Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 14,250 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm 25. Live in Texas. Looking for a job. Here as some questions I have.

A. The last time I worked for a business (local cafe) was over 4 years ago (place shut down due to lack of revenue). Since them I have basically been self employed. I've done landscaping, hand man work, tree trimming, etc. How would i put that on a job application? Most i've seen do not give an option for self employment.

B. If i'm appliyng for a job, say, as a cook, should I really include my work history as a landscaper? Or should I just list my work from 4 years ago working at the cafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 AM

29,820 posts, read 24,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job-seeker View Post
Hey guys. I'm 25. Live in Texas. Looking for a job. Here as some questions I have.

A. The last time I worked for a business (local cafe) was over 4 years ago (place shut down due to lack of revenue). Since them I have basically been self employed. I've done landscaping, hand man work, tree trimming, etc. How would i put that on a job application? Most i've seen do not give an option for self employment.

B. If i'm appliyng for a job, say, as a cook, should I really include my work history as a landscaper? Or should I just list my work from 4 years ago working at the cafe?
I've done industrial maintenance and troubleshooting for a couple years when the economy sucked. I simply list it on my resume, and have a few cards handy. You should include any recent work history. Anything to highlight the fact that you have not been sitting around flicking nose boogers at the wall while collecting unemployment. School, free lance work, contracted work, anything besides sitting on the couch as the world passes you by.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
Absolutely put down that you had a job as a landscaper. It's better than looking unemployed for four years. You can use part of what you learned with job discipline, dealing with orders etc for the interview.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
You have to be the tiniest bit adaptable when filling out apps. The company name becomes "job-seeker odd jobs". Put your own name as supervisor.

Job accomplishments include marketing and client relations, capital asset management, etc.

Shoot for something with more advancement potential than cook. With 4 years of running your own business you have a valuable skillset that you shouldn't squander.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Well, it was you working for yourself. So you were self employed and in a sense ran your own business right? Even if that business was multifaceted.

Personally, I would create a name for that business and put that on the application. I would also think about a title for yourself that will put you in the best light for the job you are applying for. A business does not need to be incorporated or have any formal structure, many people run companies without formalizing.

Best of luck.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You have to be the tiniest bit adaptable when filling out apps. The company name becomes "job-seeker odd jobs". Put your own name as supervisor.
Can I do that on typical online applications? Most of them ask for work history. Will putting down I've had my own business make me look like a slacker?
Quote:
Shoot for something with more advancement potential than cook. With 4 years of running your own business you have a valuable skillset that you shouldn't squander.
Well, it was just myself who was doing the work (i did hire out a couple times) and I wasnt actually registered as an official business.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Well, it was you working for yourself. So you were self employed and in a sense ran your own business right? Even if that business was multifaceted.
correct.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Quote:
and I wasnt actually registered as an official business.
A business needs no registration. People incorporate or form LLC's to protect their personal assets but it's not a requirement. The dentist down the street probably hasn't registered either. The doctor who hangs out a shingle may not have as well. They carry liability insurance so they don't need to be an inc. or LLC, or anything else. Many landscape companies are the same - ask some.

Look, I'm gonna try to help you out here. These are tough times and although I don't condone dishonesty, people gotta eat and there is nothing wrong with trying to make a living. If I were in your position and needed a job and was applying to let's say a cook I would research what it's like being a caterer or something and then make up a goofy company name and put that down on the application. Tell them you ran a very small catering company for your friends, neighbors, etc. Call yourself primary cook or something, say you did the cooking for a block party. Whatever fits best. Tell them the work wasn't steady enough if they ask why you aren't doing it anymore. Get a friend or two lined up for a reference. Whatever you have to do. It's a tough world, play hard.

Best of luck.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
I would not even bother making up a company name, I would just put on my resume or application self-employed landscaping with the basic data, also if ever asked speak to a couple of your clients and see if you can use them as a reference for your work ethic and dependability in the case someone asks you for it.

I also agree with Fishbrains, unless you really want to cook I would go for a better job, something along the lines of what you want to do. While some especially in the corporate world may look down on you for being self employed for so long many will find that a huge plus, and even if you are not fully qualified for the job they may take a chance on you.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,974 times
Quote:
Will putting down I've had my own business make me look like a slacker?
On the contrary - it shows initiative. As long as this wasn't 'under the table' employment and you claimed your income, I would think an employer would see that as an asset. You're motivated, a self starter, organized, reliable, ect...you've got to learn how to spin yourself positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment