Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should there be a minimum tip level mandated by law.
Yes, if a tip is given it should be at least 15% by law. 5 6.85%
Yes, but 15% is too high 1 1.37%
Yes, but 15% is too low 1 1.37%
No, the percentage should strictly be decided by the tipper 66 90.41%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,576,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As someone who worked in tipped positions for several years when I was younger, this is just a downright silly idea. If you are even halfway performing at your job, the majority of customers tip between 10% and 15% of the bill. Do you have the occasional customer that doesn't tip? Sure, but you also have the occasional customer that tips at 20% or 25% and sometimes even more. I once got a $50 tip from a family whose bill was less then $40 simply because I took the time to interact with their son who was mentally disabled. I didn't do it for the tip, I did it because it was the right thing to do.

People seriously need to quit whining about their wages after they've voluntarily taken a job which pays minimum wage and/or a lower wage with tips as part of their compensation. You took the job, suck it up and either deal with it or move on to something else.
Concur wholeheartedly. Everyone should have to experience the job of a server to understand what goes down in that world. I've done it. Hated it mostly. Worst tippers were elderly people who never got the word that a quarter or half-dollar wasn't what it was in their youth.

I tip well. Better the attitude, better the tip. I never blame the server for the cook's mess.

My wife has been in the checkout work and thinks everyone should experience that. Thankfully, neither of us had to do it ever again after college. I see elderly people doing these jobs and I wonder how they are still standing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 06:20 PM

8,082 posts, read 10,100,899 times
Oh my, now I am feeling old.

Four pages, and no one has mentioned what a TIP is: To Insure (sic) Promptness (TIP).

I tip for good service (generously), and I hold back when the service is poor, and don't feel the least bit of angst in doing so.

I frequently dine with parties of six or more, and am quick to notice that the restaurant will stick a "TIP" on the bill of 18%. I pay it. But I also point out to the server that the tip could have been more ( A LOT MORE) if the joint hadn't been so callous as to put the tip on the bill.

I appreciate good service, and I TIP for it. Putting it on the bill is simply poor taste, bad manners, and depriving people who provide exceptional service of exceptional gratuities.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,302,869 times
Servers whine like a bunch of cry babies. Do they honestly think they work harder than the bussers or the cooks?

No.

The cooks are responsible for the food and bussers work every second of their shift, cleaning tables, taking out garbage, collecting plates that servers should have taken, yet the servers make the most money.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Makes more sense to me to end the exemption of the minimum wage law for waitstaff and pay them normal wages. If they make a tip on top of that, fine.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
You must be an owner
And you concluded that how???

Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 PM

453 posts, read 632,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I frequently dine with parties of six or more, and am quick to notice that the restaurant will stick a "TIP" on the bill of 18%. I pay it. But I also point out to the server that the tip could have been more ( A LOT MORE) if the joint hadn't been so callous as to put the tip on the bill.
What's to keep you from adding more on top of it, like civilized people would do if they appreciated the server's hard work, rather than penalizing the poor server for what is a management policy over which the server has no control? If you really wanted to tip the server extra money, you'd do it, instead of making the server suffer because you feel like whining. Crybabies like you should just stay home and eat there.

Quote:
I appreciate good service, and I TIP for it.
Except when you feel like being a d-nozzle and don't, as you just admitted.

Quote:
Putting it on the bill is simply poor taste, bad manners, and depriving people who provide exceptional service of exceptional gratuities.
No, YOU are the one depriving the server of extra gratuities. The automatic addition of the tip to the bill for large parties arose ages ago (seriously, it goes back at least as far as 1982 when I waited tables for a living) in response to large parties routinely working their poor server half to death and then stiffing him or her completely on the tip or leaving such a small one that combined with the server's wage for however long they were there (and possibly his or her only table because you can't seat seven other tables in a section with a huge party and expect one server to handle them all) it didn't add up to minimum wage. Servers who know they're probably going to get stiffed tend to balk at having large parties seated in their sections and with good reason (who wants to bust their posterior practically for free when they could be making real money?), so this was a reasonable response on the part of the restaurant industry.

In other words, blame the arsehats who made such a policy necessary in the first place, not the poor server who just worked his or her butt off to give you a pleasant dining experience.

Last edited by Kineticity; 12-09-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 AM

233 posts, read 418,411 times
I don't think there should be any tipping. Just pay the person a decent amount to begin with. We shouldn't have to bribe people to do their job well.
Do it right, or get fired. There's hundreds of other people ready to take that job tomorrow...

Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
My guess is very good waiters love the concept of tipping and the good tips far outweigh the poor ones. And the opposite is probably true of not so good waiters.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminthian View Post
I don't think there should be any tipping. Just pay the person a decent amount to begin with. We shouldn't have to bribe people to do their job well.
Do it right, or get fired. There's hundreds of other people ready to take that job tomorrow...
That's why employers don't have to pay them well.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
My guess is very good waiters love the concept of tipping and the good tips far outweigh the poor ones. And the opposite is probably true of not so good waiters.
I'd add a guess that getting jobs at the higher-end restaurants where good tips are common and great tips are possible with better service are also harder to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment