Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 PM

27 posts, read 111,563 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I have a few questions for the experienced folks of this forum regarding a career in software development. For reference, I am about to graduate with my mechanical engineering degree in May of this year. I received a job offer in November of last year as a manufacturing engineer for $70k, which starts as soon as I graduate.

However, I've begun to take an interest in software development. I really enjoyed the programming courses I took during my degree and I'm hoping to parlay that into a career. As I've researched the topic, I've come up with a few of questions and concerns to which I can't really find answers. I'm hoping some software developers that frequent this forum can lend me their insight into the field.

First, should I return to school for a degree in computer science given my degree in mechanical engineering? I've read many forum posts on this topic but most of these questions pertain to people who received non-technical undergraduate degrees. I'm mainly asking with regards to getting a first job in the field as I've heard that after you get some experience in your first job, your degree is not really important for remaining in the field. Furthermore, I've read that a lot of people have been able to get jobs in software development after an unrelated degree by self-teaching, creating applications, contributing to open-source projects, and posting their code on GitHub. Does that sound right?

Second, if you suggest a degree, would it be better to pursue a second bachelors or a masters? I have researched it and I would need about 4 or 5 undergraduate courses in computer science to be eligible for a masters. Also, the schools in Colorado that I would like to attend require you to have these prerequisites in order to be admitted for the masters.

Third, would it be silly to make such a career change? Mechanical engineering is a decent field but I think I'd be happier developing software. Also, I want to relocate to a particular state (Colorado) and the market for mechanical engineers seems to be very weak there whereas the market for software engineers is booming. BLS statistics show 4900 mechanical engineers in Colorado with a median salary of about $85k whereas there are 21k applications developers and 11k systems developers with a median salary of about $92 and $102k, respectively.

To be clear, the money isn't a huge deal to me. The most important thing to me regarding work is enjoying what I do and being in a location that allows me to pursue my hobbies outside of work, which would be in a mountain state.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
First off, yes there are a lot more jobs for software engineers, but there's also a lot more competition.

I would say to try out engineering to see how you like it. That's a good offer for an entry level BSME. It's definitely on the high end.

But yea, you have a degree and a job. Try it. See if you like it. If you don't, then you can plan your switch to computers.

I am assuming you are traditional 22 and not like 34 and just graduating after a career change or something.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Take the mechanical engineering job. Get to know the IT people at your company and buddy up with them. Use the company's tuition reimbursement to get your degree in computer science. Try transitioning internally from mechanical engineering to the IT department and go from there.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Thank you for the reply jobaba. I really appreciate it.

For the record, I'm 27. I didn't go to college right after high school because I couldn't afford it and I didn't qualify for financial aid due to my parents' income. This will be my first real career after starting college at 23.

Out of curiosity, are you a developer? If so, what are your thoughts on the formal BSCS versus self-teaching?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 PM

That's a really good suggestion, Charlygal. I'll have to see what the work environment will be like. As the job is primarily based out of a manufacturing facility, I'm not sure if there will be any software developers around. If there are, I'll definitely try to learn from them and get my foot in the door.

Would this work long distance? For example, I'll be working in a different state than the headquarters office and I'm sure there are staff developers there. Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,404 times
Are you sure you have a passion for Software Development? How do you know? Do some software development in your spare time. Still like then think about a career change.

Third, would it be silly to make such a career change?

Hell yes, it would be. It's wayyyy harder to outsource a Mechanical Engineering position. I am an ME and work as a blue collared Production Engineer. I do prototype machining, CAD, CAM, CNC, stuff for a small company and get about the same salary they are offering you after 3 years of working here, so just that alone should make you realize what a great deal you are being offered.

Software Development uses a universal language where a limited knowledge of English would make you every bit as competitive as the next guy. Get what I'm saying? Think how easy it is to outsource software development.

Here is what I think you should do and why.

Take this job and get some experience. If you go back to school your work experience will be nil and you won't be as attractive to employers. It will look like you were indecisive and couldn't commit to the real world. Remember, anything you learn is valuable. The things you learn from this prospective job may be key to the ultimate goal of all Americans, being your own boss. Look at Sahid Kahn, he went from employee engineer to billionaire. You could also do your regular job, and then maybe take classes, or, better yet, find a programming genius who may be able to mentor you. Some of the best programmers I know commanding the highest price tags have NEVER stepped foot in a college. It's about passion and natural ability.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 02-16-2014 at 10:22 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
The self-taught software developer thing really depends. Of course it is possible, but In general there will always be big name fortune 100 companies where a degree is pretty much a necessity (and an ME degree would certainly suffice with the right experience). I work in software development, and id say you have a really good deal. Take the job to pay your bills, and after work, In the afternoons, try out some free cs courses on udacity or coursera. Find some volunteer work to get yourself known. You can find a software job without a cs degree, especially if you are an engineer. There are highly technical cs jobs where you would need to aquire advanced cs knowledge from a degree such as a scientific researcher or working for something like Sandia labs. But there are still tons of software jobs you can qualify for with some cs courses or books coupled with your technical degree. Heck your engineering job may even have tuition reimbursement that would pay for a masters in cs. That is actually quite common for engineering majors to pursue a cs masters, of course there will be leveling classes as you already know.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:37 AM

14 posts, read 82,281 times
So for what this is worth... I'm the Director of Software Engineering at a biotech company in socal. Been developing software for 15+ years... before that I was a biologist.

I have hired a lot of software engineers, you know what I look for? Passion and interest and THEN skill. Soft skills really are important to me. I don't care so much what your degree is in. Comp sci shows me you have the mind to understand logic and problem solving... but so does a degree in ME.

As an example, I have an absolute rock star Sr. Programmer working for me right now, he doesn't have a 4 year degree. Just a GED. But man, that guy can code. And not hack either, very solid mature code. So do I think it's worth it for you to go back to school and get a degree in computer science? I doubt it. Take some courses at your community college if you think you are lacking after your ME. But then again, I've known a few ME's who were quite good programmers. Maybe that's you.

Does programming seem fun to you? Then go for it. Your ME degree will just help you get in the door.

Fact- most college grad software engineers are not better equipped to do this job than you are. I've interviewed a lot of college comp sci grads and was dismayed at how little they actually knew.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
I think the comments nicros made are pretty much on the money. I've been supporting software development organizations for over 25 years. I started out as a programmer but decided early on that I preferred doing system administration, network management and dealing with people than slinging code.

Back when I began all software developers were trained in something else. We had Geologists, Musicians, Medical Technicians, Avionic Technicians, Security Police (in the Air Force) and even computer operators. I felt that the mix of backgrounds was actually good in that it brough t different perspectives into the shop (and it really led top interesting lunchtime discussions). I can't believ these days that an ME doesn't need some pretty good software skills to begin with. The move to CAD/CAM, computer simulation, etc means that you should have a good understanding of principles just to be good as an ME. You can pick up the skills you need to actually sling code either through self paced instruction or focused courses at technical or community colleges. After that it is a matter of using the skills. I do believe that getting a Masters degree in a computer related discipline would be a good step. You may have to pick up some pre requisite courses along the way (Data Structuctures and/or Operating Systems are common pre reqs that you probably don't have)

Allthough it would be good to get to know the IT folks at your new job (and YES I would take the ME job you have been offered) remember that very often IT means network and Office support not software development. They will be more concerned with network operations, distributing and supporting the standard set of office automation tools and server backup and support not developing software, slinging code, and managing software development teams

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,928 times
70k to start? TAKE THE ME JOB. A lot of people who have been in that field for years still don't make that much.

If you are really that interested in coding then keep it as a hobby for now. It is important to remember that once you make software development your JOB, then it will be your manager or your boss or your company president/etc that decides what kind of projects that you get to work on.

If you keep it as a hobby, or side project then you get to choose what you work on and when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment