Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 28,881 times

Advertisements

So here is my story. I have a total of 3 college degrees. Two associate degrees and a Bachelors degree. I have an associate degree in Computer Network Administration and Computer Occupations Technology. My bachelor degree is in Actuarial Mathematics and a minor in Economics. I received my associate degrees simultaneously in 2008 and my bachelor degree in April 2012.

Upon my recent graduation I had a plan to get into some type of IT or analyst role but I took whatever I could get because I live on my own and have children to support. So since graduation I've been working as a mortgage processor making around 43k annually. I just found out a few weeks ago that we will all be laid off at the end of the year.

So of course now I'm afraid and I don't know what to do. Where do I go from here? Do I try again to get an IT or analyst role? Would anyone even consider me even though I'm more than a year out of college and don't have any analysis experience?

I really want to get out of the mortgage industry because I can tell that it's very unstable and I do not want to go through this again.

What would you do if you were me? Try to find a job in IT/ analysis or try a different field? Any input would help

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
if i were in that position, i'd apply for anything i felt qualified to do regardless of if anyone else would consider me. If I felt qualified, I applied.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I agree with random. You are fortunate that you have this much notice. Being laid off can happen to anyone, Especially in recent years. Focus on your experience, get that resume updated and how you can sell yourself, your skills and past experience to start new somewhere else. Moving on is the only option and you have advanced notice. You are clearly educated and have work experience and if you need to take something that helps you just secure an income while you seek something in your selected field-Do it. Secure yourself and your children and press forward from there. Don't listen to naysayers or doomers about this subject. Get out there and break this crazy world and its obstacles WIDE OPEN.

D. Scott.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I'm afraid I don't know anything about your fields but my thoughts are to simply find A job to hold you over until you can get a better job/a job that matches your skills and education.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Wow... you have a highly educated background that should afford you some leverage in the job market.

I agree.. just get out there and apply for whatever. You'll jump around a bit but don't forget that each position leads to further experience and further working skills that you didn't have before. You background definitely shows your ability from an academic standpoint, all you need is some work experience in a related field then you will be golden.

Although I don't have near the level of education, I was laid off from a niche position within O/S development shortly after college. I applied for anything and everything.... I ended up working a few IT type positions (Business continuity and disaster recovery) stemming from my experience as a "user"/"system admin" of the same O/S I worked. That lead to experience in that business as well as the ability to be customer fronted in sometimes high stressed environments. I always kept my eye on software so I also did a few start ups (sometimes for free) just to get into a position that affords me a position within a development group. The two combined a few years later to my current position.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Try to find an analyst role in a company that is related to real estate/mortgages/finance. This way they see you as an asset for your mortgage experience and also for your IT education and even the economics education.

Also apply at all insurance companies. Not the front office that sells insurance...but the admin side where they process the claims and do all the IT/app development work. They will appreciate the actuarial major. Maybe you get started in claims processing or underwriting and the gradually work your way into an analyst role or maybe the actuarial side.

You should consider moving for the right position so you can get your career moving along.

Some larger indie real estate brokerages have their own IT staff. They would appreciate your mortgage experience. You could get good overall IT experience in such a role. Pitch your mortgage experience and IT/actuarial/economics/math education as a plus in all your interviews as well as your cover letter. It crosses into both the business and technical side of the house. Having both is a big plus.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-15-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
You don't have a lot of time, unless they are giving you a good severance package. As others said, try for anything you qualify for while thinking about what you want to go on a career basis. With the Actuarial Mathematics and minor in Economics there is the "non-retail" part of the insurance industry. They handle not only actuarial data but also rate
analysis. Unfortunately your mortgage work is not very related to your education but your combination of study is
unusual and if someone is looking for that they would have to find you. Think long and hard about what kind of business
other than insurance would need those skills. If you prefer to go into IT, having only the AA degrees and no experience will make it a lot harder, but an IT department at a company that also handles actuary and/or economics could be interested.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Just a mention: you have one college degree. The two associate degrees are not college degrees. They are actually certificates showing you completed the 2 year requirement to earn the certificate. I'm sure you already know this.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:15 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
I agree with the others, start applying for any and everything you're a good fit for. You have children to support so right now, just making sure you have something to fall back on financially when the lay off happens is priority. Very good suggestions here with respect to which areas to focus on. Good luck to you!!!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyring86 View Post
What would you do if you were me? Try to find a job in IT/ analysis or try a different field? Any input would help
Is this job search mutually exclusive or something? Take whichever comes first, and if it's not what you want, look for work in the field you want while getting paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment