Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You're right, I forgot about that Magna. That's top 20%. Clinton did more - Rhodes Scholarship, for example. (even though he was a slacker and never go the degree)

He wasn't in a degree program. Rhodes Scholarships are post grad awards for continuation of study, not receiving additional degrees. I've heard lots of things critical of Bill Clinton in my life, but the idea that he was an academic slacker is absurd and a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,823,599 times
Man, I love the Interweb. Some of these posts are too much. I think many of you guys are right, Harvard isn't really a good school to got to, especially since there are so many rice patty farmers in Asia who haven't heard of it; it's no wonder my applications to them have gone unanswered. And besides, seems there were a lot of idiots that went to the school too. I just never knew how low caliber it was and how it really doesn't influence anyone or hold any sort of clout for people over 40, I guess I missed the boat by a few yrs.

Oh, and yeah, that poster who said people who are 40 or older and not in Senior level positions with prominent corporations funny. You might as well all give up now. Your career should be at its peak by 40. LOL, too much. Most people I know who are senior level are way over 40. Perhaps our interpretation of senior level is different. He can't possibly mean a C level person or VP or even Sr. Director.

Losing my family? Whaaaaa? That wasn't really a thought or consideration. I'm not asking if I should go find a mistress, it's about going to school. My wife didn't say she'll leave me if I go get a another grad degree.

And for those who say I didn't give enough info I again say whaaaa? I posted so many thoughts. Do you want my social security # too? I mean I'm not asking for an assessment of the program's benefit to my career.

And for that person who said something about people going to the Extension School I say that this is not an extension program but that's no reason to crap all over the people that go to the extension school. It's an education still and personally, I respect that.

I am pleasantly baffled by some of the thoughts here. So let's see, let me put some of it together. If I got the degree in my late 20's I'd be over qualified but if I get it in my late 30's it is of no matter and would likely hurt mroe than help because it would come at the expense of gaining work experience. I guess I missed the window.

Thanks for helping me to see the light that it really wouldn't get me far, isn't much to be proud of, cause me to lose my family, and I would then likely become completely destitute. You guys ever see "The Jerk" with Steve Martin? That should be Harvard's official movie! Thanks for helping me avert disaster.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,467,415 times
After reading your initial post, my thinking is, don't do it. Later, I read some of the responses and your reaction. Sort of odd you don't like many of them.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 AM

402 posts, read 746,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
And for those who say I didn't give enough info I again say whaaaa? I posted so many thoughts. Do you want my social security # too? I mean I'm not asking for an assessment of the program's benefit to my career.
Nobody asked for your SSN; they merely asked what program you were entering. You don't have to say if you don't want except I can't understand why such a prideful individual such as yourself wouldn't want to do it.

Also, nobody cares if you go or not. Stop coming on the Interweb (as you so cleverly say) and ask for advice on a life changing topic and then mock and ostracize people for their responses just because you don't like them. There are certainly better resources out there with more people of superior intellect like yourself who can better help you think through this decision. Many of the responses here were genuine, but you choose to be a jerk about it, so please do whatever you're going to do and let this thread die. You can come back in 5 years and post another brag thread about how Harvard changed your life. I wish you luck in your endeavors. Good day!
--------------
Mary Cooper: Shelly, it's ok to be smarter than everyone but you can't go around pointing it out.
Sheldon Cooper: Why not?
Mary Cooper: Because they don't like it!!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,228,373 times
Quote:
Obama's father attended Harvard, too.

Obama's father forced out at Harvard - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

And it was Yale, in the Bush case.
I wouldn't call being forced out of Harvard the path to nepotism. Ok, Yale rather than Harvard for Bush. Atlhough it's likely that his Harvard admission was due to neportism as well. It wasn't his transcripts or publications from undergrad. The key point, though, is that he was rejected by his state law school.

Quote:
You're right, I forgot about that Magna. That's top 20%. Clinton did more - Rhodes Scholarship, for example. (even though he was a slacker and never go the degree)
Can you explain this a bit more?

Last edited by Braunwyn; 11-14-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Sort of odd you don't like many of them.

I do like a lot of them. Many were helpful and thoughtful. Others were dismissive and not insightful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Nobody asked for your SSN; they merely asked what program you were entering. You don't have to say if you don't want except I can't understand why such a prideful individual such as yourself wouldn't want to do it.

Uh huh, and why ask what program it is? Only to critique its appropriateness for my career or tell me it svcks (as some have been doing or wanting to do) and shouldn’t be a big deal. So many are seething to tell me that it’s no big deal. You are watering at the mouth to jump and say that if the program is this or that then it’s of little consequence. I’m averting it but who’s trying to be the insulting one here? It’s you.

Why? Why y’all gotsta try to steal my thunder? I said that it’s an analytical program, I’m in an analytical role. But I shouldn’t even have to say that, why not just accept that it’s the right program for me? And besides, it’s not even what I was asking. So I ask a question and rather than answering, they ask for information so they can talk about something else. So since I already said it’s analytical, I again I ask you, what purpose would the answer to the specific program serve?

That word you use to describe me…prideful. That’s meant as a dig eh? A bit of a sting right? What can I say, I am prideful. I think highly of myself. You should think highly of yourself too. And yes, it’s OK to make it known to people. I don’t think I crossed the line between cocky and confident though.

Quote:
then mock and ostracize people for their responses just because you don't like them.

First of all, loosen up. Second, grow a thicker skin. If you are insulted by the response of someone on one of the Internets then wow, I can’t imagine how you deal with real life. Have you gotten over the first girl who dumped you yet? Come on bro – it’s in good fun and I’m not trying to hurt anyone, just expressing my counter opinion in a witty way. My mama always said that if you can’t say something in a funny way, don’t bother. So in honor of that thought I say, correct me if I’m wrong…on second thought, don’t.

See, that’s a funny.

It’s not because I don’t like their opinion, it’s because of the attempts to minimize and imply there isn’t much to think about. It’s like “Oh, you have an opportunity to do something good? Meh, it doesn’t mean much, you should have already done it all.” and when I clarify and respond with “no no, aren’t you understanding…” they say “you sound like a 19 year old girl.” And dig in their feet and bury their heads in the sand even more. It infuriates me when one can’t move past the obvious so as talk about what’s what.

Quote:
There are certainly better resources out there with more people of superior intellect like yourself who can better help you think through this decision.

Thanks, but I prefer to hang with you slack jawed losers.

Quote:
Many of the responses here were genuine, but you choose to be a jerk about it,

Many of my responses were genuine too.

Quote:
Mary Cooper: Shelly, it's ok to be smarter than everyone but you can't go around pointing it out.
Quote:
Sheldon Cooper: Why not?
Mary Cooper: Because they don't like it!!!!!
This is a confusing one. Did I imply this? Or did I defend and show respect for people who go to the extension school and other programs? And what's more, that's genuine and sincere. I'm not the one looking to badmouth the institutions or programs that people attend.

I don’t get how you think I said I was smarter than anyone, that's not how I feel. I'm asknig for your opinion for heaven's sake! So I feel like if you think I am implying that, then that’s your insecurity right there bucko.

Last edited by G-fused; 11-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
I don't understand the antagonism. I spent several years at Harvard (in admin roles) and yes, the program would make a suggestion on whether I thought this was a good idea. There is nothing hostile about that line of thinking. It is just a factor.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't understand the antagonism. I spent several years at Harvard (in admin roles) and yes, the program would make a suggestion on whether I thought this was a good idea. There is nothing hostile about that line of thinking. It is just a factor.
Oy vey! The antogonism is because I keep having to say the same things over and over. For example, I did not ask for help on if the program was the right one for my profession. It's kind of a given for me, it fits. And the people I work with (more senior people to me) are directing and mentoring me. They have a good deal of insight. Let's put that aside and take it as a given. Let's pretend I'm a statistician and this is an MS in Statistics.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM

302 posts, read 369,490 times
I say go and get that degree !!

When will you have this chance again? - never

If you can't network at Harvard , you are not alive .

The clubs , friendships and connections at this university out weigh all of the nonessential postings here .

Grind it out and good luck - oh wait you already have that .....

Old 11-14-2013, 12:49 PM

7,937 posts, read 7,847,556 times
"especially since there are so many rice patty farmers in Asia who haven't heard of it"

Um I did not say they were rice patty farmers. Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong aren't exactly rice farms last I checked.
Making stereotypes really doesn't make your discussion that much better.

You know what man if it makes you happy just do it. But PLEASE make sure these stereotypes stay with yourself because if they come out in class EVERYONE will look at you and think less of you. When I went to graduate school one student made a comment about disabled people using a word that is not exactly nice let alone connected with this time. Pretty much everyone abandoned him in terms of a social contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment