terrible pay, horrible job prospects.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister is studying to be a psychologist and she says that it's more emotionally draining, stressful and demanding than being a social worker So I guess it just depends on your perspective. I do know that she will be in debt more than 200K when she gets her PsyD, and my parents paid for her undergraduate degree, so that debt is just for graduate school.
Wow. She's paying her own way through a phd program?

Much respect...

Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

Funding seems to be a issue in the social work field. If you do it make sure it's not your primary source of income because social work jobs are very unstable in 2013

Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Funding seems to be a issue in the social work field. If you do it make sure it's not your primary source of income because social work jobs are very unstable in 2013
Most jobs are unstable in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Terrible, terrible pay, horrible job prospects.
It's not terrible, there are other jobs that pay worse. A lot might pay better but oh well.
Did you read my other posts besides the opening post? Pay isn't everything in a job. It's important yes, but so your happiness.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Simply not true. Not all social work positions are funded by any stretch. The social work positions which have been hardest hit in the last few years have been the non profits which rely heavily on federal and state funding for their operational costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment