Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

I have a BS in health science, and don't want to go back to my former career. I am considering going back to school to be an RN. Are RN's in demand in all areas, including school nurses, doctors offices, and public health nursing; or are hospitals the only places hurting for nurses? I want to know if I would have a chance of getting one of those types of jobs, or if those are the most desirable, and fill up first. I live in the Denver area, if anyone has info specific to my location. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Hospitals and long-term care remain the big hiring facilities. The other areas you mention are coveted because of easier work and regular hours. Also, needs are regional. In my area, Boston, there are a lot of over-educated people, so jobs that aren't heavy lifting are hard to get.
If you can get into critical care in some way (two 12-hour shifts? Pro-rated benefits?) you can write your own ticket, including financially, almost anywhere.
I don't know anything about Denver, sorry. But my guess is the "softer" jobs are harder to get. People get in the saddle and stay there. The pay isn't there, but the hours and easier work are. A lot of the softer jobs require a BSN, not because you learn more (my biased opinion) but because they can get away with demanding it.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM

thanks brightdoglover. That's what I figured.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:02 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I have a BS in health science, and don't want to go back to my former career. I am considering going back to school to be an RN. Are RN's in demand in all areas, including school nurses, doctors offices, and public health nursing; or are hospitals the only places hurting for nurses? I want to know if I would have a chance of getting one of those types of jobs, or if those are the most desirable, and fill up first. I live in the Denver area, if anyone has info specific to my location. Thanks.

Look in your local paper or on-line for nursing jobs - there are lots of them. The problem in many areas right now is getting into nursing school! Many schools have quite a waiting list. Also, if you're serious about returning to school, look for an accelerated nursing program, there are even accelerated master's programs.

I don't know about the Denver area, but most of those "cushy" nursing jobs usually require some nursing experience before you can get into them. So, you're going to have to start somewhere. As for working in a hospital setting, remember nursing is shift work, usually 12-hour shift, but some still run 8-hour shifts. Many hospitals offer what is called a "weekend option" where you're paid more to work weekends. In a local hospital here, nurses work 60 hours in a two week period (weekends-four days and one day during the week), which is five days at their hourly rate, then get an additional 20 hours of pay at the same rate....so work 60 and get paid for 80 - not a bad deal at all!

Another option to consider is "travel nursing." You sign on with a company and take assignments all over the country. They pay is good, many furnish housing accommodations, travel pay and expenses, etc.

Basically, you can't go wrong with nursing, there are so many options and lots of jobs out there - you don't have to worry about getting laid off, etc. Just look around and check into some of the nursing boards on line, there is a lot of information out there. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Thanks. I heard metro state in Denver has a 13 month program for people who already have a BS in HS. That's what got me thinking about it. I have young kids, so scheduling will be important, and traveling will not be an option.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Within the last year or so, 60 Minutes ran a report on how demand for RNs is astronomical. So much so, they are being recruited from other countries- particularly English-speaking countries such as Ireland or South Africa. This is causing a scarcity in some places such as South Africa as they take up offers over here.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM

81 posts, read 341,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Within the last year or so, 60 Minutes ran a report on how demand for RNs is astronomical. So much so, they are being recruited from other countries- particularly English-speaking countries such as Ireland or South Africa. This is causing a scarcity in some places such as South Africa as they take up offers over here.
Yes this is true...my mom's hospital has recruited nurses from the Phillipines, England and So. Africa. One of the So African nurses got mad because everyone was having a hard time understanding her heavy accent, so she quit! (My moms a RN in California)

Also I agree about getting into nursing school to be tough...Where Im at the waiting list is ridiculous...Im actually training to be a Phleb (and taking some math classes soon hopefully) while I wait to get in!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 AM

188 posts, read 662,799 times
I have worked in the 'cushier' nursing jobs for about the last eight years (keep in mind that even though outpatient jobs are considered 'cushy' they can be just as much work, even more - just the hours are better!) and I can say that in MOST cases you really need to put your 'dues' in doing a hospital inpatient job first.

There are of course exceptions if you know someone or make a special impression, but in general most nurses I know including myself put their time in doing crappy night shifts/weekends/holidays on a med surg floor or an emergency room. (At the time, I PREFERRED night shifts, but not anymore).

As for the pay, some outpatient jobs pay about the same, especially if you get into an outpatient clinic/MD office that is part of a bigger organization where nurses are all on the same pay scale. Independent MD offices and clinics generally have much lower pay. I've recently taken a position in nursing research that has a pretty disappointing salary, but I enjoy the job and pay is pretty low in general for all positions in my area.

I used to be in IT - I loved IT, but I can say I am more confident in my ability to get a job as an RN!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:30 PM

150 posts, read 857,811 times
According to most of the published studies, the nursing shortage is about to get worse as many of us "baby boomers" will soon be retiring (well, we were until the economy started going crazy with banks failing and the cost of gas driving up basically the cost of everything else). There is a shortage of nurses willing to work in hospitals and long term care because nurses my age have put their time in on the floors and have manged to "snag" some of the so called cushy jobs. I have worked in various nursing positions including upper management but for the last 10 years or so I have held jobs related to managed care. Working for an insurance company is considered "going to the dark side" but I prefer to work a M-F job where I do not have to work holidays or have doctors/patients/patient's families yelling at me.

Getting into nursing school could require you to possibly move. But there is an ongoing push to get nurses to enter the teaching field so schools can increase class size. When I entered nursing school 28yrs ago, classes were small and there was fierce competition to obtain a spot in the class. Today the classes are still small, but because of the lack of instructors not because schools prefer to be selective. There are many community colleges offering a 2 year AD program where you can get to work quickly. And there are many universities that offer bridge programs that allow you to work (with your AD) while working on your BSN or a BSN-MSN.

I agree you will most likely have to put in your time working the floors in order to secure a job in what most consider cushy. Working for an insurance company required at least 2 years of acute care experience. Public health or community nursing also requires some basic nursing experience. And every doctor office ad I've seen lately specifically states experience is needed. But to be honest with you, you really should have some basic nursing experience before you look for a job outside a hospital. I graduated with a BSN and went directly into the critical care area. Bad mistake. I was tripping over trash cans and struggling to do the basics like I&O's and passing meds. After 6 months of crying I transferred out to a Med-Surg floor where I worked for 4 years. Nursing made SOOOO much more sense when I had worked the floor for a couple of years. I don't regret those years at all as they laid the foundation for me to return back to critical care and on to Post Anesthesia Nursing, Neuro Rehab, LTAC and managed care.

Nursing is a terrific field because there are hundreds of opportunities to try something different. If you're wanting big bucks, travel and assignment nursing is the way to go especially if you are a critical care nurse. If you're wanting normal banker sort of hours, working for a managed care company is great. But if you want to learn what nursing is really all about, you've got to start on the floors.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment