Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM

210 posts, read 394,941 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job at a company earlier this year in the middle of August. It was at a screen printing company. I applied in person telling the manager that I had just completed a printing course that involved screen printing. He asked me if if I did alot of screen printing, but I was honest with him and told him that I had done it a few times and understood the basics. He gave me his business card and told me I can call him if I haven't heard from in a while and I was still looking for a job.

I've still been job hunting since then with no luck. I'm interested in calling this manager back up and letting him know I'm still interested, but I'm sure he's mostly interested in someone with more experience. What do you guys think I should say to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:44 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,354,282 times
I think that he has already made up his mind that you don't have enough experience. Can you get a college co-op or internship? If not, is there an apprenticeship program?

Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM

210 posts, read 394,941 times
Do you think I can offer to work for a low starting wage, or maybe talk about how much I love the printing trade and how I'll get better in a short time? Anything at all??

Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,973,762 times
It is rare to get a job without experience. The ultimate fallacy is you need someone to give you a job for you to get said experience for any job.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 PM

119 posts, read 410,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is rare to get a job without experience. The ultimate fallacy is you need someone to give you a job for you to get said experience for any job.
Amen... but one way to bypass this, if you can't get your foot on the door, is to try for alternate fields and then transfer or cross train into the field.

As far as what you should do... I'd call them and let him know you're still interested and would like the opportunity to start a career with them. Also, if you've done anything (samples, continued research, studies, other courses), I'll throw that in the lot. It can't hurt.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,386,961 times
Maybe go speak to him in person? Let him know you're interested in the work. You've showed interest by taking the course and willing to start at a lower wage than he planned to hire with the possibility of being re-evaluated in 3 months if you show promise.

You sound eager and dont have the crap attitude and constant excuses like so many here. Good Luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,563,799 times
Sign business were hit hard by the recession, I know because I ended mine after 16 years and got a job. There were 5 others in our area that also went under. That means a lot of experienced people looking for work. In screen printing the bigger shops that do most of the political campaign signs are also union, and the unions are hard to get into but you will have to start as an apprentice. Try looking into the local Graphic Communications International , signpainters, or international typographical union in your area. There are probably 20 different printing related unions. You might also try looking for a small Mom & Pop sign shop that doesn't currently offer screen printing and talk them into hiring you and investing in some equipment.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,973,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Maybe go speak to him in person? Let him know you're interested in the work. You've showed interest by taking the course and willing to start at a lower wage than he planned to hire with the possibility of being re-evaluated in 3 months if you show promise.
Providing that, you can get past the gate keepers, that is a good option. Otherwise it can be hard to do.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,386,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Providing that, you can get past the gate keepers, that is a good option. Otherwise it can be hard to do.
Well he's met the manager once so that's a start. Often I find asking to speak to managers gets you there pretty easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment