Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 AM

74 posts, read 133,776 times

Advertisements

I know I'm going to get responses like "You should be happy you have a job" but here goes..........

My current job is 35 miles from home, only 37-1/2 hrs per week as an Accounting Clerk ($14/hr). I JUST started the job 2-1/2 weeks ago. Although I like the work and the people there, it is just too far of a commute....something I didn't think through enough before I accepted the position. The commute is all interstate driving and with the winter in PA the way it's going, I am stressing about the drive in bad weather. I've never worked farther than 11 miles from home so this is all new.

Prior to this job I worked 2 miles from home, 40 hrs per week as a shipping & rec'g clerk. Yes, 2 miles from home!!! Crazy for leaving, right? I worked there 2-1/2 months, loved the people there but did not like the work at all and learned after starting that the company did have a high turnover of employees. I realized why after I began working there. Again, didn't do my homework before I accepted that position.

My job history before this is pretty stable. I worked for 20 years FT in a sales office but 2 years ago had to find PT flexible work. I worked for my church as secretary and financial secretary. I'm still there a couple hours a week as fin. sec. which I've kept through all this and plan to keep, even maybe increasing some hours.

So, in the last 4 months I've worked these 2 jobs and have maintained the church job, although it's only PT. I have been making rash decisions lately when it's come to my employment and I'm afraid it's going to hurt my future chances at a stable job. I'm really not a job hopper and I don't want to be labeled one. I just have not had much luck lately finding a FT job that's an all around good fit.

I have not resigned from my current job but I am looking for something closer to home. But I feel terrible because I'm still training but I'm looking elsewhere. I don't want to waste the company's time knowing I really don't want to stay there. And how do I interview for a job while working/commuting long hours?

Do I just suck it up and keep the long-commute job?

If I would be called for an interview, how would I explain all this in an and still have an employer consider me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
You probably shouldn't bother putting the most recent jobs in your resume. General rule of thumb is to not put it on the resume unless you worked there over three months...

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
First a few things...

Is that 37.5 hours considered full time? Are you receiving benefits?

In all honesty I know of people that drive well over that amount. Heck I've done about 50 each way and I can relate to being about 6 miles from work.

But the thing is frankly you cannot force an employer to move. If an employer can move but you cannot then who has the advantage? One of the biggest issues I see with people finding work is they don't want to relocate and they don't want to have a longer commute.

I know in a world of high speed internet, amazon prime and on demand tv that we expect that everything should eventually become faster. But frankly that isn't always the case.

Interstates might not be nice to drive on but in many cases it's the only real choice

In Mass we have I90 and it's also a toll road (mass pike). Yes there is a way around it of rt 2 but it's further north and MUCH slower, even factoring in traffic. And yet plenty drive on them each day. Not everyone can afford to work in the same place they live.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
First a few things...

Is that 37.5 hours considered full time? Are you receiving benefits?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
In all honesty I know of people that drive well over that amount. Heck I've done about 50 each way and I can relate to being about 6 miles from work.

But the thing is frankly you cannot force an employer to move. If an employer can move but you cannot then who has the advantage? One of the biggest issues I see with people finding work is they don't want to relocate and they don't want to have a longer commute.

I know in a world of high speed internet, amazon prime and on demand tv that we expect that everything should eventually become faster. But frankly that isn't always the case.

Interstates might not be nice to drive on but in many cases it's the only real choice
My husband drives 38 miles each way to work and it takes him over an hour. However, he makes double what I do and he's working 40 hours. I guess I just have to get used to it. What sucks is I started this job in the winter...and even though I've driven in nasty weather since I started driving, I really, really hate to put my life in danger for a job that pays $14/hr. That's the part that is fuel for making my decision.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
You probably shouldn't bother putting the most recent jobs in your resume. General rule of thumb is to not put it on the resume unless you worked there over three months...

I don't. The problem comes when I have to fill out a job application and have to list jobs, starting with the most recent. That I have a problem with.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH JOB HOPPING.

people just like to demonize it for some reason. you need to make better decisions when choosing a job.

job hopping is meant to be a way of advancing yourself, as some people walk into a new job and later realize its a dead end or they are underemployed.

i would not list this job on the application as your current employer. i would just put the long term positions on your resume and application. if they ask just say you have been seeking new employment, do not tell them you are not employed, they may or may not ask this question.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
We're halfway through Winter, I think you should tough it out for at least one year. Switching jobs so much affects your benefits coverage and ability to get other work. When Spring comes, you won't be so stressed about the commute. Then this time next year you can bail with a little bit better (though not much) work history. Tough it out!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
What do you drive?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
We're halfway through Winter, I think you should tough it out for at least one year. Switching jobs so much affects your benefits coverage and ability to get other work. When Spring comes, you won't be so stressed about the commute. Then this time next year you can bail with a little bit better (though not much) work history. Tough it out!
That's what I keep telling myself.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
What do you drive?
2012 Ford Escape with really good snow tires. Ya think I wouldn't freak out so much, huh? My husband's not worried but then again he's been driving like this for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment