Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,504,254 times

Advertisements

I'm really lost with my career/job hunting. I'm getting close to 30, and don't feel like I'm anywhere near where I should be at in life with my career. Worse, I've developed really bad anxiety and depression pretty much tied directly to unemployment, and I feel so much better when I'm in a job working. I started working professionally in my early twenties as a sound designer for film and video games and did that for about 4 years, but all my work were contracts and the gaps of unemployment and rat race for new work were just getting to be too much to keep up with. I relocated something like 9 times in that 4 years... I then had a lucky break and got into project management, but it wasn't a good fit for me, and after my contract was up I went back to school while working minimum wage office, warehouse, and labor jobs. I now have a B.S. in Accounting, a field I thought would be great for career stability and job opportunity, but I'm struggling to find work again! I even have 9 months of internship experience at a F500 company, but I'm getting passed over every entry level accounting and finance position and the only positions slightly considering me are VERY low paying clerk level roles that pay an insulting 12-15$ an hour for fairly specialized work. It honestly feels like a rat race again! I'm basically at the point where my dreams of buying a home and having children keep getting pushed further and further back because I can't find a steady job, and I just so desperately want a career that will just provide some security and a decent salary. (I would be so happy with even 45k right now...) I'm pursuing an MBA, I'll probably go for a CPA, and I'm learning web development with the possible consideration of pursuing it as a career path, but really at this point I'm not being picky and would really be open to anything if I knew it would provide job security and a decent middle class income so I could support me and my family. I've even been considering entrepreneurship just because I'm so exhausted from this seemingly unending search for a somewhat stable job!

What does CD thing are some surefire and realistic paths someone can take to get into a decent job these days? I'm thinking things like trade school programs, certain college degrees (like medicine or engineering), certain schools (like attending ivy league school), learning certain skills, etc. Like I mentioned, at this point I'm open to anything if I knew a job would be waiting for me at the end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,455,615 times
If you want a career in accounting, get your CPA. An MBA will do nothing to get you a job without years of experience.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,504,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
If you want a career in accounting, get your CPA. An MBA will do nothing to get you a job without years of experience.
I need the MBA (or a relevant master's) to get my CPA. The exam requires 150 credits now and still many accounting programs are only 120 credits. Honestly, the 150 credit Bachelor level Accounting degrees are kind of silly too if you ask me, since you can earn a master's and bachelor's with the same amount of credits.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:34 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,582,334 times
To answer your question: join the military. I highly recommend the Air Force over the others, though I was raised Army and served Navy. Air Force has the best duty stations and the most stability. With a degree you will go in as an officer. You will travel the world, if you so choose, and they will pay for further education. You can retire in 20 years.
See your local Officer recruiter.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:52 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,747,865 times
Truck Driver.

There 'aint no glory or prestige in it, but it pays well and is secure.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:01 AM

5,908 posts, read 4,455,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I need the MBA (or a relevant master's) to get my CPA. The exam requires 150 credits now and still many accounting programs are only 120 credits. Honestly, the 150 credit Bachelor level Accounting degrees are kind of silly too if you ask me, since you can earn a master's and bachelor's with the same amount of credits.
I know what it requires. I have the 150 credit bachelor degree and it has never held me back. All that matters is your CPA.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,941,445 times
Study computer science, medicine, or engineering.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,192,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
To answer your question: join the military. I highly recommend the Air Force over the others, though I was raised Army and served Navy. Air Force has the best duty stations and the most stability. With a degree you will go in as an officer. You will travel the world, if you so choose, and they will pay for further education. You can retire in 20 years.
Need to add one thing - being a veteran (honorably discharged) with ANY years of service pretty much means a guaranteed job with the Federal Government as well. I work for a Navy laboratory, and it's quite common for us to hire veterans - legally, we more or less have to if they happen to apply for (and are qualified for) a job opening that we post.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:07 AM

18,525 posts, read 9,210,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Truck Driver.

There 'aint no glory or prestige in it, but it pays well and is secure.
Google has a self-driving car.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 AM

6,478 posts, read 7,831,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The days of secure, good paying jobs for the masses are LONG gone, mainly because of globalization and automation.
“The masses are asses” Alexander Hamilton.

I believe that to be true. Sadly, most people are complete idiots who are apt towards the low road. It’s absolutely not true for all but in general, many are struggling today because they can’t rely on getting work as easily as people could a couple generations ago, which means that the low road life that worked in the past needs to be re-assessed and changed.

The dynamic has shifted. People who took the low road could have had a junky job in the past, today they have no job. People who took the medium road could have had a good job in the past, today they have from junky to OK jobs with the potential to grow. People who took the high road could have had very god jobs in the past, today they have OK jobs with a path for growth.

Like I said, I think most are low road people, and many of them still have junky jobs. They should consider themselves lucky.

From what the OP said, I don’t think this is true of him/her. They’re working, they’re struggling, they’re looking for something better. That’s more the high road.

I wish the OP the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment