Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 11:36 PM

166 posts, read 446,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'd like to get into IT (working with databases or software development), but can't seem to find a school for getting a second bachelors or masters in computer science that would fit my work schedule. Can anyone give me some advice as to how to go about this? Would an associates be worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,630 times
Hey, I'm in the same dilemma as you. How old are you? You can start out by attending community college for your pre-reqs for a masters program than take the rest your university or try working with your employers about flexibility in scheduling. Another big decision would be to quit your job and just focus on school of course this depend on your financial situation. Let us know your decision.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,524,232 times
How about a Masters degree?

Look into getting a leave of absence from work. Then either self pay or get student loans. Also look into taking some classes elsewhere and transferring the credits toward the final school. Then maybe you can get by with attending full time for one or two semesters, which can limit the time you have to get a leave of absence.

Check into IRS tax deductions for tuition, books and mileage. IRS used to have such deduction if your degree was in same subject area as your existing job. Not sure if this deduction still exists or if it covers undergraduate vs graduate degree.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,741,866 times
As far as databases go, learn SQL. I used peepcode.com when I was first learning. Then, I'd talk to those departments at work and aggressively network with them.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM

6,473 posts, read 7,816,277 times
I would look into a technical school with adult programs, something like ITT tech. Their schedules are more accomodating and many are better suited and targeted to getting people a job. I don't have experience with any of them but know someone who does and it seems they teach more practical things rather than theory.

and I agree that SQL is something you will very likely need to know.

Best of luck.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,553,652 times
The best way to get into IT is thru your current job by participating in IT projects and being a superuser of the system. Schooling is a waste of time and money. Start going thru those dummy/idiot guide books and add them to your resume. Noone cares how you learned them

Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,134,761 times
I've observed three paths (I'm sure they are not the only ones) for individuals with limited experience and unrelated background.

* Certifications. I high score in letsay Sun Java Certification will certainly help you get your foot in the door.
* Peripheral role. QA, Phone Support role.
* Working startup.

I'm a product of the last two. I convinced a startup to hire me on as a peripheral role in their small but very educated development team. When asked what I knew about Java, I literally held a book up and said I'm on chapter 12. They asked a few questions and I aced it. I volunteered for any and all tasks as well as learned everything I could from them. At some point in time, I started paired-programming with their developers and coding test harnesses. Afterwards, I always targeted QA, IT, and support roles with smaller companies because its generally easier to move around within the organization. Again, volunteering for tasks that are closely tied with development (Defect resolution for example). This also built up industry knowledge (business continuity) that is often just as valuable. Yes.... it took a while but I feel like I'm at least on the right path now. Basically, target development peripheral roles and treat each opportunity as an educational one rather than focus on climbing the ladder.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,494,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would look into a technical school with adult programs, something like ITT tech. Their schedules are more accomodating and many are better suited and targeted to getting people a job. I don't have experience with any of them but know someone who does and it seems they teach more practical things rather than theory.

and I agree that SQL is something you will very likely need to know.

Best of luck.
It's better to go to school at a reputable university online than to go to the very expensive ITT Tech. Its reputation is not that great, and it's not regionally accredited. I've learned from IT experts that IT lends itself very well to distance education. The IT field is also the most open to online degrees, although, your degree won't say "online" in most cases.

You can also self-study for IT certifications or learn how to code for free online at a site like the one below.
http://www.codecademy.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment