Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 PM

50 posts, read 128,070 times

Advertisements

I was at a job for 7 years, and decided to leave when I got another offer, being that I knew my prior employer was going to retire soon. The new job unfortunately only lasted 5 months, and now I am collecting unemployment. Because of the way unemployment works, my prior employer has to pay for my UI.
Now she (prior employer) has contacted me and asked me to sign a statement that I left her voluntarily so her insurance doesn't go up. I know from my former coworkers that she is closing end of month, and she will have 2 more employees on UI. She says it will not affect my claim, but that money will not come from her business, it will come from general account.
Of course you can not contact UI for advise, I have tried. I am not signing anything until I get my own verification.
Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 02:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Not an expert here, but my understanding is that any UI claims are paid proportionally by all employers you had over the prior year. So if you worked for company A for 7 months and company B for 5 months, A's insurance will be paying 7/12 of your claim and the premiums will reflect that.

I doubt that anything at all will change this.

I would NOT sign any such statement though. Unless you have 100% ironclad proof, such as a written statement from UI, you shouldn't sign anything that might jeopardize your income.

By closing at the end of the month, do you mean shutting down the business? If so, why should she even care? She won't have to pay UI premiums if this is the case. Sounds fishy to me.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 PM

148 posts, read 296,714 times
I wouldn't sign it either. Your collecting unemployment is not related to their costs and insurance costs have been going up for everyone. Therefore, a signed letter isn't going to make a difference. It is up to them to provide that proof and fight claims. A signed letter from you will not help that.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 PM

50 posts, read 128,070 times
Thanks, I didn't think I should sign.
Prior employer might be downsizing and keeping the name, but closing shop and letting go employees.
I'm glad to hear that the employer that actually let me go is paying something!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:35 PM

769 posts, read 976,731 times
I wouldn't sign anything for her at all.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,259 times
I wouldn't sign anything but the unemployment checks!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Not an expert here, but my understanding is that any UI claims are paid proportionally by all employers you had over the prior year. So if you worked for company A for 7 months and company B for 5 months, A's insurance will be paying 7/12 of your claim and the premiums will reflect that.

I doubt that anything at all will change this.

I would NOT sign any such statement though. Unless you have 100% ironclad proof, such as a written statement from UI, you shouldn't sign anything that might jeopardize your income.

By closing at the end of the month, do you mean shutting down the business? If so, why should she even care? She won't have to pay UI premiums if this is the case. Sounds fishy to me.
Good advice.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Don't sign anything. She's lying about that "general account" thing. Have never ever heard of that before.

If you do, then she can use this as proof to UI that you voluntarily quit your job which can result in you not only losing benefits, but then being forced to pay back any that you received.

How long did you work for her?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Signing it could put you in the position of repaying for the unemployment checks which you wouldn't be entitled to receive if you left on your own accord.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:31 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
I'm confused. He did leave job A voluntarily. He was then let go by job B. I don't understand why job A has any UI responsibility.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk now Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment