Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 PM

24 posts, read 38,538 times

Advertisements

...and struggling to find work.

I am in my mid 20s, with an MA (and a BA in History) from a relatively respected school. I have worked seasonal jobs, and have worked as an adjunct history professor for a year and a half. I have chosen not to go back to graduate school and work towards a PhD because I feel the job market for PhDs in History is abysmal and, while I enjoy working as an adjunct, I don't want to keep doing this. After all, the trend for PhDs in the Humanities is adjunct work. I should mention that my MA was fully funded, and that I received a stipend, so I have no debt from graduate school or undergrad.

While I possess what I feel are good skills, (research, writing, the ability to familiarize myself with broad array of historical interpretations, oral communications, etc), and have developed practical skills at my other jobs, it is hard finding full-time employment.

So, my question is this: how do I sell myself to employers? My accomplishments (several competitive funding grants that allowed me to go to Europe to research my MA, as well as numerous good reviews during my teaching evaluations) seem to count for nothing. Are academics doomed when applying for non-academic jobs? Are we seen as just too stuffy? I'm willing to work hard, I've worked for little pay, and I don't think I have unrealistic expectations in regards to work and earnings. The closest I've come to a full-time job outside of academia was for the position of grant writer at a company that received contracts from the VA; it paid only $28K a year, and it ultimately went to someone else. I would have been content with that job, at least as a starting point. But even then getting my foot in the door was tough. I haven't gotten a chance anywhere else, except at some local colleges. What could I be doing better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,018,117 times
Bottom line, you have a degree that is not useful to most employers.

I'd stop with the trying to sell something, no one wants.

People in your situation go down a different career path. For example, look for a job that pays okay to start but has potential for you to earn a high income, like sales.

You have to get real with yourself and accept your situation as is and work on going down another path.

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 09-01-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,946 times
I agree with Rocco. You have which is applicable to nothing outside of academia. (Wait I can think of one, if you have strong editing skills you could probably get a job as an editorial assistant for publisher of history books.) I am curious, what did you think would happen upon graduation? Why did you think your degree would be marketable, did you have an specific jobs in mind?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:53 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,814 times
What I am curious about is why did you study history? I get that you had an interest in History but what was your plan and end game? What did you want to do with that degree after school? It is such a narrow specialized field that I think it would be tough to find anything related to it outside of academia. Maybe tutor some kids while you're still looking for jobs? work at museums?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Well, I studied history because I liked it, because I thought it would provide me with a lot of practical skills, and because I counted on staying in academia. That, and I was told constantly when I was looking at colleges (2003 or so) that liberal arts degrees where highly valued. Representatives from major companies and banks headquartered in my hometown came to my high school and talked about the value of liberal arts in the corporate world. So, I figured, a liberal arts degree would serve me well no matter what I pursued. Then, while I was in graduate school, the recession hit and tenure-track jobs started drying up, while adjunct positions started becoming more common.

Basically, I did not anticipate the job market for history PhDs shifting so much. I do know some people from my graduate program who finished their PhDs and got teaching jobs, but they are multi-year contracts in the middle of nowhere. That was not case for graduates from my school as recently as six or seven years ago. Things have changed in a big way as far as academic jobs are concerned, and I just didn't see this coming. Maybe I went with blinders, but I was constantly told that this was a great subject to study and that it would open up many opportunities for me.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Bottom line, you have a degree that is not useful to most employers.
this.

OP: "good luck, cuz you're gonna need it!"

seriously, tho, i think the liberal arts degrees are great for teaching critical thinking skills, but most employers these days aren't looking for that.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
this.

OP: "good luck, cuz you're gonna need it!"

seriously, tho, i think the liberal arts degrees are great for teaching critical thinking skills, but most employers these days aren't looking for that.
Yes, I am finding that out. But as I said above, employers were really advocating liberal arts a decade ago. I don't know what to say, I was eighteen years old, and was unsure what to do with my life, and heard that this field of study that I personally enjoyed could lead to employment. I don't think I'm the only person on earth who went down this path.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkram View Post
Yes, I am finding that out. But as I said above, employers were really advocating liberal arts a decade ago. I don't know what to say, I was eighteen years old, and was unsure what to do with my life, and heard that this field of study that I personally enjoyed could lead to employment. I don't think I'm the only person on earth who went down this path.
So true, they lied to you. You were lied to in order to keep the system going, student loan money helps keep the economy going. Liberal arts degrees have a lower entry threshold so they were pushed... and of course the more a degree exists, the lower the value.

It's a bit long, but I agree with this guy's take:

The Last Psychiatrist: Hipsters On Food Stamps, Part 1

(As it so happens a person with a phd in History is featured in part 2..)

Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM

113 posts, read 212,312 times
Are you interested in teaching? If so, do you have the means to go back to school for a teaching certificate?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
So true, they lied to you. You were lied to in order to keep the system going, student loan money helps keep the economy going. Liberal arts degrees have a lower entry threshold so they were pushed... and of course the more a degree exists, the lower the value.

It's a bit long, but I agree with this guy's take:

The Last Psychiatrist: Hipsters On Food Stamps, Part 1

(As it so happens a person with a phd in History is featured in part 2..)
Well, fwiw I managed to go to a good school for undergrad and did not take on any debt thanks to scholarships. And as someone who has taught business, econ, and communications majors, I must disagree with your assertion that the humanities have lower entry thresholds than other fields. Granted some managed to get jobs thanks to networking, but I've been contacted by more than a few who can't find work.

Thank you for the link, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment