Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Postal workers have very good compensation package, job security, longevity, almost guaranteed pension retirement plan yet they look like some of the most unhappiest workers on the planet.

Majority of American workers don't have job security nor longevity and very few have a guaranteed retirement plan.

Yet, I rarely see someone at Starbucks or Costco that look depressed and I see more are upbeat and friendly and they don't have the benefits package as good as a USPS worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
It's because of the nature of the job itself.

Pay and benefits actually don't have all that much to do with job satisfaction. If you enjoy doing the work, you will be happy. If it is a drudgery, you will be miserable.

When I look back on jobs I've had, I don't think "that one paid well, so I really liked it" or "that one didn't pay very well, so I hated it." My satisfaction with jobs has always had more to do with the people I worked with and what I was actually doing on a day to day basis.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Most postal workers aren't in this situation. They use a tremendous number of limited term / temp / contract employees.

That said Statisticnerds is 100% correct on the lack of correlation between compensation and satisfaction.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM

7,921 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Remember what Newman said about the post office

Seinfeld-Newman and the post office - YouTube

But seriously I'd put the post office against any other post office in the planet and they'd do quite well. Their tracking is as good if not better then ups/fed ex.

The issue with them is that they have a mandate to fund their pensions fully by themselves. I can't think of that many governmental organizations that do this. It's good and bad. Good for retirees but bad for current employees because it might not appear that they are putting that much towards new labor outside of seasonal changes.

Postal cuts are a bit of a paradox as those places where they make the least revenue are probably the most in need of the service (remote rural) and those where they make the bulk there is less need (urban areas). There's some interesting ideas of potentially making a bank that might service rural areas. Personally I think turning some of them into internet cafes to expand broadband access might also work.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But seriously I'd put the post office against any other post office in the planet and they'd do quite well. Their tracking is as good if not better then ups/fed ex.
I seriously disagree with this, their tracking system is as ancient as Windows 95. They often post incorrect tracking info and never up to the hour status. Several times I had a package that shows delivered but I don't have the package. I received the item 2 days later and I thought the package was lost. A postal worker explained that sometimes the delivery guy changed the status without actual delivery so he doesn't have to waste time entering the info during delivery.

When I sign for an UPS package, 20 mins later their tracking system shows it was signed for and what the signature looks like. Does USPS have this system? Nope, not even close.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,016 times
hmm I don't know. I live in the ghettos and our mail carriers looks pretty jolly to me

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 PM

144 posts, read 264,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yet, I rarely see someone at Starbucks or Costco that look depressed and I see more are upbeat and friendly and they don't have the benefits package as good as a USPS worker.
Actually, Costco has one of the best benefits packages in the industry which is probably why the turnover rate is so low. Employees are paid good money to be happy and "upbeat" robots, but this is an essential part of any retail/restaurant environment, and half of it is just for show. I would imagine postal workers are different because their job does not depend on direct content with customers who are potentially irate or ungrateful. They can just sort/send mail and get on with their day without worrying about wiping someone else's ass.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
it is the curse of those that work for the public to take on the face and behavior of those they serve.
the public's self perception is that they are nice cheerful polite people, even when they are yelling at you or letting their dog bite you while they laugh.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
As a postal worker myself, I am not unhappy, except with management. The philosophy of postal management is extreme micromanagement and hiring supervisors and managers with the personality and desire to carry that out. It leads to a lot of unnecessary workplace conflict with little care for creating a good working environment on the workroom floor.
I actually enjoy the delivering part of my job OK, because that is when I am out of the office away from the tyrants. I prefer to be outside delivering in cold rain, sleet and snow than being indoors at 68 degrees and dealing with management.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
One time my sister sent me a package from Peoria, IL to Chicago, IL (about 3 hours apart) via 2-day priority with tracking and insurance. 3 days later, I looked up the tracking and saw that it was now in Wisconsin. I called the local postmaster and he said there must have been something wrong with the to address and he assured me he'll look into this. A couple days later, I looked again and it was now in Indiana. Then after that it made its way back to Illinois. Finally came about a week later. I looked at the printed label and there was nothing wrong with either the to address or from address.

No wonder the USPS is losing people's trust. Just 3 hours apart sent via priority and it made it to 2 other states before coming back to this one. And the postmaster tried to blame it on the printed label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment