Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM

265 posts, read 409,448 times

Advertisements

it's two people, actually.

one is a physiotherapist, licensed. she works for herself out of her home, has regular clientele, and assistant. she is getting burned out (and is always exhausted) because her assistant is on maternity + doing those duties. She even had to take time off- just like a week or two and lose business just to recover at one point. she cannot afford to have someone fill in. I know someone else who tried to start their own business but made very little profit due to taxes being different/etc. so i am wondering if her income is 'alot' given she always works more than 8 hours a day on weekdays now.

the other one is a webcam model on streamate. she works at the call center I work at part-time and does web-cam modeling full-time. she despises the call-center work, but keeps the job doing the minimum hours allowed so that while she searches to get into her career (same field as me) she can put something on her resume. she's pretty adamant she'd still, maybe, do web pt cam work while at the other career full-time job though.

also, they are not american.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM

265 posts, read 409,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I know a man ( working by himself ) who makes $85.00hr
working 8-12 hrs a day 6 and 7 days a week.

Making anywhere between $680.00 - $1020.00 a day + a percentage on all parts.

He works on RV's and Campers and he stays busy year around.

?

Mechanics on any non-military land vehicles can make 85$ an hour? Really? Is that what it works out to after factoring in labor/parts like in shop? Or does he just straight-up charge 85? I'm intrigued.......

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
?

Mechanics on any non-military land vehicles can make 85$ an hour? Really? Is that what it works out to after factoring in labor/parts like in shop? Or does he just straight-up charge 85? I'm intrigued.......
$85.00 hr. straight-up and he charges an extra percentage on all of the parts he replaces
and he works year round in different campgrounds locally.
He stays busy in our park. Very low overhead, and he comes to his customers,
and the neighbors see him working and give him more work.
He even does work for me.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM

252 posts, read 459,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
It's not mine. I'm asking for a friend...

Note: no paid vacation, or time off, but you can choose to take weeks off without consequence or risk of being fired.
$400 a day means $50 an hour. assuming 8 hours a day work

That means your will make $104,000 a year. (2080 standard work hours)

Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,857 times
This has to be a troll, am I right?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
$85.00 hr. straight-up and he charges an extra percentage on all of the parts he replaces
and he works year round in different campgrounds locally.
He stays busy in our park. Very low overhead, and he comes to his customers,
and the neighbors see him working and give him more work.
He even does work for me.

How many days a year does he work? Does he make over 300k a year?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Wiki: Sammamish WA - The median income for a household in 2009 was $129,583, and the median income for a family was $136,689

City-Data: Estimated median household income in 2011: $131,993 (it was $101,592 in 2000)

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sammamish-Washington.html

Its amazing. I found these links:

Census: Seattle median household income tops $60K | Local News | The Seattle Times

or

Seattle Metro Area's Household Income at $65,677 in 2012, American Community Survey Shows -- WASHINGTON, Sept. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

or this

About Seattle - Prosperity - Seattle Department of Planning and Development

Its not Wiki, but it all says that the median household income is around 65k. 95 for the entire family.

Im not trying to say that you are wrong. What am I missing? How can your numbers be soo much bigger? Im clearly missing something.

Or are we only talking Sammamish county because you wrote earlier that the median income for your city was well over a 100 k. Seattle is not even located in Sammamish county as you already know. Are we talking Sammamish county or Seattle which is located in King county?

I lived in Seattle for several years and it is not that expensive to live there. You cannot compare it with SF and NYC .

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-07-2013 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

Im not trying to say that you are wrong. What am I missing? How can your numbers be soo much bigger? Im clearly missing something.

Or are we only talking Sammamish county because you wrote earlier that the median income for your city was well over a 100 k. Seattle is not even located in Sammamish county as you already know. Are we talking Sammamish county or Seattle which is located in King county?

I lived in Seattle for several years and it is not that expensive to live there. You cannot compare it with SF and NYC .
The City of Sammamish, which is in King County.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The City of Sammamish, which is in King County.

Ok, got it. But I still we were talking about Seattle alone. I know that there are richer areas but the average median income in all of Seattle Metro area is not as high as in Sammmamish.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
You might as well have asked "Do olives taste good?"

It's all relative.... I like olives.... and for me, $400 a day would be a very nice and welcomed income!
*smacking olives on the floor* No! Gross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ok, got it. But I still we were talking about Seattle alone. I know that there are richer areas but the average median income in all of Seattle Metro area is not as high as in Sammmamish.
lol at Sammmamish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
It doesn't matter what the median income is in a few high-income cities or in cities with outrageous cost of living. Since the OP didn't mention a specific city it's only fair to compare his numbers to the much larger income sampling for the country as a whole than to some hoity-toity little towns or a few select cities with a very high cost of living.
Agreed. I know there are places with higher costs of living. I'm a New Yorker so I feel it here lol Still, it doesn't necessarily mean that every single inch and aspect of that area conforms to that cost of living. Here, it seems $100k/yr fails to go a long way primarily with people who choose to live on the costlier end of the spectrum.

And many of those people truly do regard those choices as reflecting the cost of living because it's their cost of living. They don't consider that cost of living is more so meant to be measured by the cost of necessities and everyday basics that would apply to the average person. What they're thinking of is more along the lines of the standard of living.

I watch people on $50k make it easily in our city and state and who across the board think anything with six figures is a great salary. The exception would obviously be people with children to support or current medical expenses (not who might possibly have medical expenses at some point) but these are things that can render more or less any income short of "rich" inadequate no matter where you are, making it kind of irrelevant.

I think the average American would regard a six-figure salary as being great in general, then adjust its worth for individual circumstances. I don't think anyone would feel it's inherently crappy pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment