Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Why do you want a job as a grocery bagger? In that other thread I gave you steps to get a job in a trade where you can make a living for the rest of your life, and you are worried about getting a job meant for 15 year olds?
I think he is just trying to find a quick job that will pay him money and allow him to move out so he isn't homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,754,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I think he is just trying to find a quick job that will pay him money and allow him to move out so he isn't homeless.
He is not the original poster in this thread, he is a guy who loves to post about how hopeless things are, how he needs help, and then ignores or makes excuses why he cannot use the help. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but the more I see the more I think he is just trying to troll.

also you want a job by monday afternoon do exactly what I posted in the other thread, you will have a job full of hard work and low pay, but it will lead to a lifelong trade that will provide a good living for a very long time.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,412,398 times
I'm probably going to try doing what you guys said. But I don't have my hopes up. I can't even get the time of day for a grocery bagger job, and you say I should be walking into a shop and getting them to train me and then hire me. A 23 year old with a G.E.D. and not much work history, in this economy.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm probably going to try doing what you guys said. But I don't have my hopes up. I can't even get the time of day for a grocery bagger job, and you say I should be walking into a shop and getting them to train me and then hire me. A 23 year old with a G.E.D. and not much work history, in this economy.
You are 23 years old, grocery stores do not want to hire a 23 year old to bag groceries, they want young kids that are going to work their way through high school and never ask for a real raise or promotion past checker in that time. I am sorry but part of your problem is that you are applying for jobs with no future and managers are looking at it like you are choosing to be a loser, because at the end of the day nobody wants to give an adult a dead end job that typically goes to high school kids or retired seniors. They want people they can pay nothing to, and that will not complain constantly about their lack of a future, people that are not looking for their future from a job but instead are still hopeful that school will provide that or that have already lived their career lives.

Yet you fit the exact mold for what most of the trade type companies are looking for, a younger guy who is willing to show up and put in work, while not having a ton of options. you are still young enough to go out and actually build a long good career, but you are not going to do that sitting there complaining about the economy and how you only have a GED. The economy sucks, and screwing up in high school is not a good thing, but there is still money to be made out there and work needing done, you just have to use unconventional ways to find the jobs. Then you have to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself and build your life through hard work and being responsible now.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,412,398 times
I'm always on the lookout for factory/warehouse jobs. All I ever see is temp stuff, and it's not even the company posting the ad. It's some weird third-party agency advertising it. I'm assuming after you apply, or send a resume, it's up to them wether or not to forward your application or resume to the actual company. I suppose the only way around this is to do things the old fashioned way. But that's only half the battle. Usually the ad will say they are looking for an order picker, and they are seeking someone with a year or 2 years of experience doing this. Not sure why these places are expecting that for a job that requires no brain power.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm always on the lookout for factory/warehouse jobs. All I ever see is temp stuff, and it's not even the company posting the ad. It's some weird third-party agency advertising it. I'm assuming after you apply, or send a resume, it's up to them wether or not to forward your application or resume to the actual company. I suppose the only way around this is to do things the old fashioned way. But that's only half the battle. Usually the ad will say they are looking for an order picker, and they are seeking someone with a year or 2 years of experience doing this. Not sure why these places are expecting that for a job that requires no brain power.
I do not know if my techniques would work on factories or warehouse jobs, they maybe too big especially if they are using temp agencies. Fact is I hate factories and warehouse jobs, I worked at one for a temp agencies when I was young and one when I was a little older and had no other options. I hate being cooped up in a building and the loud banging and noise all the time. so I have done more to avoid those jobs even more then I do with fast food and retail jobs.

Even for the office jobs I have had I still spend close to half of my time out of the office going back and forth to meetings with clients, especially outside of tax season.

I do know my techniques will work with the trade companies looking for help on the trade type jobs, like welding, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, remodeling, disaster restoration, even landscaping, and those types of companies, because I have used them, and know other people who have used them with success.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,523,524 times
Anyone else noticed that parried has managed to hijack yet another thread?

Old 09-29-2013, 05:06 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,715,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 479968 View Post
I am not bipolar, just hard of hearing without my hearing aids.
I, because of my business, shop at Home Depot just about everyday of the week in both the south and north east. I've noticed, for reasons I can't understand ,but in all the the HD stores I shop in the man they employ in the key cutting area is hearing impaired.

Don't know if its just a coincidence or. . . other. Give it a shot.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:07 AM

107 posts, read 181,920 times
Default Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Threaten to put your grandparents in a home unless they buy you a car.
Even easier: when they start kvetching, just turn down your hearing aid

Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,381,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post

Yet you fit the exact mold for what most of the trade type companies are looking for, a younger guy who is willing to show up and put in work, while not having a ton of options. you are still young enough to go out and actually build a long good career, but you are not going to do that sitting there complaining about the economy and how you only have a GED. The economy sucks, and screwing up in high school is not a good thing, but there is still money to be made out there and work needing done, you just have to use unconventional ways to find the jobs. Then you have to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself and build your life through hard work and being responsible now.
The only way he fits the mold is his age. He is a chronic complainer and does little. I guarantee even at $15/hr after a hard days work he will probably quit and claim its too hard working on your feet for 10-12 hrs, it's too hot, it's too cold. After a month he'll complain he hasn't been promoted "ive watched what those guys can do, I can do that, it's not fair they wont let me"

Ive worked in construction for over 5 years. Now I work management in construction. When you hire people you want someone who takes initiative and is a go getter. Based on his posts here I wouldn't hire him at all. His negative attitude seems like it would cause more problems than he's worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment