Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What comes closest to your view of corporate America, scaled 1-7
1 - A warm fuzzy nurturing place that makes all my dreams come true 3 3.80%
2 1 1.27%
3 4 5.06%
4 - Meh, neiither good nor bad. 6 7.59%
5 8 10.13%
6 15 18.99%
7 - A soulless evil mostrosity designed to maximize profits and crush anything that gets in its way (inlcuding its own employees!) 42 53.16%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,647 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Corporate America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
It's hard to define "Corporate America". My guess is you are really talking about the Fortune 500 / 100 who set the cultural tone for demeanor, dress, attitude, etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It's hard to define "Corporate America". My guess is you are really talking about the Fortune 500 / 100 who set the cultural tone for demeanor, dress, attitude, etc.
Yep

They are what I consider to be corporate america...

Old 02-01-2008, 01:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I have no problem with corporate America, especially if any of the members can offer me a job in the Phoenix area.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
I work for a Fortune 500 company that treats employees better than most, although I've seen changes over the last 10 years that are not to the employees benefit. During my Dad's years with a Fortune 500 company, there seemed to be more caring on the part of the company. Now it's just about money. I keep hearing - 'we have to do more with less'. What a crock of crap. I wonder if that applies to the CEO or just us working guys.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:58 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
I’ve worked for two fortune 100 companies and as long as you are 20 – 30 something you are golden. Once you turn 40 look out.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I work for a Fortune 500 company that treats employees better than most, although I've seen changes over the last 10 years that are not to the employees benefit. During my Dad's years with a Fortune 500 company, there seemed to be more caring on the part of the company. Now it's just about money. I keep hearing - 'we have to do more with less'. What a crock of crap. I wonder if that applies to the CEO or just us working guys.
they rarely do with less. the last company I worked for,they kept laying off people (thousands) and the CEO and his cronies got multi-million dollar bonuses.

oh, and they replaced the people with people working overseas, so, now much of your private banking info is available to people on the other side of the world...

Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
they rarely do with less. the last company I worked for,they kept laying off people (thousands) and the CEO and his cronies got multi-million dollar bonuses.

oh, and they replaced the people with people working overseas, so, now much of your private banking info is available to people on the other side of the world...
Yes, this whole idea of having your personal information stored and available overseas is very scary. Most of those half-a$$ed countries don't have the proper protections and regulations in place to protect sensitive data adequately. Of course the high-end execs don't care, they're just looking for cheap labor and bigger bonuses. The only thing that will stop this abuse is good lawsuits that hit them in the pocketbook and impact their bonus. That gets their attention.

Even in America, our regulations are laxer than they should be to adequately protect people's personal information. I work in Information Security and constantly come across and read about breaches of confidential data. While I don't like the state of California, they do have the best consumer protections for personal information. I wish their standards were adopted nationwide.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,399 times
Angry Corporate America kills its employees

"...Corporate America has one goal; to please the stockholder. The customer and employee are left to suffer the consequences and, in turn, the nation suffers..."
This is a quote I found by someone named Evan Stair [SIZE=1]http://goinside.com/98/8/greed.html[/SIZE]

There are wonderful corporations in our country, like Google for example, who are not just a mindless self-serving entity and strives to please the customer without maiming its employees. And Google has ruined it for me because now I think every corporation should operate this way, but unfortunately they don't.

One of my biggest gripes: There's always an idiot somewhere in an ivory tower hundreds of miles away making decisions about the lives and welfare of its employees, shuffling them around like chess pieces, and ruining the cohesiveness of the workplace. Insane mandates will drift down to the "front line" from above and cause a huge ruckus. Usually everything is running fine until this happens. A hallmark of Corporate America is this: the employees on the "front line" of the corporation meet and greet the public, keep the company's good image alive, breaking their necks for $8.00/hour while the corporate idiots above try to make their lives as miserable as possible. These employees will last about 6 months, and then resign in exasperation and burnout after hundreds of dollars spent by the company to train them. The turnover rate is enormous and the idiots at the top feel the financial strain so they hand down more mandates and increase the pressure on their employees, which makes life even more miserable for them, thereby making the company's customer service worse, which in turn puts more strain on the company's finances, and.... you get the picture.

Good plan, eh? If I were running a company, this is just exactly how I'd do it... if I were a monkey!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
coming from an accounting/business background, definitely 7. The only reason they will act ethically is if their bottom line is at risk. Otherwise, Enron here we come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment