Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,186,274 times

Advertisements

Have a weird situation I am trying to get ahead of here.

Recently, I have applied for an internal promotional opportunity, located in another area of the country.

I have the final interview with a director Thursday, so, my chances are about 50/50.

One concern I have is the pay grade. We recently readjusted all of our pay grades.

Currently, I am at about 95% of the midrange and 75% of the high end of the scale. I have been here about 7 years, and came in at what is now the minimum salary (minimum is now higher than that). My performance over last 5 years has been 4 Exceeds Expectations and 1 Met Expectations, so, my raises have been ok.. last year 4.25 and this year 4. This year, I was the highest rated person in my position (out of about 35 others), and 2 years ago was as well.

Anyhow, this new position is 3 grades higher up the food chain, and is considered a Manager level position. Also, this would require a relocation from San Antonio to a small town in South Carolina. Work will pay for the move and offer a relocation package.

This position, while a promotion, is quite a bit more stressful than what I am doing currently, and, there is a lot riding on the work that I would be doing. I would be impacting nearly 1000 employees and tens of thousands of customers daily in this job.

I did some research, and, the new position, the low end of the range is about 7% more than what I am getting now. The midrange on that is 45% more than what I am making right now.

What would be fair? What should I ask for? How do you negotiate an internal promotion?

My company is notoriously "frugal", and I am afraid they are going to try to offer me the low end. I have worked like crazy to earn those raises!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Have a weird situation I am trying to get ahead of here.

Recently, I have applied for an internal promotional opportunity, located in another area of the country.

I have the final interview with a director Thursday, so, my chances are about 50/50.

One concern I have is the pay grade. We recently readjusted all of our pay grades.

Currently, I am at about 95% of the midrange and 75% of the high end of the scale. I have been here about 7 years, and came in at what is now the minimum salary (minimum is now higher than that). My performance over last 5 years has been 4 Exceeds Expectations and 1 Met Expectations, so, my raises have been ok.. last year 4.25 and this year 4. This year, I was the highest rated person in my position (out of about 35 others), and 2 years ago was as well.

Anyhow, this new position is 3 grades higher up the food chain, and is considered a Manager level position. Also, this would require a relocation from San Antonio to a small town in South Carolina. Work will pay for the move and offer a relocation package.

This position, while a promotion, is quite a bit more stressful than what I am doing currently, and, there is a lot riding on the work that I would be doing. I would be impacting nearly 1000 employees and tens of thousands of customers daily in this job.

I did some research, and, the new position, the low end of the range is about 7% more than what I am getting now. The midrange on that is 45% more than what I am making right now.

What would be fair? What should I ask for? How do you negotiate an internal promotion?

My company is notoriously "frugal", and I am afraid they are going to try to offer me the low end. I have worked like crazy to earn those raises!
My personal experience is that for some reason companies don't really negotiate internal promotions and have set guidelines. I had to do battle with my company but at the end of the day they didn't budge much so I had to get my money by leaving.

Of course every company is different. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,193,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My personal experience is that for some reason companies don't really negotiate internal promotions and have set guidelines. I had to do battle with my company but at the end of the day they didn't budge much so I had to get my money by leaving.

Of course every company is different. Good luck.
I have seen this as well. Crappy HR policies that would cap what an internal employee could be bumped up by. I have actually seen an internal employee turn down a job because they wouldn't budge on the money and then they go and hire someone externally for more money. And the internal employee was much more qualified.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,135,651 times
Good luck with that. Most people are forced to leave for more money. It's sad but true. It works in the recruiter's favor. They get to search for another candidate and get another bonus for finding a high level candidate outside the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment