Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any trucking companies hiring in the Jacksonville area for a local truck driving job. My fiancé is looking for another truck driving job as the one he has now taxes aren't being taken out which means he has to pay his own taxes. He took this job after filling out 16 applications and no phone calls. His age may have something to do with it
He will be 59 this year. He's currently working 13 hrs a night, 6 nights a week and is only bringing home a little over $500 a week. Remember no taxes are taken out. He's been driving for years and has been with this job 8 months but it's time for him to find something in his field that pays a decent wage with taxes taken out. If anyone knows of any trucking companies here in the Jacksonville, Fl area who hire older drivers, please let us know as time is of the essence. We are really getting frustrated with the low pay and we believe there's something better for him out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 PM

42 posts, read 50,872 times
Unfortunately I can not recommend anything local or that is regional. And as it has been my experience it will be tough getting something like that our of Florida mainly because nothing comes out from the port of Miami. I mean it is one of the most useless commercial ports in America. Usually trucking companies hate sending drivers to Florida because more often than not they will have to either bob tail or dead head out the state in order to get a decent load.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:44 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensgal View Post
Does anyone know of any trucking companies hiring in the Jacksonville area for a local truck driving job. My fiancé is looking for another truck driving job as the one he has now taxes aren't being taken out which means he has to pay his own taxes. He took this job after filling out 16 applications and no phone calls. His age may have something to do with it
He will be 59 this year. He's currently working 13 hrs a night, 6 nights a week and is only bringing home a little over $500 a week. Remember no taxes are taken out. He's been driving for years and has been with this job 8 months but it's time for him to find something in his field that pays a decent wage with taxes taken out. If anyone knows of any trucking companies here in the Jacksonville, Fl area who hire older drivers, please let us know as time is of the essence. We are really getting frustrated with the low pay and we believe there's something better for him out there.
You might have better luck on The Trucker's Report.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives78 View Post
Unfortunately I can not recommend anything local or that is regional. And as it has been my experience it will be tough getting something like that our of Florida mainly because nothing comes out from the port of Miami. I mean it is one of the most useless commercial ports in America. Usually trucking companies hate sending drivers to Florida because more often than not they will have to either bob tail or dead head out the state in order to get a decent load.
I'm not a truck driver but I did spend many years in Savannah, GA and as I recall the port there is pretty busy with lots of truck driving opportunities.

It's 90 minutes from Jacksonville and I would assume pays more than the $6 an hour the OP's fiancé is getting for his 78 hour $500 weeks.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
Legally he cannot be working 78 hours a week, DOT rules will not allow that much work for a truck driver, also if he is really only bringing home $500 a week than he should have been looking for a job long ago.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Unfortunately, I do think age is a big factor. I would check out some truck driver forums to get more advice on what to do to get hired locally.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I'm not a truck driver but I did spend many years in Savannah, GA and as I recall the port there is pretty busy with lots of truck driving opportunities.

It's 90 minutes from Jacksonville and I would assume pays more than the $6 an hour the OP's fiancé is getting for his 78 hour $500 weeks.
I agree that there are truck driving opportunities for OTR that would pretty much anywhere in the continental US. However she was talking about regional routes and as far as Florida that is pretty scarce.

I know rookies wet behind the ears that make more than $500 a week and complain about it all the time. I really don't understand how he is making so little with a Class A CDL.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives78 View Post
I agree that there are truck driving opportunities for OTR that would pretty much anywhere in the continental US. However she was talking about regional routes and as far as Florida that is pretty scarce.

I know rookies wet behind the ears that make more than $500 a week and complain about it all the time. I really don't understand how he is making so little with a Class A CDL.
Truckers make money from the distances they drive, not the hours they work.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
You're mostly wrong about that. I work locally now and have been for nearly 3 years. I get paid by the hour, get time and a half after the 40th hour, paid double on holidays, paid per-diem for working more than 10hrs a day, get paid 10hr breaks while I'm on an overnight route, and some other perks that aren't afforded to long haulers.

The better money is in working for an hourly based, local company. However, one doesn't just go from trucking school into a local driving position. A person has to work their way toward it.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
That's partly true, which is why I said what I said A rookie OTR making .32 driving at least 600 miles a day should be taking home at least $900 a week after taxes. That is assuming you drive a governed truck and that you stick to just East of the Mississippi and don't do Texas at all. This is of course all assuming you are driving with a starter company like PTL, Swift etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment