Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,696 times

Advertisements

Every time I see a low wage worker I respect that individual as much as I would a high wage earner. Do you know why? It is because that individual has enough of a work ethic, pride, and determination to be self sufficient.

There is absolutely no shame in being a low wage worker. It is better than having no job. The fact of the matter is that no one is entitled to a high paying, cushy, office job. The people that are lucky enough to have one usually earned it through hard work.

The people that should be ashamed of themselves are the useless leeches that sit around and whine all the time about not having a job. With the unlimited free time that you have, how much time and effort are you dedicating to finding a job? Are you trying to learn some practical skills? Are you volunteering and networking? Based on what I have seen, a lot of these people are just lazy and like to make excuses. They procrastinate, sit around surfing the web, watch tv, sleep in, stay up late, play video games, etc. The fact of the matter is that if you are not supporting yourself, someone else is supporting you! That someone else might be your mom or the taxpayers, either way, SHAME ON YOU!

If you don't have a job, a minimum wage job is NOT beneath you! It is a start! For you low wage workers, I say hold your head high and be prideful for trying to be self sufficient. Keep up the hard work and your life will improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 51,174 times
Amen. I agree! Such a positive message in these times.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Yes indeed. Working people regardless of the wage and job deserve respect, lower wage workers work hard and have stress to deal with like many others. And they often make due with less. Being in a service related industry I always drop something in the tip jar with a smile. It brightens their day and smiles always beat frowns in the often turbulent road in life in general. Many are not humble enough to understand jobs can come and go, And anyone can find themselves having to work for less in this day and age. Respect of our fellow men and women regardless of their income and what stuff they have should not be forgotten.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:37 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
You should respect ALL human beings. Period. It's common decency and should be expected at the bare minimum.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
My respect for someone has nothing to do with how much they make, family born into, etc.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
the truth is our society needs good people in all areas of labor, whether low or not. i dont give someone credit because they work, i think work should be something everyone strives for (minus the disabled - physically, mentally or otherwise). these days its like we have to give thanks to someone just because they are willing to do good work...im from a school of thought that everyone should do good work, or at least try to do good work at whatever it is they do. i respect people for being nice and polite though.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My respect for someone has nothing to do with how much they make, family born into, etc.
This. Wages or income have no bearing on respect. Ex. Paris Hilton

Old 12-25-2013, 05:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
I respect everyone, I do not even consider their wage or make a distinction between low wage and high wage as you seem to do.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
The OP is right, many people come in these forums all high and mighty about how they have good jobs and those people holding fast food jobs are just uneducated bums etc. It takes a lot of luck, hard work or a combination of both to get any kind of good job nowadays. Most people have low quality work compared to what previous generations had access too. Thinking your better than others for having it makes you arrogant and shallow. Those who accept the current economy, work hard and do the best they can on their own have tons of respect from me. For that reason I always make sure I tip these folks well when I eat out, and treat them with the respect they are due when I meet them in their place of business.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:29 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Every time I see a low wage worker I respect that individual as much as I would a high wage earner. Do you know why? It is because that individual has enough of a work ethic, pride, and determination to be self sufficient.

There is absolutely no shame in being a low wage worker. It is better than having no job. The fact of the matter is that no one is entitled to a high paying, cushy, office job. The people that are lucky enough to have one usually earned it through hard work.

The people that should be ashamed of themselves are the useless leeches that sit around and whine all the time about not having a job. With the unlimited free time that you have, how much time and effort are you dedicating to finding a job? Are you trying to learn some practical skills? Are you volunteering and networking? Based on what I have seen, a lot of these people are just lazy and like to make excuses. They procrastinate, sit around surfing the web, watch tv, sleep in, stay up late, play video games, etc. The fact of the matter is that if you are not supporting yourself, someone else is supporting you! That someone else might be your mom or the taxpayers, either way, SHAME ON YOU!

If you don't have a job, a minimum wage job is NOT beneath you! It is a start! For you low wage workers, I say hold your head high and be prideful for trying to be self sufficient. Keep up the hard work and your life will improve.
I'm a low-wage worker and appreciate this thread, so thanks! I couldn't agree more with your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment