Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

An Indiana man says he was fired from his job as general manager of a Pizza Hut restaurant for refusing to stay open on Thanksgiving, CNBC reports.

Ton Rohr, who oversees the Pizza Hut in Elkhart, Ind., said he was unexpectedly ordered to stay open, and was fired when he refused.

Read more: Pizza Hut Manager Says He Was Fired for Refusing To Open Thanksgiving | TIME.com Pizza Hut Manager Says He Was Fired for Refusing To Open Thanksgiving | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 AM

533 posts, read 1,113,317 times
Someone in the comments of the article left a great question: did the corporation or the franchise owner fire him? Either way, it's pretty terrible.

And I just google searched Elkhart, Indiana... population ~50,000. I mean, how much business would they REALLY be doing anyway? I wonder if they couldn't just stay closed on Thanksgiving and then have a Black Friday/football weekend special for pizzas that would make up for any profits not made on Thanksgiving day.

Last edited by ggumbo; 11-28-2013 at 01:36 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,596,682 times
Thank goodness. As someone who has no family, and have lived in a place where I have no family for the past few years, Thanksgiving Pizza Hut has saved my life.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:35 AM

533 posts, read 1,113,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Thank goodness. As someone who has no family, and have lived in a place where I have no family for the past few years, Thanksgiving Pizza Hut has saved my life.
When I was in college I lived almost 1000 miles away from my family and had to work on black Friday, I think I usually just made myself a sandwich?

Old 11-28-2013, 01:38 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
cue the free market right wingers who think there should be no minimum wage and people should be forced to work Christmas day for 4 dollars an hour if that's what the 'free market' dictates... while big corporations fail and get large bailouts and corporate welfare, farmers get subsidies for not growing their crops, oil companies get big tax breaks, and our strong dollar policy continues to drive what little industry we have left to China.

Yeah I used to be one of these.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,367,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Someone in the comments of the article left a great question: did the corporation or the franchise owner fire him? Either way, it's pretty terrible.

According to another article I read, the corporation said it's up to the franchisee to decide whether or not they keep their stores open. And:

Quote:
The regional manager Chuck Kayser said that Rohr actually quit his job. "He was not terminated," Kayser said. "FMI (a franchise operator) is a good company and people are going to go out shopping and people are going to need to eat. They get hungry when they're out shopping." Kayser added that he couldn't believe keeping the restaurant open for the holiday would be such a big deal that someone would quit. "Nobody is forcing anyone to work," he said.
Right, after many people stuff their faces all day they are heading toward Pizza Hut. I hope Kayser is working on Thanksgiving. And like they wouldn't have fired him for not agreeing to stay open, since no one is forcing his hand.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times
Update, Pizza Hut to Thanksgiving Rebel: Have Your Job Back

Shortly after a manager announced he was fired for refusing to open on Thanksgiving Day, Pizza Hut is offering him his job back.

Tony Rohr has worked at the franchise in Elkhart, Indiana, for more than 10 years.

Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,448,982 times
Damage control. The only way you can force most companies in the USA to not act despicably is with laws or intense public shaming.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,684,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Damage control. The only way you can force most companies in the USA to not act despicably is with laws or intense public shaming.
True. This guy would be crazy to go back to work there. They WILL retaliate.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,130,427 times
The franchise did not offer the fired manager a job back, due to the bad publicity. After the news went public, they denied firing the manager. They told the media that he quit.

Pizza Hut corporate stepped in and chewed out the franchisee. They hired him back, as a result of being torn a new one.

Quote:
"We fully respect an employee's right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving," the corporate office said in a statement. "As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment