Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times

Advertisements

That text has caused a volatile work place situation and should be terminated immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why would the boss address it? If you get a mean text or an ugly phone call --you are going to run to your boss about it? What in heaven's name is a boss supposed to do about a text, especially since the person who owns the phone said it got hacked?
Would you be OK if one employee was sending another one threatening texts during work? What if a male employee was sending sexually harassing texts to a female worker during work? That is not going to fly in most businesses and could very well open them up to lawsuits.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That text has caused a volatile work place situation and should be terminated immediately.
I agree that it caused a bad work environment, and though it's clear that the co-worker is lying about her phone getting hacked, it seems to be that she's sticking to that story.

I understand why an employer wouldn't want to fire someone over this situation, because how can an employer prove that she actually did send that text and that her phone wasn't actually hacked?

Also, if this is in an educational setting, don't teachers unions make it really hard to fire teachers/educators? Maybe this employer doesn't want to deal with it?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

97 posts, read 145,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I agree that it caused a bad work environment, and though it's clear that the co-worker is lying about her phone getting hacked, it seems to be that she's sticking to that story.

I understand why an employer wouldn't want to fire someone over this situation, because how can an employer prove that she actually did send that text and that her phone wasn't actually hacked?

Also, if this is in an educational setting, don't teachers unions make it really hard to fire teachers/educators? Maybe this employer doesn't want to deal with it?
Good points.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:

The employer doesn't have to prove it. It isn't a court of law.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Beware of auto fill.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The employer doesn't have to prove it. It isn't a court of law.
Yeah, but the employer has to think ahead and consider the outcomes. What if the employer fired the woman and she came back and tried to sue them? I'm not saying that she'd be right for doing that, I'm just saying I understand why an employer wouldn't fire her unless she actually admitted to it.

I feel like employers DO have to prove something when they fire someone. When I worked in retail there were people who would show up late all the time, miss days, some of them were disrespectful to customers, etc. One of the managers told me that he couldn't just fire them, he basically said firing someone is actually pretty difficult.

Just my two cents.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but the employer has to think ahead and consider the outcomes. What if the employer fired the woman and she came back and tried to sue them? I'm not saying that she'd be right for doing that, I'm just saying I understand why an employer wouldn't fire her unless she actually admitted to it.

I feel like employers DO have to prove something when they fire someone. When I worked in retail there were people who would show up late all the time, miss days, some of them were disrespectful to customers, etc. One of the managers told me that he couldn't just fire them, he basically said firing someone is actually pretty difficult.

Just my two cents.
I agree with the underlined. The employee that got that text could just as easily sue them for a hostile work environment. Personally I'm going to take my chances that the person who sent the text wouldn't have a shot at winning.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I agree with the underlined. The employee that got that text could just as easily sue them for a hostile work environment. Personally I'm going to take my chances that the person who sent the text wouldn't have a shot at winning.
Probably not, but she could claim a ton of things. Her phone was hacked, autocorrect misspelled a word she was typing to c***, she was referring to someone else, etc.

This situation just doesn't seem all that different from all of the other situations people have posted about on this forum regarding horrible coworkers/bosses.

If I was in this situation, I'd confront the coworker and let her know I saw her text and didn't believe that it was hacked, and from that point on I'd just ignore her as much as possible while still maintaining professionalism.

Edit: I think maybe I just have thick skin, I wouldn't let something petty like name calling get to me unless it was insinuating violence towards me. I don't want to go into a long drawn out story, but I was bullied a lot growing up for having glasses at an early age, having a foreign name, being taller than everyone else (I'm female and have been over 6' tall since I was 13), being the "new kid" all the time, so I guess if someone calling me a c*** was the worst of my worries, I'd consider myself to be pretty lucky. Because at the end of the day, it's your coworker... who cares about her?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Probably not, but she could claim a ton of things. Her phone was hacked, autocorrect misspelled a word she was typing to c***, she was referring to someone else, etc.

This situation just doesn't seem all that different from all of the other situations people have posted about on this forum regarding horrible coworkers/bosses.

If I was in this situation, I'd confront the coworker and let her know I saw her text and didn't believe that it was hacked, and from that point on I'd just ignore her as much as possible while still maintaining professionalism.

Edit: I think maybe I just have thick skin, I wouldn't let something petty like name calling get to me unless it was insinuating violence towards me. I don't want to go into a long drawn out story, but I was bullied a lot growing up for having glasses at an early age, having a foreign name, being taller than everyone else (I'm female and have been over 6' tall since I was 13), being the "new kid" all the time, so I guess if someone calling me a c*** was the worst of my worries, I'd consider myself to be pretty lucky. Because at the end of the day, it's your coworker... who cares about her?
I still don't see why it matters what she would claim. If the firing is not related to discrimination of a protected class I don't see how it would matter. People get fired every day. Some for no reason at all. I could be fired tomorrow because my boss didn't like my choice of socks.

You also made a mention of implied violence. The text said she wanted to punch the person in the face. Sounds like implied violence to me.

Also keep in mind this person works with children. You have to question her judgement for two things. First, she is stupid enough to put something like that in writing. Second, she is stupid enough to send the text to the wrong person. I wouldn't trust this person' judgement in dealing with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment