Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM

45,470 posts, read 60,692,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Since you already have a secondary license, have you considered a math or science endorsement? I honestly think these teachers might be more in demand than special ed teachers. Although, you did say that you loved subbing in special ed classrooms. I think you can do it if you want. An ESL or bilingual endorsement might also be worth considering.
SPED is also high need. Especially as each year more and more students seem to be designated.

I've been at the same school for 25 years, the student population has stayed the same. We now have 3 times the number of IEP students we did when I first went there, twice more than 10 years ago.

I know that's "anecdotal" but I think you'll find it true almost everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Special Ed is always a high need area - it isn't hard to find jobs if you have a SpEd qualification, according to the teachers in the field.

I've loved subbing in SpEd classrooms for a few reasons -

1) lower student to staff ratio - so you get to know the students better
2) you generally aren't the only grownup in the room - due to the presence of aids and paras
3) can't assume anything about the child - each has their particular characteristics

The biggest gripe I've heard from SpEd educators about SpEd is the paperwork and administration required that's part of it.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,541 times
I'm not an SpEd teacher but I'm certified ESL and a mother of a special needs child (autism).

If you aren't ready, I'd suggest going for some opportunity where you can learn to control your emotions/stress a bit more. The hardest thing about having a child with special needs (or 15 of them) is the calm and control with the uncontrollable. When they melt down, when the frustration hits, etc. Fortunately I spent 10 years prior in emergency dispatching and that really helped me prepare to teach and be a mom to a child with autism.

It sounds like you really do let your emotions control you and what these kids need is a ROCK. You have to be solid. Perhaps consider opportunities to help you develop that?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,871 times
Are you paying for your own masters?

If so, DON'T DO IT unless you are absolutely sure!

Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
in some states, you're required to have a master's to teach. Each state has different requirements and a masters in education will only increase salary a little bit as opposed to other industries where it could earn folks a lot more, so I doubt it would make an employment search any harder.

Starting out with a Master's or eventually?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Starting out with a Master's or eventually?
In the state my dad worked in, he was required to have a master's to teach special education despite being a special ed teacher in a different state. It was nuts, so he decided to retire.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
In the state my dad worked in, he was required to have a master's to teach special education despite being a special ed teacher in a different state. It was nuts, so he decided to retire.
And that state would be?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,100,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have you thought of getting a job as a teacher's aide in a Special Ed classroom to see how you'll like it?
This suggestion is of such epic magnitude, words cannot even put into context how useful it is. End of discussion.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
This suggestion is of such epic magnitude, words cannot even put into context how useful it is. End of discussion.
Here's a problem: if she already has her teaching certificate a Principal will hesitate to hire her as an aide. You may ask why? Because it doesn't make sense. I don't care what she says, a Principal will not believe it and she'll become damaged goods in his mind.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,036 times
Well, first, you are very young and still have to grow up a lot and learn about being a professional. That means that no one wants to know if you are upset (especially the principal), and crying at work is a huge no-no. You have to learn to keep that stuff to yourself, especially in a school environment. It is very hard when you are so young, but it gets easier as you get older.

Otherwise, I do not agree that you have to be a strict disciplinarian to be a good teacher. Some teachers control students through manipulation and fear, a loud voice, a lot of shouting and so on. Others build relationships with students. Still others have a great lesson plan and truly engaging lessons. The latter two will serve you as well as the first.

As a spec ed teacher you might actually avoid the problem of classroom management, since many special ed teachers don't have their own classes. They either work with very small groups or share classes with another teacher. That is a big advantage, really - classroom management becomes minimal.

You will need to be more confident, however. If you are not confident and it shows, then the students will sense weakness and attack. Nevertheless, I do not think that your personality type will prevent you from developing good classroom management strategies. Back in the day, no one even talked about classroom management. You just had to figure it out on your own. And most people did.

Without knowing you it's impossible to say for sure, but I think you have a much better chance of succeeding at being a spec ed teacher than a broadcaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment