Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should there be a minimum tip level mandated by law.
Yes, if a tip is given it should be at least 15% by law. 5 6.85%
Yes, but 15% is too high 1 1.37%
Yes, but 15% is too low 1 1.37%
No, the percentage should strictly be decided by the tipper 66 90.41%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,199,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'd add a guess that getting jobs at the higher-end restaurants where good tips are common and great tips are possible with better service are also harder to get.
or they are in very seasonal resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,519,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A better question is why? What's wrong with a 10% tip instead of a 0% tip?

I'm not a tipped employee, but I'd rather just get rid of tips. Increase the cost of food by 15% or whatever.
I agree with NJBest. Get rid of tips entirely and pay the employees a decent living wage to start with.

Tipping seems to be a uniquely American thing. Waiters in Europe are paid a decent wage. Many/most of them work for the same employer for all of their careers. As such, they don't expect a tip. Some of them even get a bit miffed if you over-tip them. Rounding up your payment to the next highest Euro (etc.) is more than sufficient. This is also generally true of cabbies.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:14 PM

389 posts, read 693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This question came up on another forum, so I post a poll to try to gain insight. If you are a tipped worker, would you favor legislation to establish a minimum tip level of, say, 15 percent? Would it help or hurt you? The tip could always be zero, but no one would be allowed to cheap out with 10%, or even 14%. Tip 14% and the customer could expect a knock on the door from a pair of guys in suits from the wage and hour division.

What do you think? Would this boost the fortunes of hardworking servers, bartenders, taxi drivers, etc?
Here's an idea: How about requiring the employers to pay at least minimum wage so I, as the customer, am not forced to supplement their wages...

Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
Here's an idea: How about requiring the employers to pay at least minimum wage so I, as the customer, am not forced to supplement their wages...
You are going to supplement it one way or another. Either through tipping or increased menu prices. Now I do agree that I rather do it though increased menu prices and leave tipping for exceptional service.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 PM

389 posts, read 693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are going to supplement it one way or another. Either through tipping or increased menu prices. Now I do agree that I rather do it though increased menu prices and leave tipping for exceptional service.
A restaurant deciding to raise its prices is not and should not be illegal; it's their prerogative. Paying below minimum wage should be illegal. Expected/required tipping from the customer in order to make up for the sleight is simply adding insult to injury.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
I was looking at moving companies reviews and this lady said she tipped her movers? She wasn't even totally satisfied? Tipping postman thread on this forum? Don't think so.

I tip 15% if ok, if it's bad service, rude 5-10% and super service gets 25%.

And those asking to get rid of tips and just increase bill, be careful for what you ask for. They have that in Europe and the service isn't as good because their is no motivation to work harder.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I agree with NJBest. Get rid of tips entirely and pay the employees a decent living wage to start with.

Tipping seems to be a uniquely American thing. Waiters in Europe are paid a decent wage. Many/most of them work for the same employer for all of their careers. As such, they don't expect a tip. Some of them even get a bit miffed if you over-tip them. Rounding up your payment to the next highest Euro (etc.) is more than sufficient. This is also generally true of cabbies.
Not exactly true.

In France, they always include a 15% service charge. Tipping is then optional. If the service was merely okay, you don't tip anything. If it was good, tip 5-10% if you feel like doing so. Your total tip then is between 15% and 25%, which isn't any different than in the US. The difference is "gratuity" is uncommon here and required there. Prague generally does not include a service charge and unless you're dealing with an old communist-era establishment frequented by the elderly locals a tip is expected. Usually that takes the form of rounding up rather than a percentage, but roughly 10%. Sometimes its 7% and sometimes its 14%. It tends to even out. A few places do include gratuity listed separately (as it is in America), and that practice has the exact same stigma.

Just as in America, a waiter in France is dependent on tips. The difference is that the tips are mandatory in France and technically optional in the US.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
A restaurant deciding to raise its prices is not and should not be illegal; it's their prerogative. Paying below minimum wage should be illegal. Expected/required tipping from the customer in order to make up for the sleight is simply adding insult to injury.
I was shocked when I heard CO allowed servers to get paid something ridiculous like $2.35 or $3.10 hr plus tips that's slave labor, no thanks. Now I am sure some corporate apologist will come along and says those jobs were never meant to support a family

Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
I believe a restaurant would have to make up the difference if the wait staff didn't make enough in tips to get to minimum wage.

I also know plenty of wait staff that don't think they are paid slave wages.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:18 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I was shocked when I heard CO allowed servers to get paid something ridiculous like $2.35 or $3.10 hr plus tips that's slave labor, no thanks. Now I am sure some corporate apologist will come along and says those jobs were never meant to support a family
They also are required to pay minimum wage if the reduced minimum wage + tips is not equal to minimum wage. California doesn't have that. It's also one of the reasons I ignore the 20% is the new 15% rule here. generally, I tip 20% but my baseline is 15%. Usually service in American restaurants is very good so I rarely find it merely acceptable. The exception is Denny's where I often leave 10%. On the other hand, last time I was at Denny's I had great service. I just left a $20 which worked out to a ~25% tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment