Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,794,034 times

Advertisements

Does anyone do public speaking as a career? Could you describe it and how you began?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,830 times
Default Join a public speaking group

Nearly every city in America has an International Toastmaster group. This is a wonderful club where you learn all aspects of public speaking. You can find this organization on any search engine and find your local group on their homepage.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,661 times
I agree with Toastmasters for those wishing to become a better speaker.
In terms of a public speaking career, there are a few options that I've seen people succeed at pursuing:
- Hold workshops publicly or for organisations on speaking/presentation skills
- Motivational/Inspirational speaker
- Trainer on a specific topic: such as sales or marketing
- Create educational materials such as books/cds/dvds that teach public speaking or other area of expertise

I started with Toastmasters and currently have my own website with articles and products for people who want to feel less nervous and more confident about giving speeches: [url=http://speakersgeneration.com]Speakers Generation - The Essentials Guide to Public Speaking[/url]

Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,064,606 times
Toastmasters is a good place to start.

I love public speaking and also worked as a corporate trainer. Both were wonderful jobs. Loved both of them. If anyone will pay to hear what you have to say, you are in a great spot!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM

42 posts, read 79,301 times
I concur with Toastmasters International being a great place to start. I joined Toastmasters because of a recommendation from a very important man who told me how much it had helped him. It helped me to get over the fear of public speaking. Now I've gotten comfortable with it and pretty good and usually win Best Speaker or Best Table Topics wherever I do go to various meetings. I then started setting up speaking engagements to promote books I've written and other info products I've created. My first venture outside of Toastmasters was speaking at drug rehab and AA meetings (unpaid). (No I've never even tried drugs and never been a drinker but have written self-help, motivational books that are apropos to the topic.) But I felt it was a good place to start and allowed me to get my feet wet. It's not a full time career but I've done paid Public Speaking.

If you check out http://www.learningannex.com/ they have some good classes on the subject.

Easiest way to start is to do your own P.R., local papers often list "events" at no cost. Post flyers on bulletin boards and in targeted areas to reach your market. It's also fairly easy to get on local radio shows who are always looking for guests. If you can talk about the subject well you'll get free publicity and the chance to give out your number so people can pre-register for your event. Get them to call first if interested. Once you have enough interest, then get your location (community centers; churches; parks; hotel rooms or even a local store, salon, bookstore, diner, etc. that will host your event. Some will do it for FREE especially smaller diners that aren't that busy anyway and know that guests will buy food and drinks.)

If you have something to say or teach and promote it right people will show up. You can charge very little up front initially or make it a free event then sell them your follow-up stuff in the back of the room. Works well.

Good topics to speak on:
Motivation, self-help, positive thinking
Community Activist Issues
Relevant Political topics
Relationships
Parenting
Credit
Work from home opportunities
Avoiding Scams
Avoiding Foreclosure
Alternative Approaches to finding employment
Self-Defense
Investment Opportunities
Immigration issues

The subjects of self-defense; home-security; identity theft; cyber crimes; rape prevention; etc have worked well for me because it's easy to appeal to people's fears and desire to be safer.

Actually ANY topic is good IF you have some useful, valuable knowledge, experience or expertise in it. It's all about being able to find your market and getting them to show up. If you find them they will come (at least enough of 'em to make it worthwhile) ...regardless of the niche.

Last edited by ShortMan's advantage; 05-02-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment