Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:37 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,160,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So was the brilliant scholar Obama. You know, the guy with every single record sealed and no visible proof of ANY academic achievement including his Harvard Law Review editorship with no articles. Oh wait. There WAS that ONE draft that never got published pushing abortion as being a "benefit to the state".

You mean other than being editor of the law review and graduating Magna C.um Laude from HLS? Those types of achievements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,258,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You mean other than being editor of the law review and graduating Magna *** Laude from HLS? Those types of achievements?
Well, obviously that's nothing when considering the alumni of the Rush Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,160,747 times
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Obama fan, and sure Bush 2 did HBS and I'm certainly not a fan of his, but nitpicking that stuff is idiotic. Felipe Calderon, Ban Ki Moon, Ellen Johns Sirleaf... many other world leaders studied at Harvard too, so what.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,258,954 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Obama fan, and sure Bush 2 did HBS and I'm certainly not a fan of his, but nitpicking that stuff is idiotic. Felipe Calderon, Ban Ki Moon, Ellen Johns Sirleaf... many other world leaders studied at Harvard too, so what.
One major difference is nepotism (Bush's father or grandpa attended Harvard) and his admission followed a rejection by UTexas law (or something). I know AA is the argument on Obama's side, but that does not account for becoming editor or his academic status. I'm no Obama fan either.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 PM

7,948 posts, read 7,882,203 times
Here's a trivia bit. Tommy Lee Jones and Al Gore were roommates in college.

While it is true that Bill Gates is Harvard dropout he grew up in an affluent family in southern california. By the early 70's computer companies popped up so it was a matter of time. He had access to computers well beyond before anyone else.

If he wants to go by all means go but frankly I wouldn't go because someone else went there. Go for yourself and your own reasons. Impressing people is something I stopped doing a long time ago.

In lieu of this there's some more impressive things

- Assembling a pinball game. 10,000 parts ($10K!) cars are simplier to build

- Join Kiva and microlend across planet. You want connections? How about providing businesses direct funding in hand?

- Don't want to go overseas? Kickstart some projects

- Networking? Download evite app and look at the networking section. Nearly every profession in the country has a trade group with some sort of conference or show

If you are going to HBS I highly recommend you read
Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School: Philip Delves Broughton: 9780143115434: Amazon.com: Books

If it is a MBA then I would also recommend reading the books on this and reading what he has to say.
The 99 Best Business Books - Recommended Reading List I have about 33 of the books on the list and have read a few here and there.

If you do it, good luck (I seriously mean it, not some sarcasm here).

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,836,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So was the brilliant scholar Obama. You know, the guy with every single record sealed and no visible proof of ANY academic achievement including his Harvard Law Review editorship with no articles. Oh wait. There WAS that ONE draft that never got published pushing abortion as being a "benefit to the state".
Not only are his records sealed so would yours be if you attended Harvard,

For that matter all universities seal their records. No copies of them are given out to anyone (without your permission).

Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,969,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Not only are his records sealed so would yours be if you attended Harvard,

For that matter all universities seal their records. No copies of them are given out to anyone (without your permission).
You are technically right, "sealed" was the wrong word.

Bush's Yale records were LEAKED. Obama's are protected since he's "one of them".

Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
One major difference is nepotism (Bush's father or grandpa attended Harvard) and his admission followed a rejection by UTexas law (or something). I know AA is the argument on Obama's side, but that does not account for becoming editor or his academic status. I'm no Obama fan either.
Obama's father attended Harvard, too.

Obama's father forced out at Harvard - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

And it was Yale, in the Bush case.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
You mean other than being editor of the law review and graduating Magna C.um Laude from HLS? Those types of achievements?
You're right, I forgot about that Magna. That's top 20%. Clinton did more - Rhodes Scholarship, for example. (even though he was a slacker and never go the degree)

Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,686,061 times
Would I go to Harvard? Never. Not a chance in hell. Why...? Because they don't have any courses in my field!

But anyone who wants to go there, can come up with the money to go there, and who gets admitted, good luck and congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment