Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,412,398 times

Advertisements

You're correct. It's not feasible on a 1 hour commute though. Employers in Boston have plenty of local folks to choose from that are within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,412,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Obviously, I'm just saying the opportunities are out there. If they're in rural, one-of-the-poorest-states like Maine then they're definitely in well-to-do North Shore as well. I mean, you live in a metro area with 5 Million people and access to a whole network of public transportation. You have a lot of opportunities that people up here don't have.
It may be economically depressed but the atmosphere is interesting. The last time I've been to maine was back in 2002-2003, we'd go camping at my uncles house in the woods.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,833,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
The old people are completely clueless to how it is now. I would just try your best to find a job at a restaurant, box store, or any of those other places and move out. Military would be an ok option too.
The military is the last desperate move...Never go near the military unless you really want to and it is something that is in your life plan. Yes old people like myself do get it...Times have changed...When I was a teenager I could walk through an industrial park...Step into the office of some company...ask to see the manager...talk for ten minutes and be asked to work the next day...NOW...everything is a digitized hellish mess of thousands of those things they call resumes ..that no one reads ...and you deal with people you can not see...Simple jobs should be easy to get...problem is most are now in China...our corporations double crossed their own in favor of cheap labor.

Your grandparents if they are poor and struggling...I can see them putting pressure on you...If they are well to do they should just be more patient...now again...as for the military . Do you really want to end up in Syria possibly and as the bullets fly you can think..."I am here because I am poor"....that is not a wise option.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

361 posts, read 922,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It may be economically depressed but the atmosphere is interesting. The last time I've been to maine was back in 2002-2003, we'd go camping at my uncles house in the woods.
Yeah, a few years ago it was one of the few unique places left in the country. Unfortunately, in the last twenty years or so the Red Army from Boston and New York has really been working it's way up the coast. Yuppies trying to escape from urban America - though naturally they praise the diversity of the city and how wonderful it is from afar - and bring the suburbs to us rural folks. They push for larger police forces, they bulldoze the blueberry bushes that grow on the sides of the road so everything can look nice and manicured and very Long Islandesque, then all the local businesses start getting pushed out for Starbucks or some other high end coffee place - and after that they'll need an Amtrak put in so they can quickly go back to Boston or NY and tell their friends about how wonderful it is to live in the country.

And then they'll dig themselves like ticks into the local school boards.

It's sad man. Well, at least Northern Maine is still good.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
Quote:
You're correct. It's not feasible on a 1 hour commute though. Employers in Boston have plenty of local folks to choose from that are within walking distance.
It's still better than other options that won't happen at all. I'd try that. Hopefully you can get a job you can build savings towards getting a place of your own closer to the job you may get.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
I commuted 30-45 minutes at my last job. Since I lived in the city, it would often take longer. Before that job, I was commuting 45 minutes. When I worked in Detroit, my commute time was often an hour. Plenty of people commute long distances. Particularly those who have no options, such as yourself.

It is not feasible to whine on CD 24-7 waiting for an opportunity to land in your lap.

Quote:
Know anybody hiring in the Haverhill area? Everyone wants experience to sweep floors or there's too many hoops to jump through. Tired of the online application stuff TBH.
That's a ridiculous statement. Nobody would want an experienced worker for a job like that because they would LEAVE after the 1st week. You know not what you speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wait? You're in Haverhill? Haverhill MA? If so, you're on the commuter line. You can work anywhere in Boston easily. If it is a different Haverhill, forgive me.
Folks have given him all sort of potential options and advice. All ignored. What a waste.

Watch how he doesn't even acknowledge your help with a simple response or a thank you. Quite rude if you ask me.

Some people just enjoy sitting around like a bump on a log while tax payers furnish their living expenses.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:

Except there are TONS of help wanted signs here, so the isn't the case.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,180,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
It seems pretty unfair that parents can teach their children absolutely nothing of practical value and then deride/abandoned their kids when they can't find work. There's no precedence for this in any other social creature. Yes, it is true that lions, apes, and so on do literally "kick out" some members of their society, but this is only after imparting a lifetime of survival skills in that same individual. The individual that is forced to leave is able to go out into the wild and start a new pride, family, etc. Ours is the only historical society I'm aware of where the society - from the parents up through the schools and all other institutions - can teach a person literally nothing and still expect them to survive on their own.

These grandparents of yours - have they taught you how to wire a house? Have the taught you how to amortize a bond? Have they taught you ANYTHING at all that would help you get on in the real world?

I bet the grandparents worked their entire lives and did not waste their time playing Xbox. They set an example for their kin. Too bad the kids/grandkids were not paying attention.

Life is hard. Get a helmet!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,318,215 times
Where I live people use the same excuses, but there are plenty of jobs. It might be on the bottom, but it is a job. Sometimes you have to take the crap job just to get experience. If you work your butt off, you will have a great reference in the future.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Where I live people use the same excuses, but there are plenty of jobs. It might be on the bottom, but it is a job. Sometimes you have to take the crap job just to get experience. If you work your butt off, you will have a great reference in the future.
Lemme ask, how competitive are these "bottom jobs" and do they require experience for them? I think that is where a major part of the problem lies IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment