Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,084,312 times

Advertisements

The more educated, the better, always, but who says university and college, which is conducted exactly like high school but with less homework, and more distance between classrooms equals education?

okay it depends on what you are studying too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,153,054 times
Tuition-Free Universities and Colleges in Europe for International Students | 2013-2014 Scholarships

Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM

475 posts, read 855,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Libral Arts degrees aren't useless
I'll hire a college grad over someone who doesn't have a degree
Do you know why?
Not because they are smarter.
It's because the can actually apply themselves to something, commit 4 years of their lives to advance themselves.
I know they wont bail if things aren't all fun and games.
Those same reasons is why I get hired. I'm a United Sates Army veteran, you want to talk about commitment, dedication and sacrifice. Like I said earlier wanting to achieve a degree is not the problem, the cost of it is. Education should not be a money making business, education should be a means to enrich the lives of all and most importantly develop the skills necessary to achieve success in the real world.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,238,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Those same reasons is why I get hired. I'm a United Sates Army veteran, you want to talk about commitment, dedication and sacrifice. Like I said earlier wanting to achieve a degree is not the problem, the cost of it is. Education should not be a money making business, education should be a means to enrich the lives of all and most importantly develop the skills necessary to achieve success in the real world.
Most higher education is non-profit. Most top universities do not make money off of tuition.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,081,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
In other countries, you don't have to pay for school. Yes
Other countries are better than America. No

College is a relatively new invention, No its been around for thousands of years
Excluding medicine, to a degree, a lot of the primitive methods are superior to modern methods. NO, How many high rises mud structures do you see?
I'd love to see a jump back to hunter gatherer life. Everyone would be a lot better off. All the advancements tend to make things worse. Yes, and your wife can die birthing shildren an most of them would die horrible deaths before 40. Usually dead isn't better of
Sure 3d printing organs is awesome, but do we really need processed food in a ****ty grocery store when we could go out and get a much healthier alternative on our own? Yeah go out an get a meal on you own.

Huge numbers of college graduates are unemployed. Huge numbers are underemployed. Huge numbers are in fields not related to their degree. Clearly the American educational system is flawed.

Clearly college is not a garentee of employment and there are only so many job prospects for Gender studies
see above

Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,805,293 times
If you want to get an office job based on your intellect, you need a bachelors degree. Its either what you need to get your foot in the door, or a barrier to career growth if you don't have one.

If you can learn a skill/trade or open a business you can do well also.

You cant just graduate HS and get a good job anymore. I think people generally just stress that you need to learn to do something that can make you a living

Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,765,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Most.

Two years of community college is under $3,000 in tuition plus maybe another grand for books. You can get a part-time job and pay for that or more likely parental help and/or cal-grant will cover the cost. State university is $6,600 a year. Again, Cal Grant is going to cover most of that, $5,500.

That maybe true in California, but it is far from true in every state. it is about $6500 for 2 years of community college plus another $3600 for books those 2 years in Colorado. For Colorado State university it is about $7500 for a year of tuition, but once you add in other required fees that number becomes just under $10,000 before books.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,451,433 times
I think people tend to forget that college is not only important for the job market. Possibly more important is its value in an advanced society.

My counter-argument would be, if you don't like living in a society where a premium is put on college education, move to somewhere where it's not and see how you like it in comparison. I am guessing you would not like it very much. Or perhaps a more feasible option would be to visit a domestic location with a low college grad rate. Come visit Detroit, where, according to C-D, only 13% of the population has a bachelor's degree or higher. Then visit Cupertino, CA, where 75.5% of the population possesses a bachelor's degree or higher. Tell me which city seems better off. So what do you think now about the value a society puts on college education?

Last edited by Tekkie; 09-01-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,497,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
The argument goes like this:

"We live in a big, complex, connected world these days. The more education, the better."

You hear it a lot from politicians. I've heard it in every State of the Union by Obama, something about how we need to send even more high school kids to college because their education will make them all do great things like build solar energy panels for Solara.

Is today really so different than 30 years ago? Most of the positions I see requiring a college degree are positions that existed 30 years ago. So how did they fill those roles 30 years ago, before there were college grads galore? For instance, I'll see a listing for Operations Manager and it requires a Masters in Supply Chain Management. I'm pretty sure that a "Supply Chain Management" degree didn't even exist 30 years ago, yet managerial positions like that obviously existed and they found people to fill them. Did nobody know how to run a business before Business degrees existed? How is it that Abraham Lincoln became a successful lawyer without going to law school?

In my opinion, the economy would be just fine if we didn't keep subsidizing the higher education system to churn out a ton of grads. We would have just as skilled a workforce as we do now. Companies that need skilled workers would figure out how to get find and train talented individuals. There would be more entry-level jobs. Of course, some vocations truly do require higher education. If you want to be a Statistician, you really do need a theoretical background in probability and will benefit from taking Real Analysis. But jobs like that will always be the minority.

Here's a thought experiment: Suppose that 100% of people got a college degree. Do you think that would automatically make the economy restructure so that 100% of jobs need that much education? Would unloading boxes in a warehouse be a job that suddenly benefits from having 4 years of education after high school? Would warehouse jobs suddenly cease to exist? Obviously not. There will always be low-level jobs that don't require any knowledge besides basic writing and math skills. Making everyone educated beyond that just makes education an arbitrary filtering mechanism and disappoints and depresses college grads who have to work jobs that they know they could've got right out of high school.
The world is a lot different. Most people in non-professional/non-degree holding positions are glorified computer operators. They just do not realize it. I saw a documentary about an automobile plant in the South where everyone needed to know how to use a computer, where little actual labor was being performed, by humans, but most of the "labor" was done by robotics through automation.

Not sure if people necessarily need a college degree, but people need specialized training on how to use computers in these types of settings, because it is not the same as using a PC at home. These days the average person is proficient at texting on a smartphone, and that's about it. People should receive this type of training in high school, rather than being prepared for college. Those that want to go to college could take your usual AP courses, etc. like they have always done, but 90% of people in college have no business being there because they are only there to get a job. They do not want to expand their minds and think analytically, abstract, etc. which is what college used to be back in the fifties and sixties. Then they go into $100,000 or more in debt, when they could have just received training on the level of what it takes to get an associates, and been okay for most jobs in the workplace.

We have an education bubble in this country. Students are over-educated, and underemployed. It shouldn't cost $100,000. It should cost $5,000 to $10,000, at best, for most of the jobs out here.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,248,016 times
My partner at work is Irish. He started on a vo-tech track at age 13 and they put him to welding immediately. By the time he graduated his equivalent of high school he was a full qualified pipe welder and fitter, all processes, all positions. This in what right wing morans call a "government school".

Now he's in America, making the big bucks, as American construction companies utilize the training paid for by the Irish taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment