Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
It seems the only jobs paying 50k or above where you work a standard 40 hour week and forget
about work when you leave require absurd levels of education, talent, luck or connections to get.

Am I right or wrong?
You are wrong. But some education and talent WILL be required.

50,000 / 2080 = $24 per hour RT <--- Very Common
It'll come with some decent benefits as well.
And you can add OT hours (at 1.5X) and "on call" time too.

Quote:
The main reason I asked this question is because it seems like me and ALL my friends
work more than a standard 40 hour week. ... It seems most of my friends are in the same position.
Sometimes it will be a weekend and we're out at a restaurant and I catch them taking work calls
and sending work emails. Its like they can't leave work at work.
They (and you) should do something about that.

The more you're willing to accept it... the longer it will keep happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? Nope. Office work (finance). I'm an efficient worker. I get everything done in 8 hours.
thats what i like to hear, more of this please...

if im swamped or i want to get things accomplished faster (even though it may not be necessary) i'll work through lunch and just eat for 5 mins and continue, i just like getting home at 315 in the afternoon and having a life outside work.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM

73 posts, read 102,899 times
I am not sure what you consider to be "absurd", but I have a BS in Computer Science, and my first job will pay about 70,000 per year right out of school. If you don't want to further your education at all, then I don't know what to tell you. On the other hand, if you are willing to do some school (but not 4 year), maybe look into electrician or plumber. They can make quite a bit.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
When I say 24/7 I'm talking about jobs you have to constantly think about even when you're not physically at work. Checking emails, planning, studying, etc.

It seems the only jobs paying 50k or above where you work a standard 40 hour week and forget about work when you leave require absurd levels of education, talent, luck or connections to get.

Am I right or wrong?
Linesman for electric company

Electrician

Plumber

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
The jobs (outside of Government) that everyone is talking about probably mostly skilled trades right?
Nope, I work in the finance industry, straight 40 hours a week, no checking emails or anything while not at work.

Quote:
It seems most of my friends are in the same position. Sometimes it will be a weekend and we're out at a restaurant and I catch them taking work calls and sending work emails. Its like they can't leave work at work.
A lot of people do this to seem important, most of the time it is not needed.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,556 times
My job is like this (when I working as an RDH that is.) If I were to work full time I would make over 50K and I don't bring it home with me. After the last patient is done, I clean up and set up for the next day and out the door I go. It's just one of the reasons I love what I do.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Linesman for electric company

Electrician

Plumber
Don't both Electricians and Plumbers work more than 40 hours as well as nights and weekends? Especially if you are self-employed you will definitely work more than 40 hours.

45-50 hours isn't a bad thing necessarily.. I just think its strange that once you pass a certain income the hours go up. Don't get me started on the people pulling 90k-120k. They might as well bring their bed to work.

The only people I come across with VERY high income and minimal work hours are CEO's and people who have passive income streams... like financial planners, established sales people with lots of existing clients, celebrities, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,865 times
My financial advisor had given me some statistics that were pretty frightening/dismall. I may get the overall numbers wrong but it will illustrate the point nonetheless. "If you earn more than $50,000 annually, you are in the top 1% of the world’s income earners. Have $61,000 in assets? You’re among the richest 10% of the adults in the world,

Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 AM

416 posts, read 871,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanyonw View Post
My financial advisor had given me some statistics that were pretty frightening/dismall. I may get the overall numbers wrong but it will illustrate the point nonetheless. "If you earn more than $50,000 annually, you are in the top 1% of the world’s income earners. Have $61,000 in assets? You’re among the richest 10% of the adults in the world,
Not really frightening. It actually makes myself feel better that I'm not a leech to the global society, and actually make something of myself.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
The jobs (outside of Government) that everyone is talking about probably mostly skilled trades right?

The main reason I asked this question is because it seems like me and ALL my friends work more than a standard 40 hour week. I don't usually have to think about work much after I leave.. but workload is getting so much lately that I have to take work home just to meet deadlines.

It seems most of my friends are in the same position. Sometimes it will be a weekend and we're out at a restaurant and I catch them taking work calls and sending work emails. Its like they can't leave work at work.

Maybe its just their own ambition and not something the job requires, but I just find it odd that no one I know works only 40 hours.

Also my friends are in a variety of occupations: Management, Sales, IT, Teaching, Medical, etc. I'm in procurement, but trying to get out soon. Tired of sitting at a desk all day and seeing the same four walls.
Some of us just like to work.

I, for one, find it fun to do. I solve puzzles.

In the small company I work for I am the only one who can do my job so if I don't do it it doesn't get done and it has to get done or we go out of business. With this in mind sometimes I get very busy and end up working 50 to 60 hours a week but when it gets slow, like it is now, I might show up for 25 to 30 hours most of the time taking Friday off if I don't feel like bumming out around the office.

I don't punch a time clock or fill out time sheets. As far as I know my hours are not watched and wouldn't care if they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment