Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 PM

285 posts, read 427,699 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few job ads for this
is this a valuable career
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,405,522 times
If you have to ask, it's going to be a long educational curve.

You can make decent money in SEO/SM marketing, but it is a highly competitive field.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM

285 posts, read 427,699 times
Where do I start! What are the best books to learn?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,405,522 times
No books. Get a Twitter account to 10K followers and a FB account to 5K "likes" for a service. Then you can start to build a portfolio.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,831,335 times
The Marketing agency I work for actually that is our specialty. It's actually somewhat hard to get into but no impossible. I think it's a valuable career and can be interesting, but it is very very very dry work for the most part. I personally don't work on the client side for the agency, but most people like the work but I think they find it unfulfilling. However, if you are very strategy driven and analytical you will love it. In fact I think that's all you need to be, and if you are not, I wouldn't recommend it.

Good industry, but very dry work. Pay (at my agency at least) is decent, nothing to knock your socks off but not bad at all either.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
Default Suggestion

The job of SEO or social media marketing you will it interesting.Only the think you need to have the communication skill with the users so that you can do marketing of your product effectively boca raton seo is one of the popular Seo company which provides the best Seo services to the clients all over the world.Check out bbexmarketing.com for more details .

Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,496,407 times
I've interviewed at some companies that sell this service. Pretty much like working in a boiler room. One place told me that you needed to make 80-100 cold calls a day on the phone. The thought of being tied to a cubicle for 10 hours a day dialing for dollars did not appeal to me and I passed on the offer.

Used to sit on the other side of the phone and bought SEO services for a company. I would get 2-3 phone calls a day from people trying to sell me SEO and social media marketing packages. For the average business owner or manager getting a call from an SEO company ranks up there with people trying to sell me credit card processing. Hated getting the calls.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjennifer View Post
The job of SEO or social media marketing you will it interesting.Only the think you need to have the communication skill with the users so that you can do marketing of your product effectively boca raton seo is one of the popular Seo company which provides the best Seo services to the clients all over the world.Check out bbexmarketing.com for more details .
Oh, so communication skills are important? Presumably intelligible grammar is also a plus? Is this a field you're in? Simply curious and just couldn't resist asking.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
For the average business owner or manager getting a call from an SEO company ranks up there with people trying to sell me credit card processing. Hated getting the calls.
They would always call me when I had my hands deep in a big bowl of dough or something equally gooey, or running between the ovens and the stovetop. I know they're chained to a cubicle at a bloody awful rote job and always tried to have a kind tone of voice as I blurted out, "Sorry, not interested!" before hanging up the 'phone.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,745 times
You need to enjoy working with people. As Peterson said, if you have to ask, then you are in for a steep learning curve. What makes you think this is a good career choice? Do you have any background in building websites? Running an e-commerce store?

These are all important questions for you to answer. I really enjoy doing SEO because I am competitive by nature and love talking to people who work online. It's not for everyone and can also be mundane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment