Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM

790 posts, read 1,271,571 times

Advertisements

I guess it started with hostile takeovers in the 80s but it just seems these days people will throw you under the bus for $15/hr. It just seems crazy to me the way humans treat each other in the corporate environment. Not even co-workers but executives are by far the worst scum bags of them all. Anyone else have this feeling or can lay some insight into the whole "hey this is business so i will ********* over no matter what" mantra?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM

160 posts, read 267,466 times
I know right..everyone in management is a suspect. Im going through problem with my boss right now.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,307,631 times
Business profits are one of the few things that can be easily calculated and quantified. At the executive level, it’s all about the numbers. The trend of consolidation that started in the 80s made this even worse by creating larger and larger national, and multi-national, corporations where executive-level management have no way of knowing who actually works for them on a personal level.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM

582 posts, read 780,433 times
The percentage of snakes in management and not in management is about the same. Those in management do have more power so their ability to inflict pain is greater. Part of the problems is that union contracts, the civil law system and government regulation hinder managers from addressing each case on it's own. So a employee that is 5 minutes late one time a year gets treated the same as an employee that is 5 minutes late once a month. The sad fact is that if you set a rule forgiving being late once a month many employees will believe it is their right to be late once a month and try for two.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,461,189 times
Businesses tend to reward sociopaths and elevate them in power.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,831,581 times
I think it's unfair to say this is corporate that does this only. You see it everywhere. However I will say you do see it more in larger companies, because managers/execs are more territorial and have more to "lose". I have seen it so many times. It's sad, it's almost like Republicans vs. Democrats. People don't look out for the benefit of the company, they work against each other for their own interests.

That is why I prefer small companies. That political playing and backstabbing doesn't get you far because it becomes very apparent what one is doing. So if you have bad behavior, it will come to light MUCH MUCH faster in a small company than in a large one.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,045,122 times
There have been studies that have shown that outside of prisons, the next most common place to find sociopaths is in management positions. It's not surprising, really - the current corporate culture rewards backstabbing and throwing people under the bus in the name of greater profits. Oh, sure - it may kill the company in the long run (or even the nation), but who cares so long as profits this quarter are up and everyone at the top gets their big bonus!

Sadly, snakes are everywhere these days. You just can't trust anyone at work anymore. Too many people, too few jobs, and a culture that rewards "results" - which really means "making money even if you basically killed a guy to do it." It's sick...

Old 02-05-2014, 04:03 PM

836 posts, read 1,665,020 times
After decades as a worker bee and supervisor, I'm convinced some are in business merely for the havoc they can render to others.

They may have started with the best of intentions but now they are beasts.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
The percentage of snakes in management and not in management is about the same. Those in management do have more power so their ability to inflict pain is greater. Part of the problems is that union contracts, the civil law system and government regulation hinder managers from addressing each case on it's own. So a employee that is 5 minutes late one time a year gets treated the same as an employee that is 5 minutes late once a month. The sad fact is that if you set a rule forgiving being late once a month many employees will believe it is their right to be late once a month and try for two.
I beg to differ. If a mgr treats someone who was late 5 min. once a month the same as someone who is a chronic offender, no one, no law, no union made that happen. That is just an ignorant, evil jerk who is probably engaging in ugly socio-politics. Managers have plenty of discretion to exercise mature and fair conduct toward employees. What the law proposes to do is curtail treating employees differently who have equivalent offenses (to stick with the example you cite).

If you think the mistreated employee can just run into the loving arms of civil law, here's some myth busting: Civil law will help your employer kick your bleeping arse. And the reason why that is and will be the case is because of conservatism in America. Once civil laws that start out with just intentions grind their way through legislatures, they end up being rendered as harmless as possible to the ruling class/employer class.

So the righty leaning blame-the-gov't and unions for reptilian behavior in the workplace is giving a pass to the jerks in Corporate America.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,045,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I beg to differ. If a mgr treats someone who was late 5 min. once a month the same as someone who is a chronic offender, no one, no law, no union made that happen. That is just an ignorant, evil jerk who is probably engaging in ugly socio-politics. Managers have plenty of discretion to exercise mature and fair conduct toward employees. What the law proposes to do is curtail treating employees differently who have equivalent offenses (to stick with the example you cite).

If you think the mistreated employee can just run into the loving arms of civil law, here's some myth busting: Civil law will help your employer kick your bleeping arse. And the reason why that is and will be the case is because of conservatism in America. Once civil laws that start out with just intentions grind their way through legislatures, they end up being rendered as harmless as possible to the ruling class/employer class.

So the righty leaning blame-the-gov't and unions for reptilian behavior in the workplace is giving a pass to the jerks in Corporate America.
Basically, yes.

This nation's warped obsession with granting more power to those who have it while stripping power from those who lack it is a huge part of the problem. It blows my mind to watch poverty-stricken people vote in favor of candidates who have made it quite clear that they support the ruling elite only and would gladly throw 99% of the nation to the wolves if they could get the chance. While neither party is worth much, you have to wonder why people would flat-out vote against their own best interests just in the hope that those in charge will "stick it" to the people a bit further down the socioeconomic scale. In short, it's okay to vote for some clown who destroys jobs provided he doesn't destroy *your* job... just the jobs of those "lazy / uneducated / whatever" people who make slightly less than you do. That's the system today, and it is unreal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment