Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,108,600 times

Advertisements

My employment situation is both good and bad at this time.
I've once again gotten back into the transportation racket and the earnings are healthy.
But one thing I've been having difficulty escaping is the 12-hr shifts I've been working at all the jobs I've held in the last three years.
Yes, a short period of time to be bouncing back and forth for some, but I attempt to at least hold on until something better (that isn't a mirage) comes along.

In the meantime, I'm sticking it out at this current gig until I'm eligible for a transfer.
Also, I'm taking a college course here and there just to build up that part of the resume as well.

What I'm wanting to know is just in case the search for an eight-hour/day position bears no fruit in this line of work, are there any other particular positions out there that don't go beyond that?
Eight hours/day was healthy enough for me back when I was working them and I felt more alive as well.
These 12-hrs literally seem to drain the life out of you to the point where it's work/sleep/lash-out angrily.

Don't see how anyone, especially those in the health fields and such, are able to endure it without any repercussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
I generally work 40 hours a week, occasionally putting in a Saturday when I feel like it. I used to work 60-80 hours a week for years starting out, and it never really bothered me. What did me in was when I started working 40 hours a week, and that kinda made me lazy The money also doesn't mean so much anymore. It would probably be different if I had kids or more bills to pay, but I enjoy the shorter workweeks these days.

Those 12 hour shifts can be a bit much. It is basically work followed by sleep. It also takes a toll on your ability to focus and concentrate at work. My company can't make money if I make mistakes. I don't feel like putting them in that position, but most companies I have worked for only allow a few select folks to work 12 hours a day. The botched work tends to to erase any potential gains made by such a workday.

By the way, the long workweeks were not a problem for me until they became a problem. Hypertension, stress ulcers, creeping aches and pains, low energy and complete disinterest in the things I used to enjoy... It catches up to ya eventually.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Can you provide more information on your current line of work and areas of study? It depends on what you consider decent. Are we talking the median salary or 6 figures? There are plenty of people that make the median salary or more and work 40-45 hours. It seems that long shifts are the standard for health fields though. I could never work in a hospital.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 PM

As I said, I drive trucks at a cheese plant and make about $3500/mo gross.
The money's okay, but I just feel I could be working less hours for the same amount. Studies wise, I'm just taking one class right now and at my age, still don't have a particular degree in mind. I have taken an interest in geology as far as academics.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I generally work 40 hours a week, occasionally putting in a Saturday when I feel like it. I used to work 60-80 hours a week for years starting out, and it never really bothered me. What did me in was when I started working 40 hours a week, and that kinda made me lazy The money also doesn't mean so much anymore. It would probably be different if I had kids or more bills to pay, but I enjoy the shorter workweeks these days.

Those 12 hour shifts can be a bit much. It is basically work followed by sleep. It also takes a toll on your ability to focus and concentrate at work. My company can't make money if I make mistakes. I don't feel like putting them in that position, but most companies I have worked for only allow a few select folks to work 12 hours a day. The botched work tends to to erase any potential gains made by such a workday.

By the way, the long workweeks were not a problem for me until they became a problem. Hypertension, stress ulcers, creeping aches and pains, low energy and complete disinterest in the things I used to enjoy... It catches up to ya eventually.
I seem to remember responding to your post back in those days when you were working all those hours. I had mentioned you were younger and had no kids and when you're in this situation it's almost easier to keep working these hours because you have nothing to come home to. I also said I knew you would get sick of them after awhile. I know, I've been in this situation. It wasn't nothing for me to work 70 and 80 hours a week. On the other hand when you do have kids, without a doubt you will need more money, but to what end? If you have to work 80 hours again just to sustain your lifestyle, is it really worth it? I myself don't have any kids, but I know others who had worked so much they never got the chance to see their kids grow up.

I guess it all boils down to how much money you really need. I've know so many people who live to be the Joneses and will work every available hour of overtime thrown their way just so they can go out and overspend on themselves. These people live paycheck to paycheck but somehow have all the nicest cars, motorcycles, big expensive houses, and the latest and biggest HDtvs. These people also will trade in a 2 year old car with an upside down loan and dig an even deeper hole just so they can make sure they are at the top of the hierarchy. But there is one more thing they have... STRESS... and justifiably to. All it would take is one missing paycheck, or a trip to the hospital, and what little safety net they had is gone

It's a really easy trap to fall into. I could have did it years ago but I had the foresight to realize my job wasn't going to last forever. Because of this, I chose to live below my means. If I buy a car, it will last at least 10 years, if I buy a house it will be a house I think I'm approved for, not some realtor who's paycheck is in direct proportion to the price of my house.

My best advice would be not to get in a situation where you are required to work those kinds of hours. Now if they allow you to volunteer to work overtime, that's great. You can earn a little extra money but it would be at your discretion. Just don't fall into the trap of using this money to acquire more bills because once that happens, OT is no longer at your discretion and on the other hand, you just don't know if and when it will end.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
When I was younger and lived closer to my job, I'd pick up extra shifts. I also wanted to buy a house or something like it, and had that goal.
Now that I'm older, I must say that I probably couldn't work extra (doubles, etc.) even if I absolutely had to, in order to eat. Something would break. I'd get sick. I'd fall apart. Thirty years can make a big difference.
Regarding longer than eight-hour shifts, sometimes it's worth it if you have a longish commute- once you're at work, you're at work. One or two days fewer getting-ready-for-work/coming-down-from-work. Less commuting.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 AM

167 posts, read 278,334 times
I'm 55 and have been working 12hour nite shifts for the last few years and can relate to you, but the money is to good to change jobs right now. I am staying, saving and retiring at 59 1/2..

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,150 times
working long hours definitly does a number on ya, especially the nightshift and weekends and everything thrown in..I used to think I was invincible and do 90 hour weeks, mostly long third shifts...now I have poor health and suffer for it. Not worth it in hindsight.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 AM

I'm afraid I might be stuck with this type of work until I get educated in some other type of skillset or trade.
There are other jobs out there that have 8hr/40hr weeks, but unless you have the certification or experience, the decently paying stuff will be out of reach.
That means I'm basically back to working $8/hr security at a gate or starting out as temp at some warehouse.
Back when I had 40/hr work-weeks, my weight was down and I felt more awake due to having more time to get some quality sleep in, being able to spend a decent amount of time at the gym, and still have enough time left over to get any additional issues cleared before starting work again.

12+hr shifts make you feel like you're crunched for time on all the days you're working.
Between 10 and 40 minutes to get to/from work(depends on if I'm carpooling or bicycling it), 7-8 hrs of sleep(no sleep=boom, crash, bang., generally Moderator cut: messing up without it), and then 3 hrs of free time before starting work again.
If the search for an 8-hr schedule in trucking land becomes completely fruitless, I may just opt for the paycut after I get some other debt cleared away.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 10-22-2012 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: language

Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Depending on where you live, you might want to check into government employment. There are a lot of variations between states (and even more between local municipalities) but in general, public-sector jobs are usually five 8-hour days. And government entities need staff at all skill levels, so just because you lack a degree does not automatically disqualify you. The pay may not be as high as private-sector jobs, though I think you could find something for more than $8/hour. Benefits are usually at least decent and sometimes exceptionally good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment