Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,857,733 times

Advertisements

It dawned on me the other day why so many (including myself) find sitting in a little cubicle, shuffling papers, staring at a computer screen, for 8+ hours a day so unsatisfying. It is because humans really aren't meant to do that kind of work. It is unnatural.

Since back in the caveman days, really up until the last century or so, the average man worked outside hunting, farming, maintaining his shelter, etc. It was all work done outdoors and it was all done with his hands. The woman took care of the children and picked berries. That translates well to the stay at home wife who takes care of the children and cooks for her family.

I guess that is why so many people who are in skilled trades where they work with their hands find their jobs satisfying. I can imagine that most of the frustration in that kind of work comes from the low pay or instability, if that is the case, but probably not the job itself for the most part. Although, I could be off the mark as I have not been involved in blue collar, hands on type work. It's just an idea I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,253,220 times
The life of the caveman has bee described as "nasty, brutish, and short." There was probably a reason for that. I'll take my chances in the cubicle farm. I really don't fancy a life of chasing mastodons for dinner and competing with cave bears for living accommodations.

When it's in the single digits outside, I'm really glad I have an indoor job. And cable TV. And pizza.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,019,701 times

We don't have a lot of time on this earth - YouTube

Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,865,082 times
Uh. Evolution. You're not happy at work because you're trying to find something that isn't there.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:36 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,697,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It dawned on me the other day why so many (including myself) find sitting in a little cubicle, shuffling papers, staring at a computer screen, for 8+ hours a day so unsatisfying. It is because humans really aren't meant to do that kind of work. It is unnatural.

Since back in the caveman days, really up until the last century or so, the average man worked outside hunting, farming, maintaining his shelter, etc. It was all work done outdoors and it was all done with his hands. The woman took care of the children and picked berries. That translates well to the stay at home wife who takes care of the children and cooks for her family.

I guess that is why so many people who are in skilled trades where they work with their hands find their jobs satisfying. I can imagine that most of the frustration in that kind of work comes from the low pay or instability, if that is the case, but probably not the job itself for the most part. Although, I could be off the mark as I have not been involved in blue collar, hands on type work. It's just an idea I had.
Maybe that kind of work isn't cut out for everyone?

I think people who find this kind of work unsatisfying should find something else. I for one, am grateful for office jobs and if people are very unsatisfied by it, they need to have a life outside of work. Period. We're not cavemen anymore.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,819,694 times
LOL we may not be cavemen anymore, but I surmise that deep down inside, despite all the charades put on by us in modernity; we are still as unruly, primal, and uncivilized as as our ancestors were. We are all savage primates vying over scarce resources.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,697,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
LOL we may not be cavemen anymore, but I surmise that deep down inside, despite all the charades put on by us in modernity; we are still as unruly, primal, and uncivilized as as our ancestors were. We are all savage primates vying over scarce resources.
Even primates follow an order.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,782,830 times
I believe understand this train of thought that statisticsnerd is having. Another thing to think about with ancient man and the hunter-gatherer types is they did not work 8 hours a day. They just did the minimum they could to survive by hunting for food and then relaxing. Of course, when ancient man settled in areas and became farmers, that became much more labor intensive for most people.

It was in the industrial era when people worked many hours. About a hundred years ago, children worked in factories in the U.S. sometimes up to 12 hours a day and 6 or 7 days a week. And no, our bodies are not used to such mechanized work or sitting in one place for long periods of time. Our mind and bodies are more like the primitive man as we biologically have not been that removed from our ancestors did about one to 2 hundred years ago.

As an aside, I did do manual labor types of jobs when I was younger being a temp and in high school, but I definitely would take an office job over that type of work where it was hard on my feet and having my hands get callouses and dry very often. If I were good at skilled labor and made good money from it, maybe I would think differently, don't know. I think it depends on the person.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM

313 posts, read 498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

I completely agree, I'll never work in an office/cubicle ever again, I can't do it. It's not just impossible for me, it's torture.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM

8,123 posts, read 12,861,969 times
I've done both types of jobs. 12 hour shifts on my feet crawling over machines trying to keep them running in a nasty environment and now my own office.

I enjoyed the physical aspect of the "caveman job" however I didn't enjoy standing on concrete for the entire shift.

Sitting on your buttocks takes it out of you in a different way. Since I went to office work I HAVE to walk five miles after work every day just to feel right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment